Want to Buy SDS-100 But have seen bad reviews with UHF & VHF analog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both a BCD436HP and a SDS100. The 436 is far superior to the SDS100 for everything except local P25 simulcast trunking systems. In my area, with strong signals from a lot of nearby 2-way systems and FM and TV broadcast stations, the SDS100 is very subject to intermod and overload. Recent SDS100 firmware upgrades have helped slightly with tweaking of the filter settings but is is still poor other than to listen to the local P25 trunked system for which it works very well with no simulcast distortion issues. Other than that, it is almost useless. The BCD436HP is the best scanner I have ever owned and the only limitation is the P25 simulcast problem.

The 436 also works very well with UHF and 800 non-simulcast trunking systems that the SDS100 can't even hear due to the desense issues.

If I take the 100 to a rural area where there are no overload issues, it works OK but audio quality is inferior to the 436 and the 436 still generally outperforms it on analog signals, especially AM Aircraft.

This is based on side by side comparisons of the 436 and 100 with the identical stock antennas.

I do not recommend the SDS100 unless you are having reception issues with a P25 simulcast trunked system.
I do notice intermod and overload if not using filter as well. The 436HP doesn't need it. I use the 436hp mostly for analog and public work p25. I do tend to prefer the sds100 as find th
You're right. Much better to have nothing at all and lose $600 because tracking information shows the package was delivered.
Yep as hard to prove to eBay seller sent a brick as photos and video they don't use as can be faked very easy. I had this issue years ago with a Sony mirror-less camera for $700 and took me 3 weeks to get money back as had to file a police report as well as IC3 report, but he did it to a few and sent coffee instead and had well over 1000 feedback. He ended up getting banned and did get my money back a 3 weeks later. It much easier to get money back when they don't sent nothing at all as will only take a week from expected deliver date not meet to get money back.

Now curious to see what he sent over, that eBay is holding his money?

Last edited:
Yes without filter is very sensitive and overload easy, but does pull in some weak signals better and others not so good. I do as well prefer the 436hp, or trx 1 for analog as well. The TRX-1 mainly as just receive another one that currently programming as that one pulls in security at the mall and etc clearly where the Uniden's fail at for the most part as hard to listen to with noise floor, but the TRX-1 is pretty clear.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Like that couldn't be faked?
Maybe, but not if you proceeded carefully.

Start with a a sequence showing all sides of the package, to verify that it had not been damaged, or opened, enroute.
While doing this, pause on a shot that shows the shipping label and tracking number, to authenticate the identity of the shipment.
Then, with the video still recording, cut the box open & see if what is inside matches what you bought. If it does not, make sure to bet a good closeup of the wrong item.

Good luck!

Hit_Factor

Some of you guys are a little over the top on this Ebay thing.

It will take a couple weeks to get your money back if you have to return the item for any reason and the seller is fighting the return.

You don't need a video to prove anything. eBay has been around a long time, they know is how to make a customer whole. They have come a long way in 20 or so years.

Additionally, paypal will backup the buyer. So there is another channel of recourse.

Lastly, pay paypal with a credit card if you are a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Like that couldn't be faked?
I suppose that, with the wealth of photo and video editing programs available, you could fake most anything. Bu the point I was trying to make is that if you took a continuous video, documenting the package condition, and including the tracking to show the correct package, you would have a stronger case. One vendor that I used at my last job before retirement, took to videoing certain high dollar items being packaged and shipped, since certain techs ordering the parts had a history of claiming unsubstantiated damage, or incorrect part, so that they could ship something that was nut needed without incurring a restock fee.
I can produce video that is time stamped and watermarked that will stand up in court been there done done it.
That's exactly what I was trying to get across.

Well all just have to wait till friday and hope for the best that he get at least a sds100 even if used, maybe he can negotiate a deal if come used for a reasonable discount, instead of waiting two weeks for fighting a case if it works fine and is in reasonable condition.

Video can be faked and reason eBay, or PayPal doesn't used them, as then the other way around buyers can take advantage, so they make buyer usually file a police report, or IC3 report, or both and look at history of buyer as well as seller instead. You have to look at the eBay agent point of view as well? In his case it be easy as seller has a history of scamming people before in the past and they already stated they restricted his account.

So hoping for the best and that this guy get a sds100 he wants and don't have to go though the hassle of fighting a eBay case.

Firekite

Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the seller or Ebay. Ebay doesn't care if sellers scam people because they make money off it.
eBay doesn’t know what DMR is and has no real way of checking. You expect them to hire experts to visit the person and check the thing out every time? Even the big name fancy auction houses end up selling a forgery painting from time to time.

Joe_Blough

Exactly, so you can produce your fake video with a watermark and time stamp too. Good point!

You are missing entire point of this thread by a mile. The original poster isn't trying to scam the seller by making a fake video showing he didn't receive a product that he really did. He just wants what he paid for and having evidence that he didn't couldn't hurt.

Ebay uses tracking info as proof an item was received. A seller could say a video of someone opening up their sold item and getting a brick is fake but then it is up to Ebay to decide. Having no video doesn't help at all and using the excuse "I am not going to take a video because it could be faked makes no sense at all".

Joe_Blough

Thanks!

My point is, who is going to believe a video because it could have been faked/staged.

I guess you're just gullible.

Why take pictures at an accident scene because the insurance company and court isn't going to believe it because the pictures can be faked. Gee it's funny Ebay allows you to attach pictures to return requests. Why are they so gulible when the pictures can be faked?

I have been asked for and submitted pictures of damaged products for extended warranties. Why did they ask for those pictures and pay me when those pictures can be faked?

I bet if the poster here got a brick and told Ebay, the first thing they would ask him for is pictures.

Someone once told me, the person who thinks everyone is stealing, that's the person who is stealing. Same could be said of the person who thinks all pictures are faked.

I'd rather be gulible and provide evidence than just throw my hands up and give up or get ripped off because criminals might fake pictures or videos. I think we know who the gulible one is here believing nobody accepts pictures as evidence because they can be faked.

Last edited:

Joe_Blough

eBay doesn’t know what DMR is and has no real way of checking. You expect them to hire experts to visit the person and check the thing out every time? Even the big name fancy auction houses end up selling a forgery painting from time to time.

What part of "Ebay said the seller already scammed someone" and "Even when Ebay is told the item was returned because the description was wrong and they don't make the seller change the desription" don't you understand?

Joe_Blough

Some of you guys are a little over the top on this Ebay thing.

It will take a couple weeks to get your money back if you have to return the item for any reason and the seller is fighting the return.

You don't need a video to prove anything. eBay has been around a long time, they know is how to make a customer whole. They have come a long way in 20 or so years.

Additionally, paypal will backup the buyer. So there is another channel of recourse.

Lastly, pay paypal with a credit card if you are a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Why does Ebay allow you to attach pictures for returns if they didn't feel they were relevent? What does having a video hurt? Why wouldn't you submit it as evidence when it takes so little time and effort to make it? It;s not like it costs hundreds and dollars and weeks of your time. The guy paid $600 to someone who Ebay has confirmed has already scammed someone but he should just hope for the best?

Joe_Blough

I do notice intermod and overload if not using filter as well. The 436HP doesn't need it. I use the 436hp mostly for analog and public work p25. I do tend to prefer the sds100 as find th

Yep as hard to prove to eBay seller sent a brick as photos and video they don't use as can be faked very easy. I had this issue years ago with a Sony mirror-less camera for $700 and took me 3 weeks to get money back as had to file a police report as well as IC3 report, but he did it to a few and sent coffee instead and had well over 1000 feedback. He ended up getting banned and did get my money back a 3 weeks later. It much easier to get money back when they don't sent nothing at all as will only take a week from expected deliver date not meet to get money back.

Now curious to see what he sent over, that eBay is holding his money?
Had you taken a video opening the package and having coffee, especially if others did the same, I bet it wouldn't have taken 3 weeks to get your money back.

So if you have security cameras in your house and a burglar comes in you wouldn't give the videos to police because it could be faked? Why do people have security cameras as the video will never be belived because it could be fake.

Amazing how people are actually arguing against saving evidence and then saying it took weeks to get a refund.

Joe_Blough

I suppose that, with the wealth of photo and video editing programs available, you could fake most anything. Bu the point I was trying to make is that if you took a continuous video, documenting the package condition, and including the tracking to show the correct package, you would have a stronger case. One vendor that I used at my last job before retirement, took to videoing certain high dollar items being packaged and shipped, since certain techs ordering the parts had a history of claiming unsubstantiated damage, or incorrect part, so that they could ship something that was nut needed without incurring a restock fee.

According to some people here that would make a weaker case because any evidence can be faked so if you are providing evidence you are proving that it is fake.

Hit_Factor

Why does Ebay allow you to attach pictures for returns if they didn't feel they were relevent? What does having a video hurt? Why wouldn't you submit it as evidence when it takes so little time and effort to make it? It;s not like it costs hundreds and dollars and weeks of your time. The guy paid $600 to someone who Ebay has confirmed has already scammed someone but he should just hope for the best?

Ask eBay why they allow it, I don't know why.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said videos and pics would hamper a return.

Read my post again, it was encouraging, unlike yours.

Had you taken a video opening the package and having coffee, especially if others did the same, I bet it wouldn't have taken 3 weeks to get your money back.

So if you have security cameras in your house and a burglar comes in you wouldn't give the videos to police because it could be faked? Why do people have security cameras as the video will never be belived because it could be fake.

Amazing how people are actually arguing against saving evidence and then saying it took weeks to get a refund.
I did a detail video opening package with label and box unopened as was expecting it due to other left negative feedback about it as he did it to a few during the time and feedback started being left a day after purchasing the camera.

eBay told me they don't except video, or pictures as proof at all and have to wait till they allow seller to respond back to case and they allow 10 days which turn into 3 weeks as he waited till 7 days later, had to return it back to him eBay charging him shipping and him providing return label and then he had it stuck in transit for almost 2 weeks and they gave him additional time despite the fact he scammed over 20 people at the same time and a few left him negative feedback about doing similar to them. I ended up giving them a police report and ic3 report as he claim he never received it back due to he had some how refused it without it showing in tracking, just showing it boucing around in USPS system and it ended up bouncing back. They step in and close the case in my favor. Never had it happen before him and 100% feedback with well over 4k transactions.

In court yes video is good evidence, but eBay doesn't use pictures, or video as they claim themselves they had people fake them and go by previously seller history and eBay messages only, no off eBay messages. He had over 1000 feedback with 100% and was on eBay for 7 years before he decided to mass scam people.

It typical time to get money back on eBay unfortunately when it come to sellers sending a item out and then dragging it out. It only quick when they don't sent a item at all.Then all you have to do is escalated case and you get money back within a hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.