want to know your opinion on Pro 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecollector

just purchase a Realistic pro-2021 without antenna, mounting on car and manual for 20 bucks, but the scanner itself is in mint condition though. is it a good deal? any one who own this one before i really want to know what is your opinion on this older model of scanner. i notice the scanning speed is a bit slower. any tip i should know about to make this scanner better.

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
press the speed button and it scans a LITTLE faster (8 Ch. per second) Not a bad scanner though. Nice buy at that price. Mods DK has a mod to increase the scan speed to 11 channels per second if you feel like going through all that.

Mark

Last edited:

n1das

$20 for a Pro-2021 in mint condition is a GREAT deal. I had one of those back in the 80's when it was in production. IIRC, it went for $200 or more when new.

It is well made...built like a brick [censored] house! Just plug it in and leave it on 24/7 and it will last practically forever. It is definitely built to last.

RF performance was good and audio output and quality was excellent. I wished mine would scan faster than 8 channels/sec but it was ok for monitoring a dozen or so frequencies.

My only real complaint with it is typical of RadioShack scanners made by GRE....they have WAY TOO MUCH squelch hysteresis. I developed a fix for it like others have done. The hysteresis feedback in the squelch circuit is provided through a resistor connected between pins 12 and 14 of the FM IF chip (Motorola MC3357 or equivalent). The resistor value needs to be increased to something like 100k ohms. The original value is somewhere between 27k and 47k ohms. You could also remove the resistor and you'll have no hysteresis at all but the squelch will chatter, sputter, or crackle at the threshold. Having at least SOME hysteresis will help keep it stable at the threshold. I like to have just enough to keep it stable at the threshold and no more. Any more than that is too much and gets in the way. If you dig into this circuit, you'll want to experiment with the resistor value to get the type of squelch circuit behavior you like.

If you're not up to modding your radios, then don't attempt the above mod. Leave well enough alone. My modding the squelch circuit was done to suit my personal preferences, not to fix a problem.

You got a good deal and a good scanner!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I like it, have been using it for years, it is my oldest (still in use) scanner. I currently use it to scan about 4 discrete frequencies (all local air) and it stays on 24/7/365. I have other things programmed in it but lets face it, I have enough other scanners that I don't have to fill my 2021 up with public safety. My display lighting is shot, but it has been that way for years. Don't forget to keep a battery in it (unless you like reprogramming it after power failures).

AerialEars

I agree. I own two of them. Both me and my brother bought one at the same time and I also ended up with his. One of mine goes 24/365 because I use it to stream audio to scanoconee.com. The audio sounds good on the web.

I've replaced the backlights in both of mine. There was a guy selling the backlights on ebay-tried searching it for you and couldn't find anything. Guess he's sold them all or is out of busines.

There's nothing bad I can say, even about the scan speed. I think the scan speed was about the state of the art when they were produced. The price point in the earlier message is right.

Happy listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.