Wanting to move up in scanner comparable to Pro95

rrman987

I have looked through these threads and have not seen one that talks of a better scanner without all the bells and whistles to receive stuff of no interest (just to scan RR channels, no interest in cops stuff). Say a analog receiver (unless RR are moving to digital encryption) with more sensitivity, sharper slectivity, narrow banded when needed, programmable 100 channel wide banks etc.
I looked at ScanMaster site but alot of these radios are high end or don't have alot of "convience" buttons for functions like Pro95 has.
Suggestions?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I believe the BC-125AT meets what you're looking for with the exception of 100 channel banks (it only has 50 per bank) but it does have service search which will scan all of the RR channels. I don't do a lot of RR scanning, but I have seen many threads that talk about a move to NXDN, so I don't know how long an analog scanner would be of use.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Keeping compatible with the PRO-95 is like staying compatible with the Model-T. No longer in production and the newer lines have a LOT more to offer.
You can literally look at my signature line to see the progression. I guess if you only want analog (no P25), and want a GRE-made model; my favorites is the PSR-310. But it's been out of production for years and you'll have to find it used.
While many of the GRE models are being sold new under the Whistler brand, it's the same old technology. I've simply not kept up on their model numbers. They would have done themselves a huge favor if they used the same numbers as GRE and, for example, sold the PSR-300 as WS300. But no.
Analog Uniden models will be comparable, but different and YMMV.

wtp

and to let you know the radios today have thousands of channels and uniden radios have a quick key thing that you can toggle a "bank" on or off with hundreds of channels in any and all.
the uniden 325 might be a bit more than you want to spend and it has 25,000 channels that you can divide up how you want.
you could set up the 100 rail channels 250 times. that should cover any combination that you want.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Do what you can to determine whether your local RR frequencies will be shifting to NXDN before buying anything. Check your state or Railfan forums to help determine this. If you tend to travel and are looking for maximum scanner usability for other areas, I'd say go with any model that is either NXDN capable out of the box (Whistler) or via paid upgrade (Uniden). These scanners will tend to be higher priced models that will have features and capabilities you will not necessarily need. But the alternative is the possible inability to monitor what you want. Keep in mind that your PRO-95 also has features and coverage you may not be interested in. But it's not likely you'll find a scanner that only covers RR frequencies.

rrman987

Keeping compatible with the PRO-95 is like staying compatible with the Model-T. No longer in production and the newer lines have a LOT more to offer.
You can literally look at my signature line to see the progression. I guess if you only want analog (no P25), and want a GRE-made model; my favorites is the PSR-310. But it's been out of production for years and you'll have to find it used.
While many of the GRE models are being sold new under the Whistler brand, it's the same old technology. I've simply not kept up on their model numbers. They would have done themselves a huge favor if they used the same numbers as GRE and, for example, sold the PSR-300 as WS300. But no.
Analog Uniden models will be comparable, but different and YMMV.
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I said was like the Pro95 is that the most used keys are right out front, no hidden menus and sub menus. So you can immediately lock out channels, immediately switch banks, immediately turn on/off back light, immediately stop scanning etc.
As a ham operator I bought a Yaesu Ft60 because it had the banks and I could put all RR in one bank, but I had to carry a "cheat-sheet" if I wanted to do anything more complex than turn it on and adjust squelch. Radio is so frustrating that I haven't been active for years, but keep license current.

So while the Pro95 is a model T, newer cars still have the familiar steering wheel, gas, and brake pedals. Power windows, air conditioning, turn signal etc are nice upgrades. I don't need a Formula 1 scanner for the RR listening, when a current Prius, VW, ford focus will get me what I need. Hope this makes sense. :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah what you write makes sense to me. I don't monitor RR so I am not sure of how new their systems are. I love the SDS for digital systems, but not for analog VHF operation. As long as you don't need P25, NXDN or some other new thing; I still strongly suggest the PSR-310. The PSR-300 is a close cousin but not as nice of a display.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You want the Uniden 396XT. Look on fleabay.
I'm not being a smartass here, honest. Why recomnmend this unit? The original question is about an analog radio for RR scanning. The OP is looking for set banks, not DMA and does not have a need for P25, but may need NXDN in the future, which this radio will not do. Quite honestly, it's more radio than they're looking for while not being enough radio at the same time IMO.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
With many home electronic products as well as appliances, it's impossible to find a device that only does what you need it to do and nothing more. Most times, in order to get features you need, you wind up getting features you don't want.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Yep just like buying a new car! I wanted the power lift gate but had to get the damn moonroof also! Which I have never opened and stymied my rooftop antenna installs.

rrman987

With many home electronic products as well as appliances, it's impossible to find a device that only does what you need it to do and nothing more. Most times, in order to get features you need, you wind up getting features you don't want.
Our simple Proctor Silex coffee maker is getting 30 years long in the tooth so we started to look for a replacement. Jeepers!! Every maker has some computer built in, wakeup timers, measure water ph, measure coffee density, measure coffee color againt your preferred color, measure drip speed per second, bluetooth to ping your phone when that brew is ready, send google links on history of coffee, dials 911 if you don't grab that first cup within 2 minutes, and on and on. Finally found Mr Coffee still makes a simple maker with just a lighted on/off switch, coffe basket and a carafe. We bought it. :)

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
That's why I like this device so much! Gets me to/from work and Saturday morning errands... no computers, driver "aids", power anything... just a killer stereo and a sunroof and I'm good...

1662076971626.png

CycleSycho

That's why I like this device so much! Gets me to/from work and Saturday morning errands... no computers, driver "aids", power anything... just a killer stereo and a sunroof and I'm good...

View attachment 127014

:) Don't get me started! All these electronics in the vehicles now, you need a doctorate in electronics theory and 50K worth of computer diagnostic tools. All I need and want is a motor (and a way to get it to the wheels), lights, wheels (including steering), brakes, and heat/ac system. Everything else is something to let a driver become a rock and just occupy the left seat (on american and all left side countries roads). PPL need to learn how to drive, feel the vehicle/road, and be defensive when they attempt to pilot a vehicle. :)

:) :) LOVE THE BUG! :) :)

MCWKen

My observations....for what it is worth.

Most if not all road channels on Class 1's and 2's remain in the AAR designated channels. Some terminal operations have gone to NXDN, however to note, that mode is not used on AAR channels.

In large Metro areas like Chicago, the railroad special agents have migrated to the State's P25 system. Also in Chicago (the largest concentration of railroads in the U.S.), only certain yards use NXDN in the 150 mhz band. At the largest rail yard in the country, North Platte, they still use standard AAR channels.

AAR channels refer to those 488 standard channels each railroad radio can be programmed to. And they are Narrow band FM although some of those channels are designated for digital. So if you are in a congested area, and you do not have NFM, your radio may get interference from other channels.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You forgot to add: no gas gauge, no fan forced defroster, no power to climb hills without a running start. My dad owned a green '60 Beetle with the cloth sunroof. I remember it well.

tvengr

Well Known Member
That's why I like this device so much! Gets me to/from work and Saturday morning errands... no computers, driver "aids", power anything... just a killer stereo and a sunroof and I'm good..
There should be a study made of how many people are killed every year by motorists distracted by using touch screens while driving. There are laws about using handheld communication devices, but the greatest danger is the electronics built right into the vehicles. I have no complaints about emergency braking and lane departure systems, but the automotive industry is contributing to death on the highways by all of the electronics requiring human interface while driving. I love my backup camera. That is a great safety device. Incidentally, I found that using a cellphone while driving blocked my vision and I felt unsafe using it and quit doing so before any laws were passed.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
You forgot to add: no gas gauge, no fan forced defroster, no power to climb hills without a running start. My dad owned a green '60 Beetle with the cloth sunroof. I remember it well.

Oh this '66 has a gas gauge (they started in '65), and with a 1776 with dual Weber carbs it not only can climb hills but has enough scoot to accelerate going up hills in 4th gear! :cool:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Oh this '66 has a gas gauge (they started in '65), and with a 1776 with dual Weber carbs it not only can climb hills but has enough scoot to accelerate going up hills in 4th gear! :cool:
I recall that on interstate highways, my dad would have build speed on down-grades to be able to make the next incline. That air cooled 36 horse engine didn't have much punch. Also in those days, the transmission was not synchromesh, so you'd have to come to a full stop before downshifting into 1st.