Want to Buy SDS-100 But have seen bad reviews with UHF & VHF analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettbolt

Everyone, please take a deep breath and relax. The SDS100 will arrive today, not a brick, coffee grounds, or a dead cat in the box.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I hope the guy doesn't get ripped off. If you're a smart shopper and careful with eBay, Amazon, PayPal, etc, you should be okay. I always read feedback and reviews and anything available on a seller and will not bid or buy if something looks awry. Learned a valuable lesson 15 yrs ago with a single incident, and have not had a problem since. As a result I will not deal internationally, even with Canada, anymore. When you have an issue with a dishonest person in another country there really isn't much you can do if you do not have a financial guarantee (like PayPal Buyer Protection) with the agency sending your money. Hope the scanner arrives alive and well!

wheels1911

Got it. Was not a scam.... Im working my way threw the manual and the Sentinel software now...

The only thing is that the box has been opened before....(Im just guessing because there was no Plastic around it)

However, I am unsure if a new one has plastic around them or not.

That turn out good. No mines didn't have plastic around box when received it and bought it from a dealer, but accessories in inner box was in plastic. You can tell if it new if it been programmed, or has signs of wear and accessories unwrapped. If it looks new likely it is. Plus for $599 is a good deal as dealers sell them for $650 the lowest seen so far.

Last edited:

wheels1911

That turn out good. No mines didn't have plastic around box when received it and bought it from a dealer, but accessories in inner box was in plastic. You can tell if it new if it been programmed, or has signs of wear and accessories unwrapped. If it looks new likely it is. Plus for $599 is a good deal as dealers sell them for $650 the lowest seen so far.

Well in that case it was brand new!!!

Did you get the one with the big battery, with the back kind of sticking out, or the smaller battery with the battery door flush with the rest of the scanner?

ve3cqk

I owned the SDS-100 for 5 days and my own personal experience is it's phenomenal on digital systems, analogue is without doubt it's compromise, the 436HP is FAR better for analogue and the reason why I returned the SDS100.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Take your time, read the Easier-To-Read manual and the Wiki reference page here on RR and when you have a question be sure to do a search here on the RadioReference Forums, as I am almost positive your questions have been asked and answered here before by most of us. It will take you a few times to get the programming right. Don't let yourself get frustrated and, above all, have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

I owned the SDS-100 for 5 days and my own personal experience is it's phenomenal on digital systems, analogue is without doubt it's compromise, the 436HP is FAR better for analogue and the reason why I returned the SDS100.
I find this true. The SDS100 does phenomenal on digital systems, once you figure out filter settings and flawless on LSM system over here without to much hassle in programming. One thing did notice is overload on analog on lower bands especially VHF. Just bought another Whistler TRX-1 and does way better on analog across the bands and sounds way more cleaner pulling in weak signals with less noise floor and pulling in toll road security and malls around area that the Uniden SDS100 can't at all, even with filters off. I even manage to get he TRX-1 to work on LSM system well, by manually programming it and changing CC and delay and now works well without distortion, or dropout. It took some trial, or error but finally works. Now keeping the SDS100 just because it does well on LSM system and use more then one scanner to listen and record multiple systems, so decrease the scan time and can hold on to a system if something interesting while other scanner listening to other stuff.

ve3cqk

Just bought another Whistler TRX-1 and does way better on analog across the bands and sounds way more cleaner pulling in weak signals with less noise floor and pulling in toll road security and malls around area that the Uniden SDS100 can't at all, even with filters off.
I never looked at the TRX-1, I heard this also features DMR too, without the added enablement key costs?
I'm now interested in seeing this in action, thanks.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
There is no one scanner. For base I use a SDRPlay and a old RS 2055. Hears everything out there. For mobile I have a Upgraded 668, yes simulcast problems but good enough for my short time in the car. Can't see $700 just to listen when SDR is cheap and easy.

I never looked at the TRX-1, I heard this also features DMR too, without the added enablement key costs?
I'm now interested in seeing this in action, thanks.
It excels at NXDN decode EMS and rail mostly uses over here, it crystal clear for a digital decode. DMR sounds great as well so long a good signal and been listening to mostly tow trucks and other business and utilities in area. I even heard one guy arguing about his pay on a job site back and forth arguing about a contract.

The problem is can't get the sds100 to pick up around that area for some reason and did double check CC and TG's are correct and added the only ones I wanted to hear as far as TG and yes that site tower does repeat them as same programming on the TRX-1 and picks up fine, even pick up the low power Walmart miles away. It can do this on a Remtronix 800 mhz antenna indoors that not even tune to that band. It a shame as the sds100 does pick up towers 30 miles out and does great overall in P25 digital, but suffer on lower bands and is a trade off, even with a antenna high up outdoors. Getting a better antenna system once I figure out filters needed and etc and going to use two separate for lower bands and 800 mhz feed into a duplexer, just have to find time on day off and actually test environment to figure out filters needed and etc. Notice RSSI on the sds100 on VHF hit pretty much overload at -45 TO -60 RSSI without filter, on other bands it within reason -75 to -80 RSSI and even does good p25 decode at 95 RSSI with very little errors rate and sound great with external speaker. Last thing want to do if blow the front end transistors on it, so using a filter which bring signal to around 80 RSSI on that band.

Yep no perfect one scanner that does all.

Last edited:

Joe_Blough

Ask eBay why they allow it, I don't know why.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said videos and pics would hamper a return.

Read my post again, it was encouraging, unlike yours.
Your post said people "were over the top" trying to protect themselves. It was insulting and condesending as if you think you are better than everyone else. Not encouraging at all. More a of defeatist attitude.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 in the F-250 and with a gps, it cannot be beat in this region where P25 digital TRS's are king, and VHF is relegated to backup systems. 400 band UHF is long gone. It all depends on where you live, and what systems are in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.