• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody successfully set up the uv-5r to work on the walmart frequencies? If not is there another radio that is equivalency there of? I have a Motorola that is set up for walmart But Im confused on the uv-5r. Im not a kid thats wants to bug the employees I have a legit reason to have it. Hinse having the Motorla already.

WB4CS

The uv-5 radios are not legal for MURS unless they have a part 90 sticker - just a FYI

Correction: UV-5 radios are NOT certified for MURS. MURS needs Part 95 certification, not Part 90.

OP: If you have a legitimate need for a radio to talk to Wal-Mart, have you asked your Wal-Mart manager to give you a radio while you're at work?

Jaxco

I would have sworn that MURS radio had to be Part 90 (Commercial) even though the specific channels had been moved to Part 95.

I've been wrong before...

N4KVE

Here all the Walmart's are on 154.60, & 154.57 which are the 2 most common VHF freq's on the planet. Practically any VHF radio made in the last 20 years can receive there just fine. But to transmit there, well that's another story.

WB4CS

I would have sworn that MURS radio had to be Part 90 (Commercial) even though the specific channels had been moved to Part 95.

I've been wrong before...

Nope, Part 95. CFR 47 Part 95 includes: FRS, GMRS, CB, and MURS. Also includes PLB (Personal Locator Beacons)

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

I believe there are some older Part 90 approved radios that were grandfathered into Part 95 acceptance, but anything new has to be Part 95 approved. MURS is basically a Citizens Band, and just like CB's, in order to be legal there cannot be an accessible VFO nor can the radio have the ability to add any other channels other than the 5 approved MURS channels.

I am a walmart grocery truck driver and I del to walmarts in several states. But I dont work for walmart directly. 3rd party trucking company. So I dont rank high enough to get a radio. thats why I already have a motorola that is already programmed I purchased on the interwebs. but a couple of the stores have different " codes " at least thats what motorola calls it. Sorry Im not a ham radio guy just a truck driver trying to make my job a little easier.

quarterwave

Jonny...

The answer is yes, it can be done. Any question here sparks major philosophical debate on and off the subject of the original question asked. So among the fluff, some people offer good advice, and at times it is bits and pieces that may be hard to find an answer in, especially for a non-radio type.

What I think you need to know, aside from some of the good info above, is that Wally runs on licensed by rule service, so they use off the shelf radios, like the M you have, and there is no on site license required, no operator license or qualification. I think they also have some real licensed stuff at distribution centers, etc, I did see a large license pop up in a weekly report once.

The UV5R technically does not qualify for MURS use. The rule is there to protect the integrity of the service. Can you use one, sure, it will work fine.

The problem you have is this: You are not going to know what PL/DPL codes you need for which channels unless you can either use a good scanner to decode them first, then setup your radio for that location, which would be a pain with that type of radio, you would have to change it all the time. It's very very unlikely that anyone at the store knows anything about the radios, beyond where the charger for it is. They would not know what a PL/DPL code is, how to find it on their radio, even if they could.

I think you have a very good use for what you need to do. I can completely understand. The limitations of the type accepted radio will keep you from practically implementing what you want to do.

Also, tried to PM you...couldn't. Can you enable a PM or email on your RR profile?

Last edited:

N4KVE

154.60000 M CSQ Wal-Mart Wal-Mart (Royal Palm Beach - Belvedere) FM Business
154.60000 M CSQ Wal-Mart Wal-Mart (Jupiter) FM Business

See, no PL at the local stores. Cleanup on aisle 4!

quarterwave

154.60000 M CSQ Wal-Mart Wal-Mart (Royal Palm Beach - Belvedere) FM Business
154.60000 M CSQ Wal-Mart Wal-Mart (Jupiter) FM Business

See, no PL at the local stores. Cleanup on aisle 4!

May not be the case everywhere. If they are right next to, or say a half mile from another similar store using same freqs, they may be using PL to block each other.

I decoded my local store here once, a long time ago when I had my BC780 in my work truck, and I seem to remember them having a PL and being on a 151. MURS.

Status
Not open for further replies.