Washington Co. Sheriffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs96

Does anyone know what frequencies the sheriffs in Washington County use??? I work in Follansbee and would like to listen to them.

fred4405

Washington County Sheriff

Washington County PA Sheriff works on the frequency of 155.010. It is a non-repeated frequency. This channel was supposed to be the County Index channel.

ctrabs74

rs96 said:
Does anyone know what frequencies the sheriffs in Washington County use??? I work in Follansbee and would like to listen to them.

If Washington Co is like the other 66 counties in Pa., then there really isn't much worth listenting to. I'd suspect it'd be mostly prisoner transports and courthouse security; after listening to Chester Co Sheriff on it's repeater, it just got to be very boring (but that's just my opinion).

Side note: In Pa., sheriff's deputies responsibilities are limited to the transport of prisoners, processing of warrants and other court issued orders (liens, evictions, etc) and maintaining security at the county courthouse. By state law, they do not have the same law enforcement powers as State Police or even local municipal police. (If someone else can explain this better than I can, feel free to interject.)

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
ctrabs74 said:
If Washington Co is like the other 66 counties in Pa., then there really isn't much worth listenting to. I'd suspect it'd be mostly prisoner transports and courthouse security; after listening to Chester Co Sheriff on it's repeater, it just got to be very boring (but that's just my opinion).

Side note: In Pa., sheriff's deputies responsibilities are limited to the transport of prisoners, processing of warrants and other court issued orders (liens, evictions, etc) and maintaining security at the county courthouse. By state law, they do not have the same law enforcement powers as State Police or even local municipal police. (If someone else can explain this better than I can, feel free to interject.)

Pennsylvania Sheriff's do have the authority to enforce laws, issue citations, and make arrests. In the 1970's, the state courts declared that the Sheriff's in PA no longer had this authority but that decision was overturned in the 90's.

As far as being boring...the early morning warrant services that Montco Sheriff's perform can get pretty interesting. They've yielded barricaded gunmen with SWAT callouts (there was a major incident earlier this year in the Upper Hanover area after deputies came under fire while knocking on the door to serve) and people running across rooftops to elude arrest.

Depending on the county, Sheriff's are involved with a number of specialty operations including drug task forces and bomb squads. Every county in PA is different.

http://www.pasheriffs.org

http://www.pasheriffs.org/Leet_Kline_Lockridge_sums.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff#Pennsylvania

Personally, I think Sheriff's deputies should be better utilized in areas in need of additional police.

Norristown and Montco have begun a program where some of the bazillion Sheriff's deputies (there were 101 on the roster at one point) in town perform foot patrols downtown during the day. Even though criminal activity around the courthouse is minimal, it was thought that the visible presence would make visiting jurors more comfortable in town since many of them had never been there. Before court opens for the day, deputies also man the crosswalks heading to the courthouse to enforce the "yield to pedestrians in crosswalk" law that nobody in PA seems to understand. Montco's Bomb Squad is also very busy.

ctrabs74

benrussellpa said:
Pennsylvania Sheriff's do have the authority to enforce laws, issue citations, and make arrests. In the 1970's, the state courts declared that the Sheriff's in PA no longer had this authority but that decision was overturned in the 90's.

Then I stand corrected. I had read news reports where some sheriff's in rural upstate counties (can't recall which ones offhand) were seeking expanded duties comparible with PSP and were denied by the courts. I had also attended some West Chester Borough Council meetings in which similar statements about limited jurisdiction were made; thanks for correcting and clarifying my earlier statements.

As far as being boring...the early morning warrant services that Montco Sheriff's perform can get pretty interesting. They've yielded barricaded gunmen with SWAT callouts (there was a major incident earlier this year in the Upper Hanover area after deputies came under fire while knocking on the door to serve) and people running across rooftops to elude arrest.

Depending on the county, Sheriff's are involved with a number of specialty operations including drug task forces and bomb squads. Every county in PA is different.

The only specialty operations that I know of in Chester County is the K-9 unit, which was put into use the other day when Conestoga High School was evacuated due to an alleged bomb threat (I think it was the 2nd such incident there in the past 6 months). Other than that, ChesCo Sheriff is relatively boring (compared to MontCo)...

Personally, I think Sheriff's deputies should be better utilized in areas in need of additional police.

I agree, however you know that PSP is going to pitch a territorial hissy fit over that suggestion. It also depends on the philosophy of the individual sheriff in his/her respective county. Some residents in West Chester had suggested using the CCSD to supplement weekend night patrols in the borough to assist the overworked West Chester PD (brass has been trying for at least the past two years to get the borough to hire additional officers, but, citing money, council has rejected the idea); that idea didn't seem to get anywhere because of the CCSD's limited scope.

That said, if I were living in a township that had PSP coverage (ie. West Bradford or Pocopson), my preference would be to try and form a regional police agency (ie. Upper Perkiomen or Westtown-East Goshen) with neighboring townships or to contract police protections with a larger department (as East Bradford does with West Chester) before turning to a county sheriff's office. Now, that might be a more viable option in counties that have no municipal police agencies (Sullivan County, for example), but that's another story...

Montco's Bomb Squad is also very busy.

At least you have a full bomb squad. Chester County has had to rely on MontCo's Bomb Squad on several occasions, which in a county of our size and relative wealth, is almost ridiculous (there's no reason why one of the larger depts. - West Chester, Coatesville, Tredyffrin, or even one of the county's regional ERT units - couldn't form a bomb squad).

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
ctrabs74 said:
The only specialty operations that I know of in Chester County is the K-9 unit, which was put into use the other day when Conestoga High School was evacuated due to an alleged bomb threat (I think it was the 2nd such incident there in the past 6 months). Other than that, ChesCo Sheriff is relatively boring (compared to MontCo)...

I checked out the Chesco Sheriff's Office page. Talk about minimalizng an agency. Sheesh.

Mylan

Feed Provider
fred4405 said:
Washington County PA Sheriff works on the frequency of 155.010. It is a non-repeated frequency. This channel was supposed to be the County Index channel.

OK so if 155.010 is The sheriff then what or where is zone 1 zone 2 and zone 3?

I pick up all three loud and clear here in monroe co ohio.....

nyquiljunkie

http://www.wpascanner.com/wiki/index.php?title=PA:Washington_County
you can see the 3 main police zones in Washington county

better a late reply than never, this thread popped up in a search.... :)

scanning 155.010 and watching the PL# search thing, then relooking it up I also get loud and clear;
(I am in zone 2)

88.5 = beaver co police
192.8=Indiana county
and a few others I havent figured out as yet using 155.010.

Who knows where those are coming from.

if the published lists are right only 110.9 is Washington county.
At least, I hope so.
lol

late to reply I hope that was of some use.

Status
Not open for further replies.