"Wall-Wart" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Using a USB slot on my PC, and the included cable that came with the 436, to charge the
batteries in my BCD436.

Not sure of the voltage levels required.

Have a few of those "wall-warts" that plug into a normal 110 V AC wall socket, and output
to a normal USB cable.

Would these probably be O.K. also ?

Thanks,
B.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Wall wart

The wall warts are supposed to be 5v and usually 1 amp or slightly more, so they should be okay. Be careful with "bargain" ones, as they may not be regulated well and damage your scanner. The best advice, posted many times in the forums, is to use a good external charger. The charging circuit in scanners is not designed to handle the different battery capacities available, and I have had one scanner damaged by a battery that shorted. A good external charger will charge each cell individually, while charging in the scanner is done in series, which is a poor way to get maximum cell life.

K1IWN

I use a Smart IC USB charger for my gear. There is a chipset that automatically detects proper voltage to whichever device is plugged into it. A multi-port charger runs around $30. You can get them for the vehicle as well. Do a search on Amazon to find the right one to suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.