• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Walmart MURS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello, I was curious about Walmarts MURS Channels. I have them programmed in on my Baofeng UV-82 and I can hear them but they cant hear me? Anyway of fixing this? I saw something about turning Duplex to Off on the CHIRP Programming Software but that didn't seem to work. Anyway on ,making it to were they can hear me?

chekoz77

Do you work at Walmart? And if so did they approve your use of a personal radio?

If the answer to both is no....why would you want to transmit on an in use frequency? Other than to cause problems.

Voyager

Actually, WalMart does not *usually* use MURS. They are a licensed Part 90 user. They do share the same frequencies as the MURS service. I have seen one store that uses MURS, but nearly all use 154.600 or 154.570 and, again, are licensed users.

Maybe they are just ignoring you as they should be trained to do with unknown transmissions.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
154.600 and 154.570 are both MURS frequencies. They did have a Part 90 license but moved to the MURS radios several years ago. This info is from an FCC NAL several years ago.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I don't think the OP was looking for legal advice. Thanks for everyone's input, though!

Anyway, on to the OP's question. It is possible that Wal-Mart is using CTCSS or DCS on their radios. This is a method to reduce unwanted interference. You can read more about it on the wiki here and here. If this is the case, you will need to figure out what CTCSS tone or DCS code they are using. Some radios have a "tone scan" or similarly named function that will try to figure out what tone is being used on the frequency. Check your radio's manual (or do some googling) to determine if your radio has such a function. If it doesn't, your only other choice is to try every tone and DCS code to see if one of them works.

For what it's worth, the Wal-Mart stores around me don't use CTCSS. But, your store may do things differently, especially if they are in a crowded area where there might be a lot of interference.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I don't think the OP was looking for legal advice. Thanks for everyone's input, though!

Anyway, on to the OP's question. It is possible that Wal-Mart is using CTCSS or DCS on their radios. This is a method to reduce unwanted interference. You can read more about it on the wiki here and here. If this is the case, you will need to figure out what CTCSS tone or DCS code they are using. Some radios have a "tone scan" or similarly named function that will try to figure out what tone is being used on the frequency. Check your radio's manual (or do some googling) to determine if your radio has such a function. If it doesn't, your only other choice is to try every tone and DCS code to see if one of them works.

For what it's worth, the Wal-Mart stores around me don't use CTCSS. But, your store may do things differently, especially if they are in a crowded area where there might be a lot of interference.

Thus the reason many posters are trying to tell him if he isn't authorized to talk with Walmart, why do it?

Voyager

154.600 and 154.570 are both MURS frequencies. They did have a Part 90 license but moved to the MURS radios several years ago. This info is from an FCC NAL several years ago.

They weren't moved. They are shared. There are still licensed Part 90 users who can exceed the MURS limitations. The other three frequencies are MURS only. This info is from FCC Part 90.

RAD909

The facts about MURS....

MURS is an unlicensed radio service in the US. It can be used for either personal or business use. BUT it is limited to 2 watts of power, so your talk range is limited. Your radio must be certified for MURS use because of the limitations. The channels on a MURS radio come pre-programmed, MURS operates in the VHF 151 and 154 MHz frequency range. Here is a link to some more information on MURS radio https://quality2wayradios.com/store/recreational-walkie-talkie/murs-two-way-radio

If Walmart is really using MURS then there is nothing to prevent you from hearing them if you are on another MURS radio and within range (remember MURS has a limited range). My guess as to why you can't hear them is either one of these reasons:

You are out of range
You are not on the MURS frequencies (or CTCSS codes they are using)
Walmart is not actually using MURS

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
MURS

Both Sam's Club and the Walmarts in my area use the Murs frequencies and radios. I have both monitored them and observed the Motorola radios used. Very simple HTs using a standard PL tone. It is amazing some of the radios work at all given the way they are treated by employees. I saw one the other day missing the antenna outer covering, and the spring had been bent into a loop and the top attached to the bottom.

SCPD

QRT
The wal mart areas here El paso and las cruces use dcs/dpl with all with 154.570 as channel 1 in csq and ch 4 with dpl. I don't have the sticky on me but they do use dpl. Not that it's a buggy but got to read one of the radios once by chance from a friend.

SCPD

QRT
I assume he works there or wants to create interference. I'll suggest if it's the second case I wouldnt. From what I understand my friend said who is a purchasing manager was asked with other managers if they have problems with the radios. When he asked why they mentioned they are considering to get more better ones in problem areas and said there working out the privacy option in the new offered radios. He said it looked mototrbo. Only in areas whom have the interference they are looking into it and coughing up for licenses in future. He said this would only be a option if they had too much interference as the recent black friday sales they had a few stores with problems of radio interference. It was explained when they told the old vendor who supported the cp110 the reply was a mototrbo lookong radio with privacy keys would be a ideal solution for it and to ensure loss prevention.

SCPD

QRT

I agree. They seem to use a uniform roll out for murs. Ch 1 being 154.570 csq followed by the rest using dpl and the additional ones in csq. From past if they got interference they'd just go to wal mart murs 4 and it would be 154.570 with a dpl until the person was gone. I recall reading in the upper east coast a few problem stores with interference went to that 900 mhz moto business freq hopping radio in digital format.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe they are just ignoring you as they should be trained to do with unknown transmissions.

Most likely the store he is at uses a dpl due to exactly what he's trying to do. As for ignoring I'm sure over time If they'd have enough problems they'd tell others not to reply. But as far as normal training nothing is ever said about the "walkies" they call them. Most the employees have no clue other turn the channel knob with the rest and press the ptt. It kind of bothers me if someone wants to create interference. It tends to lead to the unspoken solution in business and government. If he works there there would be a easy way for him to get the dpl info.

Status
Not open for further replies.