Washington County UCAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior1970

Hey all,

I happened to pick up the UCAN Radio Techs this evening and it sounds like they are in Washington County working on the new UCAN sites down that way. One was a conversation between a tech driving on I-15 from MM 33 to about 40. He was dropping out here and there when the other tech told him to "switch to Webb Hill" (this is the site east of Bloomington.) He did about MM 39 at which the other tech said "we'll loose you in about a mile." At which point I heard "Switching to ITAC" (Which is the national/state repeater.)

I can confirm that as when travelling down that way in January that is when I picked up Webb was about MM 40 and I heard TG 30464 (UHP) and one of the Cache TG which was odd...but rather fascinating! The beauty of affilliation!

From the sounds of it probably the Toquerville site is up and running. Or maybe Utah Hill for I have picked up the Nevada NSRS repeater that far north on 15 as well.

Time for some sleuthing......

PS: I heard all of this chatter on Site 4 FWIW.

Last edited:

walld13

Ucan

way to go that is some good work done while you was down there maybe it will not be long before we can listen to st george in salt lake . i can some time pick up that area when i have my scaner in the open mode

Hooligan

A UCAN Engineering tech was at the Toquerville site today, having rather lengthy dialog with another tech on the Engineering 1 channel.

853.6375 continued to be the Toquerville site's data channel, and 851.650, 851.975, 851.2375 were Toquerville voice channels that carried the conversation. Should there be more than the 3 voice & one data RF channels?

Hooligan

By the way, the UHP Cedar/Virgin area units still use their VHF channels (like 155.625 rptr) for dispatch & local car/car. I don't know if they eventually plan on migrating up to UCAN for dispatch, etc.
c
There was just one time when I heard on 155.625 repeater one unit tell another to "switch to 800 car to car." Found the conversation on the know talk-group. Seems like the were just using it because they were out of range for their VHF simplex car/car channel (which based on some of the politically-incorrect conversations I've heard, they have no clue that others can tune it in.).

I don't think the Toquerville site coverage extends up very far N, due to terrain, & the UHP Virgin/Cedar area guys cover up to at least around I-15 mm 100 in Northern Iron County. Depending on what sort of coverage they want to have on UCAN, they'd need at least one good site in Iron County or Beaver County, something covering the Virgin River Gorge stretch of I-15 (155.625 covers it pretty well now), and something up to cover the US-389 stretch around Washington County's Apple Valley & Hildale areas. That stretch is usually covered by WSO.

Junior1970

By the way, the UHP Cedar/Virgin area units still use their VHF channels (like 155.625 rptr) for dispatch & local car/car. I don't know if they eventually plan on migrating up to UCAN for dispatch, etc.
c
There was just one time when I heard on 155.625 repeater one unit tell another to "switch to 800 car to car." Found the conversation on the know talk-group. Seems like the were just using it because they were out of range for their VHF simplex car/car channel (which based on some of the politically-incorrect conversations I've heard, they have no clue that others can tune it in.).

I don't think the Toquerville site coverage extends up very far N, due to terrain, & the UHP Virgin/Cedar area guys cover up to at least around I-15 mm 100 in Northern Iron County. Depending on what sort of coverage they want to have on UCAN, they'd need at least one good site in Iron County or Beaver County, something covering the Virgin River Gorge stretch of I-15 (155.625 covers it pretty well now), and something up to cover the US-389 stretch around Washington County's Apple Valley & Hildale areas. That stretch is usually covered by WSO.

According to the FCC info, besides Toquerville and the site by the Bloomington exit that is active (Webb Hill), there are sites planned at Utah Hill and Big Mountain near Central. I'm not sure if either of those sites will penetrate those areas but I know that I have tuned in to the Nevada Shared Radio System out by Hildale in the past and their repeater is on Utah Hill so maybe that will be it there.
Also if UHP has 800 Mhz radios now they have access to the ITAC frequencies which are the National and State Repeaters. These are point to point no trunking involved and cover the parts of the state that are not covered by a UCAN trunked site. I believe there is a repeater at Frisco Peak which covers both Iron and Beaver counties and there is a repeater already at Utah Hill also.
So is TG 30464 no longer patched to 155.625 and is now being used solely as a car to car TG (Talkgroup)?

Also referring to your last post: according to the FCC website Toquerville is a five channel site. Usually in a trunking rotation, if my recollection is correct, the least heard voice frequency is the alternate control channel. Without plugging it into Trunker or Unitrunker we wouldn't know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Hooligan

Just for the heck or it, here's the basics on the three UCAN sites I'm currently hearing here in Washington County:

852.6625 TRS UCAN Webb Hill site data channel SID:7202 S4 CT:138.46 Name: WEBB

853.475 TRS UCAN Utah Hill site data channel SID:643E & 7202 S03 CT138.46 Name: UTHILL

853.6375 TRS UCAN Toquerville Hill site data channel; SID: 7202 S54 CT:138.46 Name: TOQUER

Not a lot on them yet -- For some reason (maybe burning in the transmitters) at least some of the sites have been passing SL County UHP Dispatch for the past couple months. Also Adult Parole & Probation, UCAN System Techs when they've affiliated in the area, one of the P25-secure MEDEVAC Helo dispatch TGs, and then my locally-produced 30464 UHP Cedar - Virgin Area, and 30720 Washington County SO & small PDs Dispatch (155.430).

I'll start paying attention for 800MHz antennas on public safety vehicles down here (many do have on-glass 800 or PCS types already, I assume for their mobile data computers).

Also, I just bought a new computer, so I'm about ready to start playing with Trunker, which I've never used before. If any of you have experience using Trunker with a Uniden 996XT and/or GRE PSR-500 & Windows OS, please PM me.

seanturpin01

I have heard alot more activity on TGID #30720 the last 2 days, especially today. Seems like the UCAN engineers have all the sites up and running in good order. I wish I had a digital scanner though because I have heard alot of activity on there P25 channel! I have a 3 year old pro-97 but it works just fine for analog and trunk systems.

By the way, Im Sean, im new on here. I live in st.george area. Been lookin around on here for the last couple months. Just learning more about scanning, trunking, scanners, all that good stuff. You guys will probably see more of me on here as I get more familiar. Its nice to have found this site and forum! Its been a pleasure!

Hooligan

I wish I had a digital scanner though because I have heard alot of activity on there P25 channel! I have a 3 year old pro-97 but it works just fine for analog and trunk systems.

Whose P25 channel?

Welcome to RR.com, Sean. I expect you've already noticed the Washington County data in the RR database
needs some major work.

Not much P25 activity within Washington County -- 1 NPS simplex channel, at least 1 FBI repeater (& simplex freqs,) that's not really used, the only P25 stuff I hear on UCAN down here is the encrypted dispatch talk group for one of the helicopter medevac entities, and then there's one frequently used P25 repeater around but that's one we probably shouldn't talk about.

Tim

seanturpin01

Thank you, and yes I do notice it needs a lil bit of work. But for the most part it got me to where I can program the majority if not all of the washington county frequencies in, which is cool for now.

But yeahhhhh, I think I am talking about the one we shouldn't talk about. Its the only one that I have heard digital sounding noise on out of the frequencies I programed in for st.george from the RR database.

Hooligan

UCAN TG 28864 has been coming thru the Webb Hill (St George) site for the past couple days. Sounds like it's Logan Fire/EMS.

So far, I've heard it coming thru Webb Hill but haven't noticed the two other local sites simulcasting it.

Hooligan

TGs 1600, and 28704 (LE in Cache County) are now being simulcast by the Webb Hill site. Possibly due to radios on those TGs affiliating with UCAN Webb Hill, or possibly because the UCAN engineers are doing it to burn in the transmitters, test coverage, or to load the system up for licensing reasons..

Just to reiterate, the only local Washington County traffic I'm hearing on UCAN are St George PD channel 1 (155.670/167.9Hz) & UHP Cedar District's Virgin River area post (155.625/203.5Hz), & sometimes the UCAN system engineer/techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.