Washington County-996XT File

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty54017

Recently picked up the Uniden BCD996XT. I live in New Richmond, WI and am unable to pick up ANY Washington Co. radio traffic. I'm using a file found on this forum (attached below). Any clue as to what is wrong?

Attachments

• METRO.zip
    10 KB · Views: 39

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
Hiya..It looks like the type of system you have setup for is motorola type 2 and should be set for P25 Standard Digital XT..or at least that's how mine is setup..I have the 396xt. The closest tower you'll receive over here(I'm in Somerset) is 853.7375 and that is the tower just outside of town..Washco owns that..Try changin the type of system and see what happens - Edit: I spose I should say how to do that as it might help a bit..Up where it sez [MOT2 ARMER]..click on that and then on the right side it'll say Type..change from Mot Type II / P25 to P25 Standard Digital XT..it'll popup and say that with a caution saying you'll be changing all the sites in that system to that type..go ahead n click Yes. I see that 853.7375 is listed in the Trunk Frequencies tab if you click the [P25 Washington] site so that should probably be fine..If you were to go west, you might pickup the other frequencies there..I'm not sure what other towers are nearby or there frequencies cuz I usually just use 853.7375 and I'm in the same area..Anyhoo..lemme know if things work or not

Last edited:

smitty54017

Thanks! I'm giving it a shot. As of now, still silent while St. Croix & Polk Counties have activity. Odd.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
It's possible you're out of range too. If you can try getting in your car with it and heading towards the border. What software are you using?

smitty54017

I'm using Freescan. I though about being out of range, but the Somerset tower is less than 10 miles away. The coverage map shows coverage well onto St. Croix County. I was also thinking about going for a drive too. LOL

smitty54017

I'm getting about 3 bars worth. I got a couple garbled transmissions from squads last night, but no dispatch talk.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
Somethin I see that could also be an issue is there aren't any talkgroups for Washco..just the control channel..Should be stuff in the range of talkgroups 3600 to like 3900 or so..3618(Washco PD Dispatch North) and 3620(Washco PD Dispatch South) should be in there somewheres to begin with

smitty54017

I think I found the issue. I took the scanner outside and everything came in loud and clear, as if I was sitting under the tower. I put the Sherlock Holmes in me to work. Apparently, it's my WiFi. I changed the router's channels, now everything is loud and clear. Thank you to everyone for their input!!

smitty54017

Very frustrating. WashCo comes in loud and clear for a while, with 4 bars signal strength. Then BAM! Nothing for a couple of days.

johnmoe1

(I don't have a scanner and don't know how to read that big file posted above.)

Is it possible that when you are hearing WashCo, you are getting it from a non-Washington County site? And that maybe you aren't getting the Washington site at all? Is it possible to just clear out all of the settings and just point it to the Washington control channel at 853.7375 MHz? (And just to repeat, I do not own any scanner much less the Uniden BCD996XT and have no idea if what I am asking is reasonable.)

smitty54017

Is it possible that when you are hearing WashCo, you are getting it from a non-Washington County site? And that maybe you aren't getting the Washington site at all? Is it possible to just clear out all of the settings and just point it to the Washington control channel at 853.7375 MHz? (And just to repeat, I do not own any scanner much less the Uniden BCD996XT and have no idea if what I am asking is reasonable.)

I was definitely getting Washington Co/MN State Patrol/Ramsey County, according to the frequencies posted in the database.

smitty54017

It is set to ID Search.

At this point, I'm leaning towards believing there is some type of interference. To go from clear, full signal one minute, to absolutely no signal for days in a row, it has to be more than the antenna, etc. I also have Dakota, Chisago, and Ramsey counties programmed and am not receiving those anymore either.

blue5011

You might also try looking your elevation and surrounding terrain.

I mention this because I am assisting a gentleman w/ his HP1 and it's lack of reception. I used google earth to run elevation profiles to three nearby MN ARMER towers. It turns out he has significant nearby hill "masses" between his home and the towers. I didn't believe it until I saw the profiles, but in one case the hill is fifty feet higher than his home.

I am debating whether an outdoor roof-top antenna will "fix" the reception issue for him.

Good luck, sorry I could not help you more.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber

Given his location I think Washington County is likely the only site that he'd be able to pick up.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
It is set to ID Search.

At this point, I'm leaning towards believing there is some type of interference. To go from clear, full signal one minute, to absolutely no signal for days in a row, it has to be more than the antenna, etc. I also have Dakota, Chisago, and Ramsey counties programmed and am not receiving those anymore either.

There's a lot of things that can affect reception. Based on where you say you are I'm guessing it's a combination of distance, terrain, and atmospheric conditions that are hurting your reception. I'd try to get an antenna somewhat high and outside if I were you, or maybe try a yagi pointed at the tower site.

Status
Not open for further replies.