Warren County Ohio Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Warren County is looking at two specific proposals to upgrade their analog 800 trunked system

a) spend $8 million to upgrade to a motorola digital trunking system (now analog)

b)Become "absorbed" in the Ohio MARCS system. I suppose this means the the Warren COunty public safety talk groups would become talk groups on the MARCS system.

The article I read indicated that a state official was quoted as saying the Ohio MARCS system is at 1% capacity right now (do not have enough knowledge as to believe that, or question it, but..... wow)

If I learn more, I'll psot it here.

budevans

County's doing upgrades and tying into MARCS are going to the new P25 system not the existing Moto Type II. Plenty of ID's available on P25.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I cannot remember where I read this in the past, but I recall hearing that Warren County was also considering merging with Butler County's infrastructure to limit core costs.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
My observations regarding talk groups is this:

In District 8 (where I reside), I have programmed no less than 200 talk groups, of which, based on the hit counts I look at, only 6-7 talk groups getn any traffic at all.

Assigning talk groups does NOT mean tha the system is utilized much. In the case of district 8, it would be my observation that the system is grossly UNDER-utilized.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I cannot remember where I read this in the past, but I recall hearing that Warren County was also considering merging with Butler County's infrastructure to limit core costs.

interesting.... haven't heard that one at all. Heh, however, ANYTHING that makes a county commissioner believe the hit won't come out of THEIR budget looks good, I am sure... irregardless of the end result.

I have read, recently, that there were/are ALSO discussions of turning the Warren County Communications Center over to the Sherriff's office.

Now, one of the county Commissioners is the former/retired Warren County Sherrif.... COINCIDENCE ONLY, I AM SURE...:roll:

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin

That is true and first mentioned last summer. They are considering running off of the BRICS' controller which has plenty of capacity.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am now understanding that the Warren COunty commissioners have agreed to pony up the ca$h to upgrade their existing system to a digital trunked system (from the present analog trunked system) --- Motorola.

LOL.. the article indicated they were changing from analog frequencies to digital frequencies. Not sure what the EM wave characterists are of either, to be sure........wonder how many digital hertz there are in an analog hertz.

I believe I heard that they are adding 2 new towers to the existing 5 towers already operating.

I have no clue if this will be a P25, or what. Looks like they decided to update theirs rather than merge with MARCS or a neighboring digital system. I am trying to get reliable concrete info from someone in a positon that really knows.

Last edited:

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
have no clue if this will be a P25, or what. Looks like they decided to update theirs rather than merge with MARCS or a neighboring digital system. I am trying to get reliable concrete info from someone in a positon that really knows.

More than likely it will be same kind of system as Butler and Hamilton Counties, they want to keep it relative for interoperbility.
There has also been talk of tying the systems together as a regional system, much like is going in right now in Northwestern Ohio.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
Warren County merging with Ohio MARCS

Great video published by Warren County telecom on YouTube:
Beyond Boundaries - Paul Kindell / Telecom Speech - YouTube

If this link doesn't work, search for "Beyond Boundaries - Paul Kindell / Telecom Speech" on YouTube

According to this video, Warren County is going to merge with Ohio MARCS in 2013. In the process, Warren County is going to build new towers in Harlan Twp and Clearcreek Twp.

I wonder if any agencies will go encrypted in the switch. There wasn't any mention of that.

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend that works for the Sheriff's Office and said that likely all of the Tac. and Local tgrps will be encrpyted. Dispatch tgrps will all stay in the clear. The template of tgrps that are in the clear and encrypted will be similar to the BRICS system in Butler County. Nothing is finalized yet but it seems as though that is what they are leaning towards presently. -rob-

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
The issue with MARCS is not talk groups, its radio id's. They are VERY short of them fot the current system. When MARCS upgrades they wiil have plenty for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.