Wanted: Maine Scanner Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone from Maine would be interested in providing a scanner feed into the Teamspeak Server that I run.

Information regarding Teamspeak can be found at my website, http://www.scanmassachusetts.net . Follow the "Teamspeak Feed and Chatroom Info" link on the Scan Massachusetts menu. Teamspeak offers a very unique and effective means of providing scanner feeds in an easy to navigate format. It offers clients easy access to numerous scanner feeds by just the click of a mouse.

In a nutshell, providing a feed would entail running the Teamspeak Client, which is a very low profile program consuming very little of your system resources. It would also require a 9 KBPS stream of audio constantly running from your computer across the internet to the server. This has virtually no effect on a broadband connection. It of course requires a sound card with a line-in jack and a scanner with an external speaker/headphone jack as well.

I would be specifically interested in a Maine State Police feed, but any content provided would be most welcome and appreciated.

If anyone is interested, kindly e-mail me off list. Thanks very much for reading, and Happy New Year.

KB1JHU

I would run one while I am at school, but the college's network nazi's would shut off my connection for running a server. And they don't have a clue how to run a network so I would only be able to run 1 or 2 connections.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Hi Scott,

Actually, with Teamspeak you're not running a server, you're just providing a 9K stream to a server. No one is directly connected to you. I understand your concerns, however, and I appreciate the thought. Thanks.

josephcowherd

KB1JHU said:
I would run one while I am at school, but the college's network nazi's would shut off my connection for running a server. And they don't have a clue how to run a network so I would only be able to run 1 or 2 connections.
Scott / KB1JHU:
I used to live in Pittsfield, but now in Connecticut (too), and I keep trying to find somebody who will provide a feed from that area. Have you figured out a nazi-proof approach to your dilemma? I'd think that you'd receive Pittsfield quite well from Unity.

Joe

KB1JHU

I wish. I think they jump on any continuous outgoing bandwidth use. It all started because of peer-peer file sharing. Now to add to our already crappy network, everyone has been forced onto wireless, which doesn't seem to work all that great most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.