Want to listen to law enforcement and ambulance Carroll County (Carrollton) MO. What scanner?

Caboreal

someone Gave me an old scanner that was already programmed and I enjoyed listening to law enforcement and ambulance. it Recently stopped working. specifically, the police and ambulance stopped completely and it would blip, or make a noise then stop. So I assume the old Uniden nascar handheld going bad? No longer hear ambulance or police, just fire only. Any thoughts as to a good desktop or handheld, doesnt have to be portable, for home? Carroll county, mo. town of carrollton. very rural community. Other than that, I know nothing about scanners, nor really want to. Just want to be able to listen to what is going on in our community. Thank you in advance For recommendation as to what to purchase.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
the police and ambulance stopped completely and it would blip, or make a noise then stop.
Welcome to the RR forums. This is a textbook definition of simulcast distortion. With that said my recommendation is either a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 as these are the only scanners designed to mitigate the ugly effects of simulcast distortion.
1679258887178.png

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
it appears that Carrol County is now on a digital network. if that's accurate it would explain why your old scanner has gone deaf. rather than speculate I suggest you post your query in the Missouri forum. The easist way is to click the 'Report' button in the bottom left corner of your post snd request to have it moved to the Missouri forum.

nd5y

The OP said the scanner stopped receiving LE and EMS recently.
That could mean the LE & EMS services changed systems recently.
If that is true then the database is could now be uselsess for that county until somebody who is an expert figures out what happened and submits updates (if something really changed) to the database.

Last edited:

FKimble

Sounds like your scanner is most likely still good, the problem is the depts you are no longer hearing have changed their radio system to a type your scanner does not support.

Frank

scannerowner

I can confirm hearing Carroll County Ambulance and Sherrif using MOSWIN on other talkgroups not listed in the database. I haven't submitted since I'm not sure who uses the talkgroups since I'm listening from a neighboring site that they don't always affiliate with.