Walpole PD P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenme

Feed Provider
Has anyone confirmed Walpole PD has moved to P25 on their old analog frequency? Is the 396XT able to decode it, assuming it's not encrypted? Thanks,

Steve

ecps92

Yes - Walpole went P25 around July 2018 and any P25 Scanner will decode P25/CLR

Has anyone confirmed Walpole PD has moved to P25 on their old analog frequency? Is the 396XT able to decode it, assuming it's not encrypted? Thanks,

Steve

Stevenme

Feed Provider
Not a lot of traffic on the frequency, but I did hear several transmissions last night. One question I have is regarding P25 fine tuning. I have the latest firmware (1.11) but I’m unable using the online information to find a menu setting to manually set the P25 Threshold Level on a stored channel. In Auto it always goes back to 8 when selecting the channel and during a P25 transmission will fine tune to 9 or 10. I’d like a way to save a manual threshold for each channel. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Steve

ecps92

Being that close [based on your CallSign] to Walpole, you should not have to make any adjustments.
The default settings should be working fine. Even Weymouth to Walpole on a stock antenna
Not a lot of traffic on the frequency, but I did hear several transmissions last night. One question I have is regarding P25 fine tuning. I have the latest firmware (1.11) but I’m unable using the online information to find a menu setting to manually set the P25 Threshold Level on a stored channel. In Auto it always goes back to 8 when selecting the channel and during a P25 transmission will fine tune to 9 or 10. I’d like a way to save a manual threshold for each channel. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Steve

Stevenme

Feed Provider
This is the part where I'm lost:
  • BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BCD325P2, BCD996P2 require a special key press at power up, and return to Auto once power cycled:
  1. Hold the HOLD key while powering up the scanner. The screen will flash all of the colors (325P2's led just blinks) twice
  2. Press Menu go to
  3. Press Settings go to P25
At step 3, when I go into Setting, I don't have a P25 menu item. It's an old scanner (from the 00s) so I realize I'm beyond it's supported lifetime.

Steve

garys

Premium Subscriber
You don't need to play with the digital settings for Walpole. It's been a long time since I had an XT scanner, but as I recall those settings were universal, not per system or per channel. Unless you aren't hearing anything, it's best not to fool around with them.

Stevenme

Feed Provider
Reception is fine, i just enjoy learning the capabilities of the radio. Is there another article specifically for the 396XT that might be more accurate for the latest firmware? I may be taking the radio on the road and listening to other P25 systems that may require fine tuning. Thanks,

Steve

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm not aware of any recent articles. The XT is two generations old already. Or maybe 1 1/2 if you through the P2 scanners into the mix.

Especially for conventional frequencies, the default settings for the XT are probably sufficient. Depending on where you're going, it may or may not be satisfactory for you.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I listen to Walpole on a 996XT without having to adjust any P25 settings. Same on the 996P2 and the x36 series.
Their signal doesn't get out well to the south and east, but north it comes in well into Needham. Mostly due to the terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.