Warren COUNTY 800 system vs. psr500

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Debated if this is the right forum, or if the PSR500 forum is most appropriate... but... here we have it:

>Most< of my monitoring centers around monitoring a local Motorola Type II Smartnet system. (Warren County Ohio).

Since a week, or so, ago, I have noticed that, all of a sudden, usually on initial power-up, the scanner will stop on a talk group, the LED will be lit, as that is the way I have chosen to set it up, yet, I hear nothing. Talk group is displayed, LED is ON, yet all is silent. IT will hang there indefinately until I hit "Scan", like the scanner is "hung".

Similiarly, on occasion, the scanner will stop on a talk group, and all that is heard is "noise", i.e. open squelch with noise, no voice detetected/received. IT will hang there until "Scan" is pressed.

In either case, hitting "Scan" right away will "knock it out of this mode" and it appears to scan thru, and immediately re-stop on that offending talk group and start picking up the voice as it normally would, and SHOULD have the first time IMO.

This appears to be isolated to this particular Smartnet system, and does not appear to occur on any other monitored system I have programmed, which spans several P25s as well as the OH MARCS Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink system.

What is interesting about this, and why it is raising my eyebrows a little bit, is that this Smartnet system has always been rock-solid and NEVER displayed such behavior before---unitl now. IT is usually the "standard" I use to judge if things are working OK, as it is a decades old analog 800 system, which the 500 seems to handle with unmatched eloquence.

Certainly, something could have changed with the system itself causing this, but it did just start happening, virtually overnight, after almost a year of never noticing this issue before.

I am also very familiar with this system as I was once a fire fighter for one of the stations covered by this system. A little research on my end has NOT turned up any architecture changes in the system. They are preparing to migrate to Ohio's P25 system much later this year. As of right now, they are "living with the system until that occurs". I interpret this as "not spending any money on this old system pending the upcoming migration".

Is it possible that something has gone south in the scanner, or is this behavior known or otherwise explainable?

Just seems odd to me.....

In any case, thanks for any wisdom in advance.

Swipesy

Those of us up here in the Northeast part of Ohio had a similiar problem with the MARCS system about a year and a half ago. Our scanners would hang, just as yours is doing now, on a strange Talkgroup. I don't think we ever figured out what was causing such behavior and we just ended up locking out the one particular Talkgroup that was hanging. Not knowing for sure but I would be reasonably sure it is not your scanner but some kind of funky problem with the Smartnet System.

John

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Those of us up here in the Northeast part of Ohio had a similiar problem with the MARCS system about a year and a half ago. Our scanners would hang, just as yours is doing now, on a strange Talkgroup. I don't think we ever figured out what was causing such behavior and we just ended up locking out the one particular Talkgroup that was hanging. Not knowing for sure but I would be reasonably sure it is not your scanner but some kind of funky problem with the Smartnet System.

John

Seems reasonable. Only problem is, this ain't exactly an "odd" talk group, it is predominantly the County Fire Dispatch talk group.

NOT SAYING that this behavior isn't exactly what you describe, just that it isn't an "out there" talk group, but, unfortuneately the fire dispatch....:confused:

Also, I am not sure that this is related in any way, shape, or form, but --- when this is happening, the trunk system annunciator on the scanner display (the "T" icon) is flashing cyclically, almost like something got "hung". This may be coincidental. It does flash normally on this system, just not perfectly periodically when I notice this issue..... (???)

Swipesy

Ours was a wildcard Talkgroup that was not defined in the RR Database. One thing about our issue is that it seemed to occur only in certain parts of our geofraphical area. Some believed that it had to do with some radio interfence (doubtful since it was a Talkgroup hanging and not a control channel). If you can, you might try going to an area a few miles away and see if it still hangs. Other than that I a clueless.

John

PS - my Dad was a firefighter for 35 years. Back in the 50's I used to monitor him with a one crystal Heathkit radio (if that is what you wanted to call it).

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
John

PS - my Dad was a firefighter for 35 years. Back in the 50's I used to monitor him with a one crystal Heathkit radio (if that is what you wanted to call it).

Nice... I still remember firehouses with the suitcase-sized motorola base stations (ca. 75-100lbs) for low band.... LOL

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I'm in Warren County too. I haven't been experiencing this problem on my PRO106, Uniden 996xt, or HP1. I receive off of the Morrow tower site on 22/3.

It's possible that Warren County has introduced some bugs into the system due to the ongoing work and changes involved in switching to digital sometime in 2013. Although the system isn't on the air yet, there is a lot of hardware and system changes that are already happening at the core level.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is reasonable that they are already making changes anticipating the upgrade. Be interesting to see what happens when the move to P25 goes into fruition.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-500, an 800 and a Uniden 396t and all of them are experiencing the same thing on hanging on talkgroups. I live in Middletown and get traffic from there Northwest tower near Franklin.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so it's not just me. the LATEST is the "open squelch" thing, where, clearly someone is transmitting, but all I get is noise....then it will "break into" voice. I am near Landen. Not sure WHICH tower I am hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.