• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

warning lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

is it true that for your vehicle you are not allowed to have red or blue lights, but if you are construction/ gardener/ what ever you are allowed to have orange strobe lights or warning ligfhts with out a license?

garys

Premium Subscriber
It all depends on what state you live in. Check the state laws and you'll know what's legal and what's not.

Gary

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
Yeah, check your laws. Here in Ohio I was pulled over for operating my red cobra eyes on my car. I guess they think someone can mistake you as a cop for having red or blue lights.

vs1988

landonjensen said:
is it true that for your vehicle you are not allowed to have red or blue lights, but if you are construction/ gardener/ what ever you are allowed to have orange strobe lights or warning ligfhts with out a license?
Here in CT, volunteer firefighters may put blue lights in their personal vehicles. EMTs are allowed to have green lights. Both require permits, which are usually issued under the name of the agency by the chief or director. They're considered "courtesy" lights, and one cannot cut through stop signs/traffic signals or pass other vehicles unless they pull over for you. Cars don't have to get out of the way legally. Fire chiefs here are allowed to have both red and blue lights, as well as sirens in their personal vehicles. However, this makes their vehicles "emergency vehicles" by law when they are going lights/sirens to a call, so cars must pull over for them. I don't know about the orange lights, but they seem to be mostly used by public works trucks and private construction/snowplow companies. They probably require a permit to use as well.

car2back

landonjensen, Almost every state is different on this subject; I suggest to check your local statues & ordinances to find out for certain, otherwise your just going to get everyone's opinions and not the facts for your locality.

As a basic rule of thumb, Please don't be a whacker and drive around with ANY color of lights on your civilian vehicle; whether it be legal or not.

Last edited:
vs1988 said:
Here in CT, volunteer firefighters may put blue lights in their personal vehicles. EMTs are allowed to have green lights. Both require permits, which are usually issued under the name of the agency by the chief or director. They're considered "courtesy" lights, and one cannot cut through stop signs/traffic signals or pass other vehicles unless they pull over for you. Cars don't have to get out of the way legally. Fire chiefs here are allowed to have both red and blue lights, as well as sirens in their personal vehicles. However, this makes their vehicles "emergency vehicles" by law when they are going lights/sirens to a call, so cars must pull over for them. I don't know about the orange lights, but they seem to be mostly used by public works trucks and private construction/snowplow companies. They probably require a permit to use as well.
I belive its pretty similar here in NJ. The only exception being that EMTs are allowed blue lights (I've never heard of green?). Also, I don't belive "Amber" lights require a permit in NJ.

landonjensen

does anybody know about the laws / rules in California with warning lights? My brother owns an catering buisness, and many times he has to stop a / park in the middle of the street at a party, and there has been many times where he has almost been hit by vehicles, so i was thinking of getting him a amber strobe/ warning lights for his vehicle.

vs1988

Erik_T_Romatowski said:
I belive its pretty similar here in NJ. The only exception being that EMTs are allowed blue lights (I've never heard of green?). Also, I don't belive "Amber" lights require a permit in NJ.
I'd rather have the blue lights. Green lights are hard to find, and a lot of people don't pull over because they don't know what the green light is for. I'll be eligible to get my green light permit soon, but I'm not sure if I'm going to. I usually stay at the ambulance barn when I'm on duty, and response times aren't that drastically different green lights or not, IMO.

KB1JHU

I can't find it for the life of me... There was a website that had information on emergency vehicle lighting laws from most states. I remember submitting info on Maine's laws.

landonjensen

it says for california you can have amber lights as long as you have a permit. Where do you get the permits at?

okccsi

Here in Oklahoma City, all the cable and phone companies use clear strobes on their work trucks. It is all about safety.

OKC CSI

GTO_04

Premium Subscriber
phil_smith said:
landonjensen, Almost every state is different on this subject; I suggest to check your local statues & ordinances to find out for certain, otherwise your just going to get everyone's opinions and not the facts for your locality.

As a basic rule of thumb, Please don't be a whacker and drive around with ANY color of lights on your civilian vehicle; whether it be legal or not.

Uh, I think I'll keep the headlights, brake lights and turn signals!!! May actually use 'em too!

GTO_04

twolf816

its mostly up to the state but it could also be up to the agency, the fire dept i used to be on required all pov's with lights be regesterd emergency vehicles even though the state dosnt require it....and no sirens. red or white only....

DickH

landonjensen said:
it says for california you can have amber lights as long as you have a permit. Where do you get the permits at?
Why don't you call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles (or whatever it is called in CA) and ask them? Then you will know the correct information. Why do you think people here know?

buffalogoat

I believe federal DOT regs. say that you can't have any color lights except white & amber in front & red & amber in the rear unless it's a emergency vehicle. But here in SC, anyone can have amber or clear flashing lights on their vehicle... Just no red, blue or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.