want to buy new 800 mhz scanner....which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woollymammoth

looking on ebay for handheld to hear my local police that switched to the 800mhz freq.....will any of these work?
radio shack pro-74
radio shack pro-91
radio shack pro-528
radio shack pro-97
radio shack pro-135
radio shack pro-94

very new to the digital world and not sure which recieve the signals....had an analog scanner and loved it....thanx in advance....any help is appreciated...

lindsay34654

looking on ebay for handheld to hear my local police that switched to the 800mhz freq.....will any of these work?
radio shack pro-74
radio shack pro-91
radio shack pro-528
radio shack pro-97
radio shack pro-135
radio shack pro-94

very new to the digital world and not sure which recieve the signals....had an analog scanner and loved it....thanx in advance....any help is appreciated...

There are alot more scanners out there then just RS, Take the time are research all of them might take you a week, then see what one you want that will do what you want. Just because someone likes one type does not mean that you will. Why would you by used on ebay when for a couple of dollars more you can get new. How good are you at programing radios that is a big thing. some are harder then others.

lindsay34654

Sorry I sent you the message, buy what you want I can see that you do not listen when someone talks with you. HAVE YOU RESEARCHED THE RADIO? I can answer that one for you NO because you are asking me if it is OK. all you see is dollar signs not what the radio will do. I can tell you do everything that everyone tells you to do and not think on your own.

lindsay34654

Do you need digital? do you need Truck Tracking? Does the scanner have Narrow Band in it? Do you know what Narrow band is. Read and learn what you need before you even think about buying a scanner. the computer is a wealth of Knowledge if you use if. and with the new systems out there do you really think a 100 channel $45.00 scanner is going to get you what you need. You Want to waste your time and money buy it. Take the time to research what you need. You want a Good used handheld I can get you a uniden 996XT for $350. that is top of the line.

DickH

radio shack pro-74
radio shack pro-91
radio shack pro-528
radio shack pro-97
radio shack pro-135
radio shack pro-94

We need to know the exact system you want to monitor. Most 800MHz systems are trunked so may need a trunk-tracker. Without knowing the system, we can't advise you.

woollymammoth

i found this talking about the frequencies needed....will all the scanner listed above be able to listen to these?....

Looks like you are not getting much help here. The Pro96 is capable of handling digital trunking, so it should work with Metrosafe. It is advisable to get some software to enter in all the freqs necessary to hear anything.
These scanners are like little computers and can be somewhat intimidating but with practice, they are a lot of fun.
The freq 460.3 apparently isn't used anymore(unlike some of the analog freqs for louisville metro).

I would start here to make sure you have updated the scanner(of course you will need a cable to connect up to your computer).

RadioShack.com

I would advise getting some software for the scanner that allows you to enter all these freqs, talkgroups, etc. (same cable as above).
Download Pro96Com

If you decide to do this manually, it is possible. Just not very much fun. Hopefully you have the manual.
There are tutorials on trunking
PRO-96 (200-0526) Tutorial: How to Program Motorola Analog, Digital, and APCO-25 Trunking Systems
Louisviile Metrosafe

These are the control frequencies.
854.21250c 854.48750c 854.73750c 855.36250c 856.76250c

These are the talkgroups.

51 033 D JTown DSP Jeffersontown Police Dispatch Law Dispatch
52 034 D JTown Trf Jeffersontown Police Dispatch Law Dispatch
53 035 E JTown PD TAC Jeffersontown Police Tactical Law Talk
54 036 E JTown PD SIU Jeffersontown Police Special Investigations Unit Law Talk
55 037 E Unk Law 55 Unknown Law Enforcement TGID 55 Law Talk

Gone are the days when you can just enter a frequency and just listen to a pretty darn clear signal. The digital systems, at least on scanners, will never equal the sound quality of the older analog systems.

N8IAA

radio shack pro-74
radio shack pro-91
radio shack pro-528
radio shack pro-97
radio shack pro-135
radio shack pro-94

Absolutely not. Your city has gone P-25 digital. The Louisville PD is 'E'ncrypted. Which means that there is no scanner now, or in the future, that will receive those TGID's. Any of the TGID's that have a 'D', you will be able to hear. Fire seems to be in the clear. Maybe ask a question or two in the Kentucky state forum further down the forums page. You will need any of the following to monitor fire and city stuff. Remember no PD! GRE/RS Pro-106/PSR-500, Pro-197/PSR-600, PSR-800, Uniden 396XT/996XT, HP-1.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.