Want to hire someone to program my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nana2012

Premium Subscriber
I am pulling my hair out trying to program my new radioshack pro 197. I have the cable, the premium subscription and I still cant figure it out. I live in victoria bc, I am willing to pay someone to program it. I have had several people try and explain it all to me, just when I think I get it, I dont! Message me back if you can help. Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am pulling my hair out trying to program my new radioshack pro 197. I have the cable, the premium subscription and I still cant figure it out. I live in victoria bc, I am willing to pay someone to program it. I have had several people try and explain it all to me, just when I think I get it, I dont! Message me back if you can help. Thanks

Patience nana!
It,s much easier than you think!
This might help,

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

n9zas

SCPD

QRT

Maybe let us know what software you are using .. ? and what systems you want to receive on your scanner ?

I recommend using PSREdit500 (Download PSREdit500) for your scanner model. You can download it and import directly from RadioReference as I see you are a premium subscriber.

I have attached a file I created for the Victoria CREST system from RadioReference that you can use to program your scanner.

Attachments

• Victoria.zip
    2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

nana2012

Premium Subscriber
Where im at so far...

I am running the ARC 500 software. i was able to use the software, I went to radio reference data base and downloaded on the talkgroups and frequencies I wanted. I saved that info. I checked which com port I was using. I started the upload to my scanner. Once it was done. I had a HEAP ERROR. Nice! my whole scanner was frozen. Nothing would work. So I went online and reaserched that and figured out why it happened. I reset my scanner to factory settings. I then went through the list I downloaded and took out the problems. I then tried to upload it again and nothing. It was like nothing happened at all. My scanner doesnt seem to put the status on the display while communicating with the computer. It didnt do that the first time I downloaded from the computer and got the heap error so I assume that my scanner is communicating with the computer otherwise the first problem wouldnt of happened. So thats where I am at. I am able to download the data with my software. After that I guess I might need some help cause its not working. I did post onto scan bc as well. No one so far has offered to program it for me. You think people would jump at the offer of making a few bucks. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to me.

nancy

nana2012

Premium Subscriber
Okay i think I followed the directions right. When I hit scan all i get is Nothing Enabled. There is a "G" on the top of the screen. then I have 1 flashing and pri. thats all that is on the screen. What have I done wrong? Thanks for your help!

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the information .... I am pretty sure I know what your problem is now. You do not need to program your scanner manually .. your software is probably fine but your data file is not correct.

From what you have described and from what I remember of the "Heap" error. It is caused by programming your scanner with an invalid data file. Specifically from what you have described you have nothing linked into Scanlist 1 ... that is why you get the nothing enabled message and why it is blinking.

I can replicate the same on my scanner by trying to use my 1 blank scanlist (scanlist 19 .. I get the nothing enabled message and the number blinks).

I have programmed my scanner with the file that I uploaded in this thread and it works fine in my scanner. Of course I am not in Victoria so I get nothing ... but the file and the PSREdit software works fine. That is one avenue for you to get your scanner working on the Crest system.

mobile_1

Okay i think I followed the directions right. When I hit scan all i get is Nothing Enabled. There is a "G" on the top of the screen. then I have 1 flashing and pri. thats all that is on the screen. What have I done wrong? Thanks for your help!

Are all your scan lists turned off ? You must have at least one scan list enabled or you will get the "Nothing Enabled" message. Is your Default scanlist # 1 ? Try pushing #1 to turn on scan list #1. You can also try turning on all the scan lists.

SCPD

QRT
Are all your scan lists turned off ? You must have at least one scan list enabled or you will get the "Nothing Enabled" message. Is your Default scanlist # 1 ? Try pushing #1 to turn on scan list #1. You can also try turning on all the scan lists.
The problem is not that the scanlist is not selected ... it is giving her that message because the selected scanlist is EMPTY. Normally .. you will get that "Nothing Enabled" message as well when there is no scanlist selected (as has been described by Mobile_1) , but you will NOT see a number on your scanner screen if this is the case.

Seeing as how she is seeing a number on the scanner screen (in this case #1), the cause of the problem is an empty scanlist. You can try this out on your GRE scanner.

Last edited:

nana2012

Premium Subscriber
new issue..

Okay, I tried to manually program it. I was understanding the step by step instructions but i ran into another problem. When i was inputting the frequenzies, i put in the number, hit enter and then the number i put in changed. eg. 141.20500 changed to 141.20000 Someone mentioned something about "step size" I went looking for info on that and had no luck. Any idea's guys?? Im thinking the blonde hair might have something to do with it. LOL

nancy

mobile_1

The problem is not that the scanlist is not selected ... it is giving her that message because the selected scanlist is EMPTY. Normally .. you will get that "Nothing Enabled" message as well when there is no scanlist selected (as has been described by Mobile_1) , but you will NOT see a number on your scanner screen if this is the case.

Seeing as how she is seeing a number on the scanner screen (in this case #1), the cause of the problem is an empty scanlist. You can try this out on your GRE scanner.

Thank you ! You are right edmscam ! It was 2:44 AM when I posted that.
I must get more sleep. I think that it is great that you are helping other RR members . I read all of member GrantS posts and it was not just 1 year that he had gone without any help. It was in fact more than 2 years. We must be quick to help and I must think before posting. Good luck and I hope you can get this member's scanner working soon.

SCPD

QRT
Okay, I tried to manually program it. I was understanding the step by step instructions but i ran into another problem. When i was inputting the frequenzies, i put in the number, hit enter and then the number i put in changed. eg. 141.20500 changed to 141.20000 Someone mentioned something about "step size" I went looking for info on that and had no luck. Any idea's guys?? Im thinking the blonde hair might have something to do with it. LOL

nancy

Nancy .. you are making it tough on yourself. You have a Premium membership here on RR and you have software to program your scanner. I trust you want to program the Crest system in Victoria as really I think that's the big system on the island.

It would take less than 5 min to program your scanner ... just use the resources that you have available to you. I would never even think about programming my scanner manually when I have software / membership to do it for me.

You can just import data from Radio Reference, it is a lot harder to try to program your scanner manually with a big system like the Crest system in Victoria.

nana2012

Premium Subscriber
I can use the software, i can download the crest system but then thats where im getting stumped. Do I have to do something to my scanner to recieve the information. Cause nothing comes up on my scanner screen. No status of downloads nothing. Its like its not even plugged in. Do i have to have it set on something so it recieves the upload?? I would love if it was easy but it doesnt seem to be?

MrVelvet

Is your scanner cable correctly configured in your software?

The data might not even be able to reach the scanner.

Regent

Am also from Victoria & need some help to program my BCD996XT Scanner. Can someone also advice me how do it. The only thing I have on it is Victoria Police but even it's on the Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST) it shows up with frequencies from the range of 141.000 to 143.000. It seem that I receive all the call & don't want to lose this info by programing other talkgroup into it like the BC Ambulance & Fire Departments. Can some one tell me how to do that? I would much appreciate the help.

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
Im also from Victoria and having problems with my BCD996T. I guess a lot of people from Victoria on this forum ;)

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
What kind of problem are you having with your scanner?

I can't get the P25 to work on my BCD996T. It won't scan the CREST system. Any chance I could borrow ur .bcd file so I can compare mine to urs?

Status
Not open for further replies.