Want to Buy SDS-100 But have seen bad reviews with UHF & VHF analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Like how bad we talking? Like volume is so low you wouldn't be able to hear it say if you have it strapped onto the handlebars of a bike bad?
I would not classify the speaker as being "low volume", not loud enough. I have no problem hearing in my truck when on the highway or in city traffic. My hearing is somewhat impaired from years working in vehicle maintenance shops, including over a dozen years working on buses at shops inside DFW Airport. But I do not find volume to be an issue on my SDS100. Many handheld scanners have a somewhat tinny sound, in large part because the necessity of fitting a small speaker into a limited space. Using an external speaker, if desired, would improve the sound, but I have not felt the need to add that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I find learning complicated things very fun and interesting. So if VHF/UHF seems fine then I am purchasing the SDS100.

and I don't think Oregon is going to have LSM... So that's not a worry but in case... Why not be prepared right
Looking at your statewide system in the database, I see several sites are simulcast. Two of them are in the Portland area, with a handful of others also listed (look near the bottom of the listing of sites). Your specific county site is not simulcast, but as you travel, whether within Oregon, or in other states, you are virtually sure to encounter simulcast areas somewhere along your route.

Hit_Factor

Like how bad we talking? Like volume is so low you wouldn't be able to hear it say if you have it strapped onto the handlebars of a bike bad?
I have mine mounted in a 9 year old diesel F350, volume set at 2/3 volume with full tinnitus in both ears. My wife constantly mumbling something about it being too loud or something.

On a whisper quiet road bike, no problem, even if you average 20 mph on a Century ride.

Joe_Blough

It's funny how stereos and speakers used to be pushed as Hi-Fi for high fidelity. Now there is this push to make speakers, radios, and headphone with extreme bass. Because of this things have lost the high frequencies and it sounds like you are listening to a TV from the 1970's.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The "tinny" speaker everyone has mentioned is very beneficial for digital listening as it's normally has a little more bass to it.

Last edited:
normally has a little more base to it.
bass
  1. the range of the lowest male voice, usually from middle C to two or more octaves below
    1. a voice or singer with such a range
    2. an instrument with a similar range within its family; specif., a double bass
    3. a part for such a voice or instrument
  2. a low, deep sound or tone, as of a voice with this range
  3. in four-part harmony, the lowest part
  4. the lower part of the audio-frequency band in sound reproduction

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
bass
  1. the range of the lowest male voice, usually from middle C to two or more octaves below
    1. a voice or singer with such a range
    2. an instrument with a similar range within its family; specif., a double bass
    3. a part for such a voice or instrument
  2. a low, deep sound or tone, as of a voice with this range
  3. in four-part harmony, the lowest part
  4. the lower part of the audio-frequency band in sound reproduction

Sorry teach, I was working off my phone and it auto-corrects words...lol! Correction made!

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
Like I can't hear it at all in my car... It's extremely Tinny... Way too much treble on analog... You're going to need an earpiece or headset to hear anyting with any quality...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have used the cars speakers a few times when I used my old 436. There is a headphone jack on the console. I run a cable from my scanner headphone jack to the AUX jack and set the car radio to AUX. It works great.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have mine mounted in a 9 year old diesel F350, volume set at 2/3 volume with full tinnitus in both ears. My wife constantly mumbling something about it being too loud or something.

On a whisper quiet road bike, no problem, even if you average 20 mph on a Century ride.
Yeah when my girls in the car she's always mumbling something about it's too loud also but I don't think it has anything to do with the volume, she just doesn't want to hear it at all LOL.

wheels1911

Well got myself a new SDS100 this morning for 599.95 got $50 off the new price so im happy, thanks guys.

Now just be prepared for my noob questions. haha

many people have talked about the steep learning curve so! Im a little nervous

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
For me it's not an issue of bad sensitivity with VHF / UHF, that's fine. The issues for me are the high degree of interference and white noise on VHF/ UHF analog. I almost never use my SDS's for VHF / UHF analog because of these issues. The interference issue is mostly a problem on the SDS200 with rooftop antenna, but it can be a problem on the SDS100 at times. The white noise issue becomes a problem mostly with the SDS100, when receiving weaker stations. The SDS100 actually seems to pull in weak stations well, but the white noise can be louder than received transmissions....strong and raspy. I look at the SDS's as digital scanners with the ability to handle analog as a secondary mission. If simulcast isn't an issue, definitely buy an X36.

I assuming it was this one? His feedback don't look to promising, I hope you actually get the radio? Why would someone sell it less then what it goes for anywhere else and not even open and still sealed. Just seem suspect overall?

Uniden SDS100 True I/Q Handheld Digital Police Scanner Trunking SDR APCO P25 DMR | eBay

I took another look to see what else he had listed. I am going to say it is most likely a scam. He now listed a sds200. What make it like a scam beside feedback and price is that fact he using other people pictures likely as different background and cropping it, but can clearly see background is different. All his other listings he put item on a hardwood floor. Once you don't receive your item, call eBay and get them to open a case, I suspect you been scam as a sds100 doesn't go for $599 brand new and doubt anyone would sell a brand new radio for $599.99 and never had the chance to use it yet.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

wheels1911

I assuming it was this one? His feedback don't look to promising, I hope you actually get the radio? Why would someone sell it less then what it goes for anywhere else and not even open and still sealed. Just seem suspect overall?

Uniden SDS100 True I/Q Handheld Digital Police Scanner Trunking SDR APCO P25 DMR | eBay

Yes it was that one.

and im not worried if I dont get it. Ebay will do guaranteed money back so.

and then Ill just keep looking.

He has been very responsive in my questions though so thats a good sign.

and I see he has sold a few other scanners in the past so...I guess just hope for the best, But, If I do get it and it's been opened I will probably call Ebay

Last edited:

waynegentry

I made a post about wanting to buy TRX-1 and then that spawned a lot of argument, and well it lost the path. Anyway, that got me sold on the SDS100 BUT now Im hearing its really bad with UHF & VHF analog and my area of scan is still primarily UHF & VHF analog mixed...

Soon within the next 2-5 years my area will then be going P25 II

So I want to future proof my self... But 2-5 years with bad UHF & VHF analog sounds horrible.

Is it really that bad?

and is there a way to make it better?
I have a sds 100 and got 4 buddys with same radio they are very bad on all bands except trunking. my email address is ten.labolgcbs@yrtnegenyaw from dayton, ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.