Warm, fuzzy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just received my SDS200 and I could tell almost immediately once I updated, upgraded and programmed it that it's the best scanner I've ever heard. No hum at all and handles simulcast like a charm. Haven't purposefully tried it on DMR or NXDN yet, but so far very happy with this purchase. ymmv
Good to hear you don't have an issue with a hum or hiss.

I'm a retired reporter from The Trentonian and I'm very familiar with scanning in your area, Mercer and Somerset County. Radio will work great on everything.

Unfortunately Trenton nxdn recently went encrypted but fire is in the clear. Depending on your antenna setup you should be able to hear that system pretty well, 2 site NX48.

Enjoy your radio!... Bob.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Unfortunately Trenton nxdn recently went encrypted but fire is in the clear. Depending on your antenna setup you should be able to hear that system pretty well, 2 site NX48.

Thanks for the information! I think Trenton would be busier than I prefer, but it would be nice to have the option to monitor if I wanted. I should be in a good position to receive that system with my antenna at 40' so I will see what I can/can't receive. I purchased the SDS200 to explore listening to things I normally wouldn't with the other scanners/radios. We'll see what I find! :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If I interpret your post correctly doc I too had waited for stock to be purged in hopes that I would get one of the newest models that would be sans some issues we all know.

We have heard some good reports with new purchasers and we have also heard people who have the hum. There was one thread where serial numbers were matched and it didn't seem to matter if it was made in 2019 or 2020, there was no predictable pattern with regard to the year made.
Thanks for the information! I think Trenton would be busier than I prefer, but it would be nice to have the option to monitor if I wanted. I should be in a good position to receive that system with my antenna at 40' so I will see what I can/can't receive. I purchased the SDS200 to explore listening to things I normally wouldn't with the other scanners/radios. We'll see what I find! :)
Yes you will have great fun with the radio, if there's any chance given the application that you want to use the radio for see if you can set up some kind of a rooftop or outside antenna, it will make all the difference, good luck.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
If I interpret your post correctly doc I too had waited for stock to be purged in hopes that I would get one of the newest models that would be sans some issues we all know.

I asked the gentleman (Scanner Master) if this unit was part of a newer batch and they stated it is and already has the mitigation factory installed. I am not taking it apart to confirm!!! ;)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good to know.

I intend to use Scanner Master too.

Hey Doc...

Don't know if you saw this post, but when you call Scanner Master, see if they will check the bar code on the outside of the box for the date:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Interesting... Scanner Master has the sds200 out of stock. Bearcat Warehouse says will be shipping week of June 22nd.

Talk about purging the shelves doc, LOL.

Kaleier1

I asked the gentleman (Scanner Master) if this unit was part of a newer batch and they stated it is and already has the mitigation factory installed. I am not taking it apart to confirm!!! ;)
The mitigation part has been installed for over 6 months at least. I bought two SDS200 scanners. Both had the mitigation fix and both had the hum from day one. The first was bought from Walmart and was sent back due to a popping noise out of the speaker at the beginning and end of every transmission. I asked Scanner Master if they had newer stock. They said they did. I ended up buying from them and the unit I received had a serial number that was 350 below the one from Walmart. I ended up doing the real fix for the hum problem.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The mitigation part has been installed for over 6 months at least. I bought two SDS200 scanners. Both had the mitigation fix and both had the hum from day one. The first was bought from Walmart and was sent back due to a popping noise out of the speaker at the beginning and end of every transmission. I asked Scanner Master if they had newer stock. They said they did. I ended up buying from them and the unit I received had a serial number that was 350 below the one from Walmart. I ended up doing the real fix for the hum problem.
You know I kept my mouth shut before because I didn't want this to turn into yet another hum thread, they are not necessary anymore, it's a non discussion.

If you have hum or not it appears as it doesn't matter if it was made in 2019 or 2020 or if the mitigation device is installed or not, it's a roll of the dice that has become a moot point now because of...

...the permanent fix, then it doesn't even matter whether or not you have the mitigation device or not, it's a moot point, you can remove it if you want.

I have a feeling if nothing changes in production it won't make any difference with the new models shipped out.
I guess I got lucky! So you can be fairly certain you are getting one from a new batch now!
Yes sir you did, in more ways than one :ROFLMAO: .

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I ordered mine from Bearcat Warehouse, with next day delivery, and got it within 2 days. With or without headphones, I hear no hum. But then again, I'm a bit tone deaf so, who knows! :D

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
And that makes 1000 JD, congratulations! Ding ding ding ding ding! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.