• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WANTED - 2010 Dodge Charger SXT Antenna Install Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6gcv

Greetings! I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get a much wanted project done. I will be installing two radios into my Charger. These two radios will replace the current Yaesu FT-8800. (I have previously posted pics in this thread.)

I already know where the RF decks will go. The control heads, their respective control cables, speakers and their extension cables, and mics will have their place in the Charger. All that is covered....I hope... ! But there is one thing that I'm unsure of nowadays. Thus I'm posting here. Antennas.

I've said in a previous thread (see link above) that I'm running a trunk mount. Well... I've decided to dump the trunk mount and punch holes. Two to be exact! And since it's been nearly 20-years since I did a proper antenna install (when I worked for a couple of local radio shops), I'm a bit nervous. Lots of changes to today's vehicles. So... I'm looking for tips, tricks, suggestions, recommendations, etc., for doing this. Pictures would be awesome if you have any to share! These are my questions:
  • Where did you install your antennas on your Charger?
  • If you mounted them on the trunk, how did you run the coax?
  • If you mounted an antenna or two on the roof, how far away were you from the stereo antenna? Did that cause interference with receiving radio stations? Where did you run the coax?
  • What RF interference, if any, did you see with the placement of your radio antennas? (Note: I do get some RF interference on the FT-8800 when my engine is at a certain RPM. Never figured out why though. Not going to worry about it now.)
Those are the primary questions I have. I'm sure I have more, but can't think of them at the moment. And yes, I will be using a proper hole saw too!

Thank you in advance for your help! Like I said, it's been a while so I want to be sure I do it right the first time.

ke6gcv

eLightbars

is where I’d start.

But you’ve probably finished this months ago.

Thank you, @slowmover , for the recommendation. I looked there but didn't see anything specific to my model.

I did go ahead and mount one antenna center of the trunk. That has worked out well for me. Now I have the roof mount remaining. I need to take into consideration the side air curtains.

I looked around as best I could and see that it can be done, but I have to be very creative. I need to put the cable around the backside of the airbag so as to not interfere with the downward deployment should I get into an accident. That's where I am now.

I know for certain I want to drill into the roof, but it's the airbags that are stopping me. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Find a local independent auto repair facility. Give them the coax and use some masking tape to show them where you want the coax to start and end. They can easily route the coax through the car from the trunk to the roof and tell you if and where it is safe to drill at your preferred location.

There should be no diagnostic charge for this, since all the work is simply routing a cable. You'll be paying only for the hourly labor rate to remove the interior panels and to run the coax cable.

ke6gcv

Find a local independent auto repair facility. Give them the coax and use some masking tape to show them where you want the coax to start and end. They can easily route the coax through the car from the trunk to the roof and tell you if and where it is safe to drill at your preferred location.

There should be no diagnostic charge for this, since all the work is simply routing a cable. You'll be paying only for the hourly labor rate to remove the interior panels and to run the coax cable.

As far as where to drill, that's covered. I have all of that already mapped out and ready to go. It's the routing of the coax that I'm having an issue with. I don't want to block the deployment of the airbag.

This is where my installation knowledge ends since it's been about 20-years now since I did my last professional install. So... doing as you suggested is a great idea! I will call the one I regularly use and get their advise. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.