Was recently told this was illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

By a park ranger at Yellowstone, that I could not monitor NPS frequencies within the park while I was there.
Any truth to this? How would I be breaking any federal laws? Granted the radio might scare a bear or elk if they heard something but just sitting in the parking lot?

nd5y

If they use encryption then he's right.
Otherwise he lied (or is ignorant or just stupid) and needs to read
47 USC 605 and
18 USC 2510 - 18 USC 2515

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Ask for a copy of that rule/law/whatever or ask where it is stated/posted.

WB9YBM

By a park ranger at Yellowstone, that I could not monitor NPS frequencies within the park while I was there.
Any truth to this? How would I be breaking any federal laws? Granted the radio might scare a bear or elk if they heard something but just sitting in the parking lot?

Reminds me of an incident where I was told by a shopping mall security person that FCC licensed ham equipment was not allowed to operate in the mall. I confirmed afterwards they had no authority to make that call since the authority of the Federal Government is a few levels above a rent-a-cop. Not sure, but I'm guessing an FCC agent is a bit higher in authority than Smokey the Bear.

Either way, getting into a pissing contest might not be the best idea--there's probably a better way to handle it, like getting it in writing from the FCC.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
FCC licensed ham equipment was not allowed to operate in the mall.

A mall is private property, so yes they can ban it if it is mall policy.

Sounds like a government official that thinks they have more power than they really do.

Ranger0034

I believe most mall properties frown upon two way radios and/or scanners because they believe it could assist professional shoplifting rings in furthering their criminal cause.

RFI-EMI-GUY

A mall is private property, so yes they can ban it if it is mall policy.

Sounds like a government official that thinks they have more power than they really do.

The National Park Rules might cover this. If not, and more appropriately, the NPS rangers and police probably have greater authority on NPS property than do the FCC. First, NPS frequencies are NTIA issued, Not issued by FCC.

Secondly, if a Park Ranger tells you not to eat an ice cream cone somewhere in the park and you persist, you can be trespassed off. If you are using a scanner, in the NP do so discretely with headphones.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Secondly, if a Park Ranger tells you not to eat an ice cream cone somewhere in the park and you persist, you can be trespassed off.
I would have to disagree with that. A park ranger does not have totalitarian power to tell you to do whatever they want or trespass you out of the park. The Ranger can only trespass you out of the park for violating established rules and laws, not because he does not like you eating ice cream. If there is some law about listening to a scanner, or maybe a radio without headphones then yes, the park ranger would have to specifically tell you what law or regulation you are violating. A mall cop does not.

Too many law enforcement officers “make up” their own laws on the fly.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

AJAT

Premium Subscriber

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would have to disagree with that. A park ranger does not have totalitarian power to tell you to do whatever they want or trespass you out of the park. The Ranger can only trespass you out of the park for violating established rules and laws, not because he does not like you eating ice cream. If there is some law about listening to a scanner, or maybe a radio without headphones then yes, the park ranger would have to specifically tell you what law or regulation you are violating. A mall cop does not.

Too many law enforcement officers “make up” their own laws on the fly.

Yet, he has same powers as a Mall security cop as far as trespass. Try disobeying an order from a park ranger. Good luck on your battle Don Quiote.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There is the OPs answer, it is not allowed.

Nor is eating an ice cream cone in certain areas.

SC11. The possession or consumption of food and beverages is prohibited in all thermal areas, except when contained in a pack like container for carrying purposes. Water is not included in this prohibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.