Wall of static

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

O.k., i stream 39.640 Columbiana County Sheriff Dept, and Columbiana County Fire band at 154.040

The 39.640 from time to time is solid static, yes when they dispatch it breaks the static, but can anyone tell me why i am getting this Solid Static.

It comes and goes, but it is very bad when it happens, and since it is a streaming channel, anyone listening would surely shut it off.

Maybe i need a dedicated antenna for this band, but i have a feeling it will happen anyway.

Clues?, Tips?,Ideas?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A partial solution would be to use PL, I don't know of any Lo Band system that doesn't use it to avoid hearing "skip". The main thing is finding where the static is coming from and if it's a source under your control you're in luck. A dedicated antenna won't help, then you need a diplexer and the devil's in the details. As long as you're using an antenna proper for the band and not some bottle of snake oil you're OK in that department.

As for locating and eliminating noise sources please don't ask, that road has been traveled so much the ruts go all the way to China. Just use the search feature and read.

cg

Premium Subscriber
disconnect the antenna. If the interference persists, it is coming from the radio or something nearby. If it goes away, it is outside interference that you have to find & eliminate. If you have a handheld scanner you can try to duplicate the noise and then walk around looking for more or less noise.

Try unplugging all the wallwarts in the house and recheck. power the scanner from another source to check that one too. Linksys power supplies have caused lots of VHF Hi Band interference with my setup.

Shut off computers, monitors, routers, etc.

A last ditch effort would be to power the scanner from an outside source and kill all circuit breakers in the house.

Try another part of your area and see if it is in your room, house, property, street, neighborhood, etc

chris

digitalanalog

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.
I truly believe it's sometype of outside interference

But it totally destroys anything in the 39.00MHz band

Just my luck, my local PD and my local SO both use
this spectrum.

I guess i will go with a freq.specific antenna and hope that helps

Thanks again

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
digitalanalog said:
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.
I truly believe it's sometype of outside interference

But it totally destroys anything in the 39.00MHz band

Just my luck, my local PD and my local SO both use
this spectrum.

I guess i will go with a freq.specific antenna and hope that helps

Thanks again
Or you could do what kb2vxa suggested in the 4th post. Use the PL that your sheriff's office uses on the frequency. If the static still gets through after that, you have a radio problem, not a spectrum problem.

39.64000 39.26000 KQA358 RM 156.7 PL Sheriff FM Law Talk

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I still don't see how a "frequency specific" antenna will make any difference. Go ahead, as long as you're not wasting MY money I don't mind.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It could very easily be inside interference from computers. My streaming scanners currently just have their stock antennas on them - no external ants. And my computers wreak havoc on many frequencies, from VHF-LO to 800 Mhz. I have to run PL on Jefferson Co SO just so that I can scan it without interference. If I were to move my scanners away from the computer I typically don't have that problem.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.