Washington Gas & Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Two things.

I imported WG&L from RRdb to my radio and am in Montgomery County, MD and can barely get a control channel. Is this a problem for most?

Also, I noticed a bunch of conventional freqs that are in 400mhz and 800mhz under the FCC licensed section but they don't appear in the db that I can import.

Where should I look?

thanks,

jay

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Two things.

I imported WG&L from RRdb to my radio and am in Montgomery County, MD and can barely get a control channel. Is this a problem for most?
jay

Clarification:

* I am what I consider to be in the coverage area for WG&L TRS and am getting poor sporadic control channel percentages jumping around majority of which is less than 35%.

* I'm using a PRO-106

Also, I see on Washington Gas vehicles 800mhz/900mhz antennas as well as what looks like a multi-band whip. I assume they use these for telemetry wireless monitoring that they have mounted everywhere on traffic signal poles and in neighborhoods some hung upside down piggy backing on street lights.

Also wondering if anyone knows what type of telemetry they use or is it proprietary (I assume it is).

j

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Rockville area and I receive the WGL 900 MHz trunked system with five bars showing, strong signal. I have only Wildcard programmed, no actual talkgroups programmed.

What you see on street lights is the remains of the old Ricochet system that operated in the 928 MHz band. http://www.bwianews.com/2008/03/ricochets-corps.html

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Rockville area and I receive the WGL 900 MHz trunked system with five bars showing, strong signal. I have only Wildcard programmed, no actual talkgroups programmed.

What you see on street lights is the remains of the old Ricochet system that operated in the 928 MHz band. Broadband Wireless Internet Access (BWIA) / WiMAX News: Ricochet's Corpse Finally Stops Twitching

Their main TRS site is in Rockville so I would expect you get great reception. I must be in a dead spot.
Yeah I remember Ricochet's antennas. The ones I'm talking about are like every few blocks and they have a similar antenna to the ones that are mounted on those green housing units that are used by WG&L but could be a coincidence. I was able to get some hits on the Dispatch TG's which were Analog Voice but it was very dicey and locking on the control channel was difficult. I'm near National Navy Medical Center in Maryland.

I'll take a picture some time and post it.

I did some searching on FCC's website and came up with 930mhz area SCADA (PSK) monitoring devices and for automated meter reading.
I do see them using 900MHz point-to-point yagi antennas for monitoring as well as hundreds of point-to-point microwave links with massive bandwidth... Is this used as a backbone for someone else besides WG&L cause that is a lot of bandwidth. I also know Baltimore Gas uses microwave links as well (one of them was on a mountain).

One of them was an Itron, Inc. DCU --
-- Data Collection Unit ("DCU") mounted in a vehicle to collect and store data transmitted by meter modules as the vehicle passes module-equipped meters. The DCU receives information transmitted by multiple meter modules simultaneously...
The Company's radio meter modules transmit information back to either the Company's handheld, mobile or fixed network AMR reading devices in the 910-920 MHz band pursuant to these rules..

The Company designs, develops, manufactures, markets, sells, installs and services hardware, software and integrated systems for handheld computer-based electronic meter reading ("EMR") and automatic meter reading ("AMR") systems.

They also can hook them up to below ground monitors which I think is what those antennas I'm seeing. The wires would run from below ground meters (on the main gas lines) to the transmitters above ground which are all linked in.

I'm not sure if the antennas I'm seeing for sure are old Ricochet but I know that WG&L uses 900mhz monitoring that can be activated on command from their trucks or control stations..

j

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.