Washington County

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the astro P25 info for Washington County? I know they have access to the MD 1st System and I can use the MD Astro ID for that system but I am programming My Harris XG100P and want the info.
Thanks
MCDoug

BM82557

Not sure this is what you are looking for but here it is anyway --

Network: BEE00.277 ; Washington County MD Simulcast

Bandplan #0: Base=851.00625 Offset=-45 Spacing=6.25 BW=12.5
Bandplan #1: Base=762.00625 Offset=+30 Spacing=6.25 BW=12.5
Bandplan #2: Base=452. Offset=+5 Spacing=6.25 BW=12.5

maus92

Premium Subscriber

That's what I have:

washco.PNG

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber

You know you guys are enabling him correct, all he has to do is look it up himself in the database.

And Motorcoach, I hope you meet the wrong system manager some day and he bricks that expensive scanner you have!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, a Unication pager works just as well as a subscriber, and avoids programming errors that could potentially cause issues with the system. And it’s more compact and cheaper.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Yes I know about the Unication Pager but since I travel between VA,WVA, MD, DC, PA, and Delaware I need a radio that will work on all those systems except Delaware smartzone system.
Dispatcher 308 I have been thru both the County's Citizens Police Academy and CERT Training as well. I used to be part of the counties Red Cross Disaster Response Team before I had to leave due to lower back issues and I used to work as a federal security officer before contractors took it over and there has been a scanner in my home since the mid 80's as well. Also I have done some radio programming for a few vol EMS officers in western NC with authorized to program in keys via KVL as well. I am no wacker and or beginner plus I am in the process to renew my CPR and my BLS Cert also so where did that remark come from???

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
All of that means nothing when you have an unauthorized radio on someone's trunked system. I have some of the same certs and more, but that doesn't mean I take my personal radio and place it on to someone's trunked system.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am not on anyone trunked system at all. I have my radio in NAS which you can do with a Harris XG100P. No way in heck would I do that as it could be a matter of life and death if that were to happen.. What gave you the idea that I was on a trunked system???? If you are a dispatcher for a city,county or state then thank you for your service and may you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
In June, Washington County awarded ACD Telecom a contract to evaluate its current radio system and recommend upgrades, enhancements and / or replacement of its current 400 MHz P25P1 system, and retirement of its VHF low fire paging system. The county wishes to continue its use of their 400 MHz band resources and utilize TDMA to increase talk paths. One interesting note is MIEMSS provides the microwave backhaul for their current system.

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming
In June, Washington County awarded ACD Telecom a contract to evaluate its current radio system and recommend upgrades, enhancements and / or replacement of its current 400 MHz P25P1 system, and retirement of its VHF low fire paging system. The county wishes to continue its use of their 400 MHz band resources and utilize TDMA to increase talk paths. One interesting note is MIEMSS provides the microwave backhaul for their current system.
Curiosity question, over the early part of this year I found Washington County doing paging on 155.79 in addition to 33.86. I was gone out west over the summer & upon return the 155.79 had disappeared. Anyone know what was being experimented with?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
155.79 is licensed to the City of Hagerstown and the control point is at their police department building, so I don't think the FTO is moving to this frequency.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
155.79 is licensed to the City of Hagerstown and the control point is at their police department building, so I don't think the FTO is moving to this frequency.

never say never, stranger things have happened, this is radio.

Radar I would keep listening and see what you find, I know the county is using digital paging on UHF but the low band might be phased out due to the nature of finding replacement parts. Washington and Baltimore are the last low band paging hold outs in the state, everyone else has moved or is moving to V/UHF.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it's possible, but the county desires a UHF paging solution according to an RFP they published earlier this year. The following was extracted from the RFP document which is too big to post:

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.49.38 AM.png

It also indicates that the county strongly desires to remain on UHF and transition to a Phase 2 system. But they did hire a consultant to recommend options.

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming
never say never, stranger things have happened, this is radio.

Radar I would keep listening and see what you find, I know the county is using digital paging on UHF but the low band might be phased out due to the nature of finding replacement parts. Washington and Baltimore are the last low band paging hold outs in the state, everyone else has moved or is moving to V/UHF.
Yea, I've been keeping an ear on it & the handful of other VHFs that either the county or thr city still have licensed. When 79 was broadcasting I figured it was a city transmitter site just due to my location being mobile alot. It still had pretty good broad coverage throughout most of Washington & a good bit of out of county (Berkeley Springs, up into PA west & east). The only issue I noticed was that PG uses that for tones only but Hagerstown had a PL on so problem solved there. It was nice while it lasted, we'll see what happens.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it's possible, but the county desires a UHF paging solution according to an RFP they published earlier this year. The following was extracted from the RFP document which is too big to post:

View attachment 127529

It also indicates that the county strongly desires to remain on UHF and transition to a Phase 2 system. But they did hire a consultant to recommend options.

Wonder if that’s why they choose UHF, after testing VHF And finding PG on it, it’s hard to place a PL tone on pagers.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
IDK, but the UHF mention was in their RFP that was published on May 2, but who knows what their consultant will recommend - or what testing revealed. One advantage in going with UHF is they could buy the volunteers a bunch of G2 pagers that can also monitor all their talk groups with one device, or G3s that could monitor UHF and VHF. Good for situational awareness

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Since their current P25 system is UHF, makes sense to keep paging on the same band. Makes writing in building coverage requirements for commercial buildings easy. With a UHF BDA, they get both P25 and paging coverage.
With a combiner modification, they can potentially use existing UHF antennas already in place.
The noise floor on UHF would be much more manageable than VHF.
Those would be my three main guesses for wanting to do UHF paging.