Walworth County radio upgrade

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

I always thought that Walworth county was a perfect candidate for a Trunked Radio System. Interoperability is kind of a joke in Walworth County, at the moment:

Law enforcement in the county operate on 3 different bands (UHF, VHF, 800MHz)
Fire Departments in the county operate on at least 2 different bands (UHF, VHF)
Public Works in the county operate on at least 3 different bands (UHF, VHF, 800MHz)

That's not including WI State Patrol (VHF Trunking) or UW Whitewater's UHF NXDN trunked system. All this for a county whose population is just over 100,000 people.

Tim

rjschilder

Greetings...

I always thought that Walworth county was a perfect candidate for a Trunked Radio System. Interoperability is kind of a joke in Walworth County, at the moment:

Public Works in the county operate on at least 3 different bands (UHF, VHF, 800MHz)

That's not including WI State Patrol (VHF Trunking) or UW Whitewater's UHF NXDN trunked system. All this for a county whose population is just over 100,000 people.

Tim
Agreed. Should unify the county a bunch. Perhaps if they get an ISSI with WISCOM they can further increase interop.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Greetings...

Tim

There is a muni PD using either NXDN or TRBO on UHF too...I forget which on at the moment. Regardless, your point is valid.

It was worse 15-20 years ago when lowband was still in the mix too.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The County law system is currently analog repeated 800 MHz, so a solid assumption is they will stay 7/800 for the trunking system. I can't see any reason to deviate from that.

19-685

One of the Fire/EMS Study Committee Agenda/Minutes from April 2023 indicates a couple of target dates only:

Complete Civil Bid Request for Radio Project
No actual date given, only this year.

2024 to 2026
Complete Radio Project

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
Found this video from February 5, 2023. At 8:21, one of the Walworth County deputies shows another Deputy one of the new portables that he is trying out and says the rest of the deputies will probably be getting them soon. It sounded like they were multi band and work on Walworth's 800 MHz frequencies. This might be preparation for a trunked system or at least a switch to P25.