Wasatch County Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Sorry if this is a lame question but I can't quite get my small brain around this Trunking yet... I have my scanner up and running for Wasatch County and Heber City for the things I like to listen to but....I often drive up Daniels Canyon and up to the Strawberry Res. area. When I do I lose reception of WCSO even though I know their radios work up there... So, do I just need to add the control channels for that area in the same group as I have the Wasatch Simulcast 852.46250c? If I added "Daniels Canyon 853.91250c? to the group will my scanner be "fighting" between the Simulcast and the Canyon when I'm in an area that those two might bleed over each other? If they don't conflict with each other can I just add all of the "Wasatch" control channels and I'll get it wherever I am within that area without having to switch things around on the radio? Or am I better of programing one group for each area within Wasatch County and switch it around every time? (I hope not PITA)

Thank you in advance for any help,

Mike

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Sorry if this is a lame question but I can't quite get my small brain around this Trunking yet... I have my scanner up and running for Wasatch County and Heber City for the things I like to listen to but....I often drive up Daniels Canyon and up to the Strawberry Res. area. When I do I lose reception of WCSO even though I know their radios work up there... So, do I just need to add the control channels for that area in the same group as I have the Wasatch Simulcast 852.46250c? If I added "Daniels Canyon 853.91250c? to the group will my scanner be "fighting" between the Simulcast and the Canyon when I'm in an area that those two might bleed over each other? If they don't conflict with each other can I just add all of the "Wasatch" control channels and I'll get it wherever I am within that area without having to switch things around on the radio? Or am I better of programing one group for each area within Wasatch County and switch it around every time? (I hope not PITA)

Thank you in advance for any help,

Mike
Hi Mike - I'll take a stab at this. Some of it depends on the specific scanner you have and one small setting, but generally YES you need to add the control channels for sites in the area you wish to travel in. If you have the PSR500/600 or the RatSHack equivalent, you need to set the Multi Site setting to Roam so the radio will find the strongert control channel and use that. Do you use one of the computer programs? If so that change is easy.
That's a brief answer!
W

bchris

Mike,
I agree with everything Wally said, and would like to add the following...

I have my scanner up and running for Wasatch County and Heber City for the things I like to listen to but....I often drive up Daniels Canyon and up to the Strawberry Res. area. When I do I lose reception of WCSO even though I know their radios work up there... So, do I just need to add the control channels for that area in the same group as I have the Wasatch Simulcast 852.46250c?

YES, that would be the quickest, easiest, and take up the least room in your scanner. The only downside is the answers to your next questions...

If I added "Daniels Canyon 853.91250c" to the group will my scanner be "fighting" between the Simulcast and the Canyon when I'm in an area that those two might bleed over each other?

YES, it will, but we need to know what scanner you have in order to say what it would really do. I own a GRE but very seldom use it. I have several Unidens. If I remember correctly, with the GRE you set some threshold for signal strength to tell the GRE when to look for a stronger CC. That way it only uses 1 CC at a time (the strongest one) for a given system. (corrections from GRE guys are welcome.)

With the newest Unidens you can add multiple sites to any system, along with all the talkgroups for that system. You could have 1 site for Wasatch Simulcast, 1 for Daniels, 1 for Strawberry, 1 for Clayton, 1 for Lewis Pk, and so on, all in the same system and therefore all using the same list of TG's. The only downside here is that your scanner will spend 1 second on each scan cycle for every CC it can detect, even if there is no traffic on that site. (If there is no CC detected for that site it will only spend a fraction of a second looking for the CC, then move on.) It is also easy to add a Quick-Key to any site to enable and disable it anytime you want.

If they don't conflict with each other can I just add all of the "Wasatch" control channels and I'll get it wherever I am within that area without having to switch things around on the radio?

In my older Unidens I do exactly what you said. Since they only allow 1 site per system, I add all the CC's to the single site named 'Wasatch Area'. The scanner will hold on to a given CC as long as it can hear it, then it will look for a new one. To me this seems similar to the GRE's in that it will only hear 1 CC at a time for that system. The frustrating part for me in this scenario (whether GRE or older Uniden) is that I don't know for sure when the scanner lost one CC and then found a new one. In other words, I only get to hear 1 site at a time, and most of the time while traveling I don't know for sure which site it is. The older Uniden (unlike the GRE) will hang on to that CC as long as it can hear it, even if there is a stronger CC now available. However, when that old CC drops out even for a moment, the scanner will look for another from the list and then hang on to it.

With ANY scanner in a trunking system, you need to know this: If there is someone in Heber having a conversation, but you are near Strawberry and there is no one with a Ucan radio set to that channel and connected to or 'affiliated' with the Strawberry site, you will waste 1 second scanning Strawberry when the conversation is not even present on that site. In other words, the Ucan Trunking system does not know or care that YOU are near that site wanting to hear the WCSO channel, it only cares if there is a UCAN RADIO near enough to be affiliated with that site and that radio is set to the WCSO channel. Make sense? Just a heads up so you aren't too frustrated when you hear much less traffic on Daniels and Strawberry than you do in the valley, no matter which scanner you have. On the other hand, if Strawberry or Daniels is the ONLY site you can get for the moment, that's far better than nothing, so why not listen anyway.

--bc

Last edited:

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Awesome reply B.C.! Thank you so much for your time and great explanation! BTW I have the PRO-164.
Again, thank you!

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
It would be interesting to know by having two scanners --- one set on the cc for Wasatch Simulcast and the other one to change cc's from Daniel's to Strawberry as one is going into these areas to see how each
reacts and how much "overlap" WSCO actually has on each tower......

Paul

N7YUO

I use the PSR500, and I never use multi-site trunking because it wants to sample every site all the time.
Instead, I put in multiple control channels in one scanlist. Here is an example:
I have a scanlist named Interstate 80. It has these control channels: Wendover, Delle, Nelson, Parleys, Lewis, Wasatch Simul, Echo, Humpy, and Medicine Butte. (Salt Lake is a scanlist of it's own).
As I travel the I-80 corridor, the scanner locks onto a strong control channel. it stays locked on until the signal threshold drops to whatever the default value is. It then scans the list of CC's for another signal.

This is not unlike putting the Primary and Alternate CC's in a scanlist or bank. If the Primary CC goes down (silent) the scanner scans for another CC. I have never had any scanner "fight over" multiple CC's.

If you are equal distant between two sites, the scanner may "affiliate" with the one you may not want. Example: I am traveling in Davis County and the scanner "affiliates" with Francis Peak instead of Davis Simul.

Status
Not open for further replies.