Washington / Clackamas county trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
I live in Beaverton and occasionally travel into Clackamas county so I deffinetly want to hear both. Question is should I have one bank/scan list with all sites from both counties in my gre psr-310 or should I split them up and have Washington county sites on one bank/scan list and have the Clackamas county sites on a separate scan list/bank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
My opinion is this.

Create two systems, one with the base simulcast system for Washington County and one with the base simulcast system for Clackamas County.

Create your scanlists with the WC groups you want and the CC groups you want in both systems, but lock out (or turn off) the ones that don't "match".

that should give you the greatest flexibility.

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
My opinion is this.

Create two systems, one with the base simulcast system for Washington County and one with the base simulcast system for Clackamas County.

Create your scanlists with the WC groups you want and the CC groups you want in both systems, but lock out (or turn off) the ones that don't "match".

that should give you the greatest flexibility.

I ended up pretty much doing this except not just with base simulcast. I did WC Base along w/ "western WC" and also threw the Newberg in there and then did another Scan list w/ CC base as well as simulcast. For both scan lists i have everything being scanned, but i also created a 3rd w/ ALL sites, control channels from both counties and that is the one i locked everything out except the ones i listen to... we will see what that does.

Do you happen to have a GRE device?

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
I ended up pretty much doing this except not just with base simulcast. I did WC Base along w/ "western WC" and also threw the Newberg in there and then did another Scan list w/ CC base as well as simulcast. For both scan lists i have everything being scanned, but i also created a 3rd w/ ALL sites, control channels from both counties and that is the one i locked everything out except the ones i listen to... we will see what that does.

Do you happen to have a GRE device?

not that i'm fluent with. lol

i use pro96com and win500 to mess with the pro-106 (or whatever version this non-gre labelled gre radio is) but i use it primarily for decoding p25 data streams.

my fluency is pretty much with uniden.

for what it's worth, (and not including newberg because it's been a couple years since I spent any time in that town with a scanner) you don't really need to include the intellipeater sites (w wash county, e clack county) because they, as a rule, only transmit a subset of the traffic from the main simulcast (which carries everything unless all channels are busy).

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
Right on! Thanks for the info. It doesn't hurt that I programmed those sites ( w. washington & e clack) in does it? And my gre question is should I have my scanner set to roaming or off? It's within a setting called "Multi-site" which is a setting for each trunking system I have programmed.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Re: the sites, no it doesn't hurt, but you could miss some comms that you might otherwise think you should hear (if the radio is listening to one of the fill-in sites and not the main simulcast).

Re: the multi-site features and "roaming" option: I don't understand that feature well enough to answer the question. :(

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
Re: the sites, no it doesn't hurt, but you could miss some comms that you might otherwise think you should hear (if the radio is listening to one of the fill-in sites and not the main simulcast).

Re: the multi-site features and "roaming" option: I don't understand that feature well enough to answer the question. :(

So what about big systems like Portland? Would you stay away from adding all those sites in as well?

DickH

So what about big systems like Portland? Would you stay away from adding all those sites in as well?

Definitely. Someone else tried that and was having all sorts of trouble with missing conversations and parts of conversations. For Portland, put in only the 4 control channels for the simulcast system.

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
So for this particular system if I take eastern clack county and western Washington county out should I leave newberg control channels programmed in since its further out and I believe it's a newer addition..?

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
So for this particular system if I take eastern clack county and western Washington county out should I leave newberg control channels programmed in since its further out and I believe it's a newer addition..?

As I said a few posts up, everything Newberg/Dundee-related can be heard on the Washington County Simulcast, or Site 1. You don't need to program in Site 5 UNLESS you're going to be within Newberg city limits, and last I recall when I was down there, I didn't even need it because I had such a strong signal coming off of Parrett Mountain for the WC simulcast.

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
I think I'll leave it in. Because we do occasionally go down that way! Is it the same circumstances for the western wash county? Because we do go out to the western side a lot..

Status
Not open for further replies.