WARNING: New Prolific drivers for Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

derevs

Prolific has a new set of drivers for 2012 being offered for update via Windows updates.

Apparently and it is my understanding these drivers will not work with certain non-Prolific manufactured devices and will probably prevent you from using scanners connected with these devices.

To prevent loading the new Prolific drivers set your Windows updates to "Ask Me First" and then you can "hide" the Prolific updates.

Obtained this info from another thread and thought every one should be advised.

No expert on this so please don't ask me any questions as I won't be able to answer.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Note that the USB-1 cable uses authentic Prolific parts, and does not have any problem with the latest drivers. These issues are only going to affect cables using counterfeit parts.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Prolific has a new set of drivers for 2012 being offered for update via Windows updates.

Apparently and it is my understanding these drivers will not work with certain non-Prolific manufactured devices and will probably prevent you from using scanners connected with these devices.

To prevent loading the new Prolific drivers set your Windows updates to "Ask Me First" and then you can "hide" the Prolific updates.

Obtained this info from another thread and thought every one should be advised.

No expert on this so please don't ask me any questions as I won't be able to answer.

Also, the easiest way to prevent issues like this is to NEVER use the Microsoft Update drivers. Simply check the Prolific website from time to time and manually update them yourself. You should also uninstall the previous version prior to installing the new one. This is unique to Prolific as they have a setup application that controls their driver installations. FTDI on the other hand can simply be updated and can also support multiple instances of the driver. I wish Uniden would have chose the FTDI chipset instead; however, the Prolific works just fine so long as you read the driver update instructions and follow the procedures exactly. It's okay to update the drivers; just do not use the Microsoft Update tools for ANY hardware, generally the Microsoft hardware catalog is out-of-date anyway, with the exception of x64 drivers which MUST be certified...

rbm

Last edited:
And FYI uninstalling drivers and installing drivers made no difference couldn't get it to work the only option I have to restore my back up image or format.

K

kb0nly

I always tell customers do NOT update drivers through windows update. If windows update says you have a driver update available, for example it says there is an update for your Nvidia video card, then go to Nvidia's website and get it there. I use it just as a notification, because many times it has told me there was an update for a sound card or video card and when i would install it i would get a blue screen and crash or the device would simply stop working correctly. Always go to the manufacturer for driver updates, it sounds like paranoia but i can't count how many times a customer came in with a hosed windows install because of driver updates from Microsoft...

mikemey

Premium Subscriber
Microsoft is notoriously bad in writing 3rd party drivers, tho they'll tell you otherwise.

Always get your drivers from the manufacturer of your device. Your IT Professional will thank you.

^^^ IT professional. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.