• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

walmart MURS , USING NFM ENSTEAD OF WFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
why is walmart using nfm on the wfm freqs of 154.570 and 154.600 ?

Likely because all of the new Motorola radios are coming programmed by default in Narrow mode to comply with the FCC mandate regardless of the permissible mode.

N4KVE

I don't know if the local Walmart is using wide, or narrow on 154.60, but my VHF MTS2000 is set to wide, & sounds fine. Volume is set to normal, not cranked up. Cleanup on aisle 4!

rapidcharger

Why don't you get in there and ask them.

Like this

YOU: "Breaker Green Dot, Breaker Green Dot. Ya got your ears on Wal*mart, C'mon?"

WAL*MART: "How did you get on our channel?! All associates, check for a missing walkie"

YOU: "I'm just curious why you're using narrowband on blue and green dots?"

WAL*MART: "Get off our channel. This is our channel. And give us back our walkie talkie!"

YOU: "But are you aware that you aren't required to be narrowband compliant on those two frequencies? I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice"

WAL*MART: "Sir, I'm not going to ask you again. Get off our channel and give us back our walkie talkie"

In seriousness, and in addition to replies #2, and #3, I don't think you can buy a MURS radio that has wideband any more.
If they had one of the grandfathered ones from a hundred years ago, great but I seriously doubt that they do.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
I am sure radios come from placing a order with mother Wally.....turn them on and off they go.....regardless to whom they could be interfering with or if there narrow or wide....there told to use channel one.....life goes on...

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The walmarts in Lubbock use Moto cls series. SAMs uses murs though.

The simple answer is, the field programmable radios are all narrowband only now. Even new icoms you must request wideband firmware if you're a ham or lmr user running on wideband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why is walmart using nfm on the wfm freqs of 154.570 and 154.600 ?

The RDX RDM2080d manual says nothing about the Narrowband mandate. I know they use the RDM2070d but it is basicly the samething. The RDX RDV2080d manual does say something about the Narrowband mandate in it. I think it says that because it mentions the 27 Business freqs.

SCPD

QRT
The RDX RDM2080d manual says nothing about the Narrowband mandate. I know they use the RDM2070d but it is basicly the samething. The RDX RDV2080d manual does say something about the Narrowband mandate in it. I think it says that because it mentions the 27 Business freqs.

The RDV2080d included a little white addendum which said that the radio is set for narrow band by default. You need to buy the USB cable and download the software to re-program.

BTW, the business band radios do not include MURS frequencies and you cannot reprogram as they use specific frequencies. The RDM2080d model is MURS ready and is likely programmed as per the requirements of the band.

It's possible though that they're reprogramming all new radios for NFM exclusively.

The RDV2080d included a little white addendum which said that the radio is set for narrow band by default. You need to buy the USB cable and download the software to re-program.

BTW, the business band radios do not include MURS frequencies and you cannot reprogram as they use specific frequencies. The RDM2080d model is MURS ready and is likely programmed as per the requirements of the band.

It's possible though that they're reprogramming all new radios for NFM exclusively.

I know the business band radios do not include MURS in it. The only one is the XTN. It is possible that they reprogrammed the new radios. It is Wal-Mart :roll:.

wtp

nfm,fm,wfm

could you please stop calling fm by another name.
wfm is very wide,as in fm radio wide
wfm is 75 Khz
fm is 12.5
nfn is 5

it will be less confusing for some.

wfm is 75 Khz
fm is 12.5
nfn is 5

I always submit Wal-Mart in the database as either "FM" or "FMN". All I know is "FMN" is Narrowband and "FM" is Wideband. Now I know the right way to say it thank you.

KF5YDR

wfm is 75 Khz
fm is 12.5
nfn is 5

That's...no. FM is a modulation method, the term doesn't inherently imply a bandwidth.

When people refer to wideband FM in the context of two-way radio, they're talking about 5 kHz deviation (or rarely, 1960s wideband which was 15 kHz). Narrowband is 2.5 kHz.

KF5YDR

Yeah, I wish it was still around. I guess we can run pretty much any deviation we want on ham bands, maybe we can bring it back as an experimental mode. Kind of like the OM's ragchewing on 75m AM.

N4KVE

Years ago when I was a kid, there was a local taxi company using Motorola business dispatchers. While riding in the cab, the taxi dispatcher's voice sounded like broadcast FM radio. But that was another world. Everyone smoked, cars polluted, & grocery stores used paper bags. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.