Washington DC's lost transmitter / proof the FCC doesn't monitor the airwaves very diligently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
That is a good read and shows just how badly the FCC has gotten...
I think I would blame the people for turning on for not turning it off. A low power transmitter too far from the nearest FCC listening post with no complaints is not going to get any attention. I know several local radio operations with expired licenses but again, the FCC does not go around to check it they actually shut down--no one is going to pay the budget for doing that.

n5ims

I doubt that the FCC would care unless the license had expired and it's quite possible that with all of the events that happen in DC, this may be an unlimited (or long duration) license that can be used for various events. Checking the license listed in the OP's link, this station's license is valid until 12/23/2021 so there's not much for the FCC to worry about on that station.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
That is a good read and shows just how badly the FCC has gotten...

Actually the FCC did not drop the ball on this one.

The transmitter was still licensed and broadcasting the type of program that it was licensed for.
The FCC does not supervise the timeliness of program content, just that the transmitter is operating within spec and is still licensed.

The people who dropped the ball here are the DC Highway Department.

David628

Premium Subscriber
When the campaign crew sets up an auto payment via a credit card/bank account to pay for a limited service and pays, and pays, and...pays for a service on "auto payment" and no one remembers to cancel it... j/k...lol Thanks for sharing this.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
In Washington DC, I would expect that the DHS/FCC would monitor the airwaves for anomalies, threats, or potential threats via the radio spectrum. A radio transmitter broadcasting something such as this should stick out as an anomalous signal that deserves some level of attention.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
In Washington DC, I would expect that the DHS/FCC would monitor the airwaves for anomalies, threats, or potential threats via the radio spectrum. A radio transmitter broadcasting something such as this should stick out as an anomalous signal that deserves some level of attention.
The transmitter was still licensed and broadcasting the type of program that it was licensed for.
The FCC does not supervise the timeliness of program content, just that the transmitter is operating within spec and is still licensed.

Boombox

I am sure if I lived in DC and heard it, I would just tune past it to the next stop on the AM band. The TIS's I've heard that were the most interesting were the NOAA repeaters off the Oregon Coast, which sometimes make their way up to my region of the PNW. Most other ones are just boring tape loops. I can only imagine how dull that is to the average listener, regardless of the tape loop being played.

Who really pays attention to TIS's, anyway? Nobody? Maybe just MW DXers? And if you hear one that seems off-kilter, who's really going to report it?

I've heard jittery, sped up speech noises on a local TIS for the past couple weeks, and I'm not about to go through the effort to search out the exact website try to inform whatever municipality that their computer-operated TIS is glitching and sounds like a little girl stuttering on helium. And if I, a radio aficionado, am not about to do such, why would the average listener? And the FCC is looking for pirates, and dealing with other matters. TIS's are probably very, very low on their enforcement totem pole.

It's interesting that the department responsible for the TIS in the article didn't bother to check it, but maybe -- like the article suggests -- they have a bunch of them out there and just forgot about it. I doubt most municipal or highway personnel are all that aware of them.

The coolest thing about this article, of course, is that someone actually wrote about the station. A bit of 2013 history, like a time warp, still broadcasting in 2021. It's too bad they took it off the air.

ecps92

And the FCC doesn't just spend time scanning the bands.
A Complaint would need to be filed. Sounds like none ever was.
Actually the FCC did not drop the ball on this one.

The people who dropped the ball here are the DC Highway Department.

ecps92

As pointed out.....
Legally Licensed - not an issue
Lets on 24/7 - so what
Did anyone file an official complaint, to begin the FCC investigation process ?, Sounds like NOPE

Then not an FCC issue

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The FCC is too busy with 5G and internet to pay attention to what used to be their main concerns - real radio such as AM, FM, TV, and ham radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.