Waltham, MA Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjr02452

Hi - does anybody know why the iPhone App no longer offers Waltham Police as a channel to listen to?

cjr02452

Hi - thanks for the response. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "feed provider" - what does that mean? Any idea why it would be terminated?

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
Probably because it was on the same feed radio as the fire and police kept interrupting the fire feed action. Or so the feed provider tells me.
PD is going full time P25 on both channels shortly. with enc capabilities

cjr02452

One follow up question...does anybody know if the PD feed will be available again after they "go P25 fulltime on both channels" (whatever that means...)?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Hi - thanks for the response. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "feed provider" - what does that mean? Any idea why it would be terminated?

The feeds are "hosted" on RadioReference, but each feed is provided by an individual RR member. If the feed provider decides that they no longer wish to provide the feed, then the feed no longer exists (until somebody else decides to provide it).

Assuming you live in or around Waltham, you could always start providing the feed yourself. RR gives feed providers a free premium subscription.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
One follow up question...does anybody know if the PD feed will be available again after they "go P25 fulltime on both channels" (whatever that means...)?

Again, that all depends on whether or not somebody else decides to start providing the feed.
If the PD only has "encryption capabilities" (that are not used full time) then a feed will still be possible. If they decide to go "full time encrypted" then it won't be possible for any of us to listen to it at all; no scanner can "decode" an encrypted channel, and even if it could it is illegal to do so.

Squelchtone

Hi Guys,

Do you know if Waltham P25 will be able to be received by a BC785D with a 3600 Baud P25 card? (vs the newer BC796D with the 9600 Baud card which I do not unfortunately own)

I'm wondering how much longer this scanner will be useful when it comes to monitoring P25 systems.

Thank You,
Squelchtone

Squelchtone

I think I may have found my own answer.

P25 is P25 and the BCi25D card inside my BC785D will ALWAYS be able to receive and decode P25 digital voice traffic on a normal single frequency system.

I believe I just found that the 3600 baud only applies to a P25 Trunked System where the control channel data either flows at 3600 Baud, or on newer systems at 9600 Baud.

As long as I do not care about listening to trunked systems that use the faster control channel, I should be able to listen to places like Waltham PD when they switch to a P25 digital voice channel, vs their current 131.8 PL analog voice system.

Anyone want to confirm or correct what I just said?

Thank you,
Squelchtone

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Should be fine. I think Waltham PD will have a channel 2 and most likely that will be the full time encrypted channel for detectives, etc. I think there is a thread about Waltham over at scan new England.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That is exactly correct. It can be confusing because P25 digital audio and P25 control channels get confused during conversation.

P25 audio can be used in conventional systems, 3600 baud trunking systems, or 9600 baud trunking systems. Only systems with 9600 baud control channels are true P25 trunking and can have only digital audio. 3600 baud channels are Smartzone trunking and can have a mix of digital and analog audio.

I think I may have found my own answer.

P25 is P25 and the BCi25D card inside my BC785D will ALWAYS be able to receive and decode P25 digital voice traffic on a normal single frequency system.

I believe I just found that the 3600 baud only applies to a P25 Trunked System where the control channel data either flows at 3600 Baud, or on newer systems at 9600 Baud.

As long as I do not care about listening to trunked systems that use the faster control channel, I should be able to listen to places like Waltham PD when they switch to a P25 digital voice channel, vs their current 131.8 PL analog voice system.

Anyone want to confirm or correct what I just said?

Thank you,
Squelchtone

Status
Not open for further replies.