Wanting a scanner to scan police and fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tape

Hello I'm new member from Jefferson County Alabama. I was thinking about a Uniden BCD436HP but I hear a lot of negative reviews about it. Is this a good newbie first scanner?
Do I have to program it? I've read that you need to download it to a computer?? No Mac support??

Other suggestions are welcome but I do want a portable handheld mobile unit and I want to pick up all the broadcast possible. I've read so much about the scanner not picking up anything at all to very few channels.

If you could please explain as if you're talking to a six-year-old child.😊

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello I'm new member from Jefferson County Alabama. I was thinking about a Uniden BCD436HP but I hear a lot of negative reviews about it. Is this a good newbie first scanner?
Do I have to program it? I've read that you need to download it to a computer?? No Mac support??

Other suggestions are welcome but I do want a portable handheld mobile unit and I want to pick up all the broadcast possible. I've read so much about the scanner not picking up anything at all to very few channels.

I'm not from your area, but the RR database lists Jefferson County as a simulcast system (perhaps others from your area will comment).

Check these links:

As far as Mac support... no. The free Uniden Sentinel software is used for programming, database and firmware updates, preparing spare SD cards etc. and will only run under Windows OS.

Check this write up for Mac users:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
First, thank you for providing location details. As mentioned above me, your state's system of interest contains simulcast cells (particularly your county) so the 436HP would in theory track the system but it might not be the most ideal scanner to mitigate simulcast distortion. I once owned a 436HP and sold it to help fund an SDS100 so I would have a better pick up on simulcast systems in my area. Even though the SDS100 is more expensive it will do the job right. I'd also recommend having a look at the easier to read manuals for the 436HP and SDS100. Both models have their similarities and differences, most of which are discussed on the Uniden forums and a number of workarounds are mentioned on the simulcast distortion wiki in the posting above mine but they work for very few people. So my recommendation to you is the SDS100 over the 436HP.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Ok, here you go...For Jefferson County Police, Fire, and EMS agencies that are NOT on the Alabama Interoperable Radio System you are good to go with a standard analog scanner. However, once you move into AIRS you need a P25PhaseII digital like the BCD436HP you spoke off. It is easy to program off of the FREE sentinel software from Uniden.
For Birmingham, there is some Police Encryption on the AIRS system. Look for the "E" in the mode column.
Look at this cutout below for Jefferson County off of the AIRS system.

46B4 (4)012 (C)Birmingham (Highway 150)Jefferson769.53125c770.05625a772.98125773.68125
46B4 (4)013 (D)HelenaJefferson770.11875c771.94375772.79375774.71875
46B4 (4)014 (E)Hoover (Municipal)Jefferson769.80625c770.55625772.70625a773.43125774.15625774.90625

The names there are the repeater locations and if you click on the name it will take you to the exact GPS then save that on Google Maps and you can see how close you are to a repeater and if you will receive stuff.
Jefferson County Sheriff is in the clear pretty much with everyday stuff No Encryption.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
First thing you should do is check the database to see if what you plan on monitoring is a simulcast system and also look for "E" for full time encryption. If it's encrypted NO scanner will receive it. If it's simulcast you're going to need an SDS-100/200 or a Unication pager (read-expensive radios)

I own the 436hp and it does a terrific job- I have no simulcast in my area. Be careful reading reviews on places like Wal-Mart and Amazon. I've seen scanners with poor reviews but when you start reading the one star reviews you soon realize the problem wasn't the scanner at all, it was the rookie who bought it and didn't take the time to understand how to program it or didn't research about simulcast issues.

Tape

I'm not from your area, but the RR database lists Jefferson County as a simulcast system (perhaps others from your area will comment).

Check these links:

As far as Mac support... no. The free Uniden Sentinel software is used for programming, database and firmware updates, preparing spare SD cards etc. and will only run under Windows OS.

Check this write up for Mac users:

Thank you very much

Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
First, thank you for providing location details. As mentioned above me, your state's system of interest contains simulcast cells (particularly your county) so the 436HP would in theory track the system but it might not be the most ideal scanner to mitigate simulcast distortion. I once owned a 436HP and sold it to help fund an SDS100 so I would have a better pick up on simulcast systems in my area. Even though the SDS100 is more expensive it will do the job right. I'd also recommend having a look at the easier to read manuals for the 436HP and SDS100. Both models have their similarities and differences, most of which are discussed on the Uniden forums and a number of workarounds are mentioned on the simulcast distortion wiki in the posting above mine but they work for very few people. So my recommendation to you is the SDS100 over the 436HP.
thank you for your reply, I have heard the same "SDS100 over the 436HP" but I also heard that the 436HP it's easier to program via ZIP Code. I hear so many horror stories about programming either scanner to listen too. Spending 5 or $600 is not an issue as long as I can hear transmissions.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much

thank you for your reply, I have heard the same "SDS100 over the 436HP" but I also heard that the 436HP it's easier to program via ZIP Code. I
You can pull up database info via zip code with the SDS100 as well. Drawback to this method is it'll most likely retrieve systems or agencies you may not want to hear which is why programming favorites lists via Sentinel or other supported software is preferred

Tape

First thing you should do is check the database to see if what you plan on monitoring is a simulcast system and also look for "E" for full time encryption. If it's encrypted NO scanner will receive it. If it's simulcast you're going to need an SDS-100/200 or a Unication pager (read-expensive radios)

I own the 436hp and it does a terrific job- I have no simulcast in my area. Be careful reading reviews on places like Wal-Mart and Amazon. I've seen scanners with poor reviews but when you start reading the one star reviews you soon realize the problem wasn't the scanner at all, it was the rookie who bought it and didn't take the time to understand how to program it or didn't research about simulcast issues.
Exactly "I've seen scanners with poor reviews but when you start reading the one star reviews you soon realize the problem wasn't the scanner at all, it was the rookie who bought it and didn't take the time to understand how to program it or didn't research about simulcast issues"

I've been looking for about two months because I myself do not understand anything about scanners, broadcasting and simulcast.
I am completely new to this.
If the SDS-100 it's a better scanner than the 436HP then that is what I want to get. I'm worried about spending $1000 on equipment and then it end up being a paperweight because I don't understand what the hell I'm doing.😫 I will also have to buy a Windows program and install it on my MacBook.

fredva

Feed Provider
If you are going to monitor a simulcast system, then I recommend getting a simulcast-compatible receiver if at all possible. That would be an SDS 100/200 scanner or a Unication digital pager, which works great on simulcast but can only monitor one trunking system at a time and has a few other limitations.

Other scanners might work on simulcast, but you have to be in the right location relative to the transmitters.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much

thank you for your reply, I have heard the same "SDS100 over the 436HP" but I also heard that the 436HP it's easier to program via ZIP Code. I hear so many horror stories about programming either scanner to listen too. Spending 5 or $600 is not an issue as long as I can hear transmissions.

The exact same software (Sentinel for BCDx36HP) is used for both the BCD436HP and the SDS100. There are minor setup differences between the 2 scanners, but the database and Zip Code functions are basically the same for both scanners.

Tape

You can pull up database info via zip code with the SDS100 as well. Drawback to this method is it'll most likely retrieve systems or agencies you may not want to hear which is why programming favorites lists via Sentinel or other supported software is preferred
I went to scannermaster.com and when you buy a scanner they ask you to; choose your options 1-County 2-Counties etc.
Is this also required?
Also will I be able to listen to State of Alabama Radio Reference - Trunked Systems with either scanner?

Last edited:

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Welcome, Tape to the RR. If you are dealing with simulcast in your area it would be the SDS 100 or 200.
However like fredva says (Other scanners might work on simulcast, but you have to be in the right location
relative to the transmitters).
I deal with simulcast where I live and I have a WS1098. If I put it on the kitchen table it doesn't come in to good.
When I move it about twenty feet and put it on my table in the living room by the picture window it comes in
really good. Location, location.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber

If the money is not an issue and you want the "Get the job done without problems" scanner, it's the SDS100.

It has the exact same programming as the BCDx36HP series. Lots of tutorials and lots of people ready to help make it work here.

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber

I'd recommend the BCD325P2 over the BCD436HP- I've used both (we sell these at my work) and I find the 325 to be easier to use, particularly if you are used to a older scanner. The BCD436HP can overwhelm ya kinda easily with all the options it gives you. Your mileage may vary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.