Washington state troopers complain about radio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Again, only certain WSP posts made the switch to digital on their standard repeater pairs and they are now back to using analog.

WSP Vancouver is still digital.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I have talked to a few CVE guys and they don't like the new system at all. Loss of range and sounds like they are under water.

SCPD

QRT
Positive comment

I will say one thing that's good, from all I read.
They are staying on VHF.
With the hills and mountains in Washington, going up to 800 would be a dumb move.
I'm thinking, from all I read, this is fixable.

Maybe someone don't know how to program.
Maybe they should be putting 5/8th in the middle of the roof, instead of 1/4 waves on the trunk lid.
A good question may be how long has the feedlines been up?
Are they just swapping out repeaters into the same base coax and antennas?
Any ham will tell you that they swap out their feedline every ten years or so, otherwise the feedline will leak rf like a sprinkler hose.
And has the same corroded antenna been up there since they went VHF?

Same with the mobiles?
Is the same antenna and coax been moved from vehicle to vehicle 10 times in the last 20 years?
Has the constantly tugged on the coax during installs got it all kinked up?

I think a good systems engineer could fix this. I don't think the mode is the issue.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
It gets worse...

Most mobiles (x9000m Orion, Spectra) were 100w...

The newer mobiles are 50W..
Try 25W. They were ordered and spec'd with the intention of being used on IWN. On a multi-site trunk system low power and unity-gain antennas are preferred for proper site voting.

Also, the analog channels (as of May 2013) are still wideband.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I will say one thing that's good, from all I read.
They are staying on VHF.
With the hills and mountains in Washington, going up to 800 would be a dumb move.
I'm thinking, from all I read, this is fixable.

Maybe someone don't know how to program.
Maybe they should be putting 5/8th in the middle of the roof, instead of 1/4 waves on the trunk lid.

The majority of the units have the VHF on the roof, PC Tel 1/4 wave with the spring.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
No trunking - yet. The plan (as I understand it) was to have the various WSP posts convert from analog to digital on the current repeater pairs. New P25 capable repeaters, mobiles, and portables were installed/distributed to accommodate that change.

There was discussion about enhancing the IWIN system backbone and using specific sites for trunking (for Puget Sound as an example). No move has been made to that system yet.

Again, only certain WSP posts made the switch to digital on their standard repeater pairs and they are now back to using analog.

But what would be so wrong with impementing a P-25 trunked radio system across the whole state? Many states do that like the StarCom and the MPSCS. I even heard it through the grapevine that Oregon and Arizona are working on making statewide P-25 systems.

3King

Premium Subscriber
wsp p25

this makes me wonder if there may be consideration in to switching back to analog..i hear on my digital scanner on wsp car to car that the officers dont care for the p25 system in fact wsp was running a smokey unit in a sting by my place and i heard the smokey unit ask the ground troopers if they could switch to analog because the radio was nothin but static..he could still hear but static was not helping his cause any.

this makes me wonder if there may be consideration in to switching back to analog..i hear on my digital scanner on wsp car to car that the officers dont care for the p25 system in fact wsp was running a smokey unit in a sting by my place and i heard the smokey unit ask the ground troopers if they could switch to analog because the radio was nothin but static..he could still hear but static was not helping his cause any.

Confused by this post, since P25 nor any digital radio has "static". It either works or it doesn't, no in between.

But what would be so wrong with impementing a P-25 trunked radio system across the whole state? Many states do that like the StarCom and the MPSCS. I even heard it through the grapevine that Oregon and Arizona are working on making statewide P-25 systems.

As well as Montana, they are almost fully trunked aside from the southeast corner of the state. Many, conventional/ analog cities, will be switching to it. As small towns can't afford (nor are needed) their own infrastructure.

3King

Premium Subscriber
wsp here in my county and the county north of me and the county south of me they are Always having trouble with static and signal reception the radios do still work.i was just wondering.

wsp here in my county and the county north of me and the county south of me they are Always having trouble with static and signal reception the radios do still work.i was just wondering.

Are you referring to the areas that have already switched to P25 or are your areas still analog. If they are analog and have static then there is no way P25 is going to fix that LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.