washington county...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

Does any body know what is up with thw WCSP and MDSP. WHen i enter the freqs from the database i rarely get any activity. Is there any new stuff i dont know about.

spanner

Premium Subscriber
I hear them everyday.

MSP/WCSD....

Are you listening on a stock rubber duck antenna on a handheld? Stock antenna on a base scanner?

Tell us more, please.

I recently put a mobile antenna outside my window at the apartment I live in, and hear them fine in the Williamsport area.

I do not hear them when they are in Hancock, or at Fort Ritchie............

Also, check that you have 39.18 (WCSD) and 39.34 (MSP) in......

And for those interested in the V/U/Tac.....Still nothing on them!!!!!

wmbio

Hi

No changes to MSP or the WCS, you can monitor the Allegany county scanner site for this traffic, there is a slight delay over the actual transmission but this will let you know when things get busy in Washington county. Here is the addy http://acmscanner.no-ip.org/

Use IE6.

V/U/Tac.....Still nothing on them!!!!!....Nothing in Cumberland either

Enjoy
Wmbio

Last edited:

Whistler

UTAC in Allegany County

I was heading to work this morning in Cresaptown at about 0720 and heard someone on UCALL. I was unable to figure out what they were saying but I did hear one voice on frequency. There were two separate transmissions about 2-3 seconds each with about a 2 minute pause in between. Now it was foggy and a little overcast so maybe it was skip. I picked it up on my 2-way and I am running the 156.7 CTCSS.

As for the WCSO and MSP-O I pick them up rather well in Cumberland on my BCT7 and a Radio Shack, Magmount, dual load, scanner antenna. I don't get everything but enough to make it interesting to hear.

Last edited:

nutter

spanner-

I am using a pro-2055 with stock antenna. plus what would be a good antenna to buy?

spanner

Premium Subscriber
There are lots of good mobile and base antennas.

In my Rodeo, I use a Radio Shack scanner antenna.

At my apartment, I use the same, mounted outside of my window.

Look at some of the sites endorsed by Radio Reference....

I am hearing MSP and WCSD right now looking for a wanted person from Va, that they let go to soon, cause VA will now come and get him.

Carl

nutter

is anyone getting a contuinous static on 39.34(MSP) i have never gotten that before

nutter

i live in the downville area and could anyone give me a idea to get my listing range extending.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As has been implied in other messages, getting an antenna outside and in the clear is going to be the way to go. Can you put something outdoors? The ScanTenna, Diamond Discone, NilJon and a few others have all been mentioned in the various forums and would probably work pretty well for you. Plus, since the 2055 is the mobile version of the PRO97, milair is also an option. Be more specific about your situation there. 73s Mike

md_p97

My experience with Washington County and MSP, is because they are on the Low Band, the only way to hear them reliably is to get an antenna cut as close as possible to the 39mhz freq. (I cut mine for 46 mhz, then 42 mhz and finally to 39mhz)

I have used the modified radio shack mag-mount (http://www.strongsignals.net/access/image/antennas/bearwires.gif)
and had very good success once I made the appropriate changes. (I used scrap metal rods from my sons old model rocket set to achieve the right diameter and length)

I have recently switched to the Austin Spectra, and am still cutting the top element down from the original length of 14" (Which I believe is best at 33mhz), down to 8".

I did have good sucess however, with radio shacks telesopic antenna ($16.00) fully extended while sitting in Frederick County.

Paul

spanner

Premium Subscriber
While we are on the Washington County subject....

Last night, MSP and WCSD worked an accident, with the possibility of a pursuit.....

I was on the Sharpsburg pike coming home from work and heard them say "switch to Tac 3"...

I have ALL of the MSP statewide freqs in my radio, and heard nothing in Washington County........

I did hear the dispatcher initiate the "10-3" on 39.34....

Anyone know what "Tac 3" is?

Carl

nutter

ka3jjz said:
As has been implied in other messages, getting an antenna outside and in the clear is going to be the way to go. Can you put something outdoors? The ScanTenna, Diamond Discone, NilJon and a few others have all been mentioned in the various forums and would probably work pretty well for you. Plus, since the 2055 is the mobile version of the PRO97, milair is also an option. Be more specific about your situation there. 73s Mike

ka3jjz...i would like to put something outside but i would like to keep it somewhat small. also is there any options for inside?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well the NilJon isn't all that big - even with the radial kit. The Diamond discone and Scantenna are somewhat larger in size, and probably easier to spot. How about the very inconspicious Grove Omni? Heck, we even have something on the Wiki to show you how to build your own - it's nothing more than an off center fed dipole. The folks that have built it seem quite pleased by its performance.

You can find links for both on the Scanner Antennas Wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Scanner_Antennas

Putting something indoors will probably reduce how much you hear, depending on the construction of your home/condo/ect. An attic is almost ideal, assuming you don't have siding, metal flashing, ect. However, you could easily put a ScanTenna in a good sized attic. And come to think of it, Diamond recently came out with a mini discone - meant for mounting on a vehicle (!!)

Gotta get ready for work...73s Mike

[edit] Looked at the link for the mini discone - it doesn't cover VHF lo, so that's out. However,the PAR MON-3 antenna supposedly works well there, even tho it's not tuned for it (at least according to the mini review Grove did). That too looks like it's relatively stelthy, so it might warrant more investigation.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
spanner said:
I was on the Sharpsburg pike coming home from work and heard them say "switch to Tac 3"...
I have ALL of the MSP statewide freqs in my radio, and heard nothing in Washington County........
I did hear the dispatcher initiate the "10-3" on 39.34....
Anyone know what "Tac 3" is?
I always wondered if they had a "hidden" channel. Now I'm REALLY curious....Well, without knowing what capabilities they have in their cruisers, I'd say it's almost gotta be low-band...

Whistler

MSP Retrofit

Recently MSP statewide has been retrofitting their cruisers. They have gotten new lightbars, Toughbook Laptops, Data Pucks on the Trunk, and got rid of their old 110 watts Motorola radios and are now using 60 watt Kenwoods. Supposedly they were having trouble getting parts for the Mots so they went with Kenwoods. (On a side note the Communications Excursion is full of Kenwoods.) I would have to agree with Gilligan that they must have a Low Band "Secret" channel. Cumberland uses 39.6200 (Headquarters) for the ...check out the women, Need a package from Sheetz, etc. But also a "Friend of Ours" has been researching Washington County Sheriff's Office and found two UHF repeaters that they are using. The best one he found is in Clear Spring and he believes there is one in Hagerstown too. Not sure if MSP wants to lower theirselves and use a County system at least at this end of the State. They can't wait to get Montgomery Counties leftovers.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Washington County Commissioners unanimously awarded a $19.3 million contract to Motorola on Tuesday to install a new public safety radio system.
The county says the system will significantly improve communication during emergencies.
The contract was well less than the original $26 million contract proposal, which Public Works Director Gary Rohrer credited to negotiations by a county committee
http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=140281&format=html

doctordave

Regarding that unidentified MSP "TAC-3" channel.....the FCC database shows 39.68 & 39.88 as licensed to the State of MD....or so it would appear. Might be worth plugging in, just in case they are used in some "tac" capacity. Also consider the old Balt Co PD freq 39.72....I think this may be an alternate to the 39.56 freq for patch into the Balt Co 800 system.....for all we know, it may be available to MSP units.

Interestingly, multiple additional freqs are shown as State of MD or MSP licensed via the database search of FCC records....including 39.12, 39.16 and others. Probably worth plugging in, as well, just in case they really are valid MSP freqs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.