Washington state troopers complain about radio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
After reading I confirmed that 40 mil sounded funny for a statewide digital system...except for rhode island

This is an interesting article. It completely make sense, to me at least. The main problem I came to the conclusion of is that, most likely not doing any kind of strength or field testing. What that resulted in is, when the analog system would have been staticy (but still understandable), the P25 system is either all or none. Basically, where analog static was possibly, is where P25 wont work. Now to fix that, it is not to completely build new towers, but rather go out and field test, and, if an area has too much overlap (from 2 towers) then move one it out a little. I know some of you will freak out on me, however I can't hold Motorola completely liable for this. I am more then sure the State Patrol has a testing period presented to them, in which case they should have address there concerns, in addition to questioning the existing site locations during the meetings with Motorola. Motorola does not work on the streets, or know if 1 particular part of town (was staticy) or if the analog radios didn't work at all in parts of the town, the State Patrol or (state representative) should have brought that up and inquired to Moto about the existing issues, and should NOT have been so naive and ignorant to think that a simple button press to switch to digital would have fixed bad reception with out any other addition solutions.

SCPD

QRT
Where for art thou?

So I took a look at the Washington database.
Unless I missed it, I don't see a new trunking system listed there?
Is this so new it's not in the database yet?
Before I start my favorite rant, I'd like to know what band of frequencies they are now on.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber

RBMTS

I don't see a new trunking system listed there?
Is this so new it's not in the database yet?

No trunking - yet. The plan (as I understand it) was to have the various WSP posts convert from analog to digital on the current repeater pairs. New P25 capable repeaters, mobiles, and portables were installed/distributed to accommodate that change.

There was discussion about enhancing the IWIN system backbone and using specific sites for trunking (for Puget Sound as an example). No move has been made to that system yet.

Again, only certain WSP posts made the switch to digital on their standard repeater pairs and they are now back to using analog.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least they didn't try and spend $650 million on a conventional statewide digital system with no oversight whatsoever like we did! :p

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
^^ I was wondering why I have a few Astro Spectra's labeled Washington State Patrol circa 2000

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they should have just switched to NFM, as the digital will perform worse than the previous analog.
The may be upset at the 40M, but they will most likely end up doubling the number of towers they have.They may spend 2X or 4X the cost of what they have. Mountains and gorges will be challenging. They should talk to the cellphone companies to see the challenges they have had to overcome in the state

PACNWDude

As of February 2014, I have noticed a large amount of WASP traffic still analog in the 140 MHz band. Listen to them with a Vertex VX-3200 scanning around 140-143.750 MHz every morning.

Local vendor was installing digital capable radios into a Ford Expedition police vehicle a few weeks ago. But the install technician told me it was still operating analog only.

jparks29

John McClane
It gets worse...

Most mobiles (x9000m Orion, Spectra) were 100w...

The newer mobiles are 50W..

I've also seen quite a few antennas installed on the rear quarter panel that haven't been adjusted for angle.... so the trunk looks like this.. \____/ instead of |___| .... Nice way to send your signal into the ground, and over the mountains....

snapple4th

Maybe they should have just switched to NFM, as the digital will perform worse than the previous analog.
The may be upset at the 40M, but they will most likely end up doubling the number of towers they have.They may spend 2X or 4X the cost of what they have. Mountains and gorges will be challenging. They should talk to the cellphone companies to see the challenges they have had to overcome in the state

I am confused as to this remark. In most technical explanations I have ever read I am under the impression that P25 digital will out perform narrowband analog and in some cases recover much of what is lost due to narrowbanding and compression.

I found this article to be pretty well written. How to predict narrowbanding's affect on system coverage - Urgent Communications article | Wireless Networks content from Urgent Communications

PACNWDude

I see those vehicles with antennas like that as well \___/. They kept pulling me over, asking me who installed my antennas, thinking I was a local cop. I drive a Pontiac that looks like the Impalas many PD's bought around here.

Since then, I switched to Laird phantom antennas for UHF and NMO Motorola "whickser" for VHF. It does amaze me how much is still analog in WA State.

The company I work for provides comms on land and sea, and it is common for people to buy very high gain antennas for their boats thinking they work better. On smaller boats, this means they radiate into the sky and water as they bob around too.

Edmonds WA PD/Fire had this problem with their boat for a while too.

PACNWDude

My miss spelling of "whisker". If you search for Motorola 1/4 wave mobile antenna, it will show many examples of a "whisker" antenna. Usually 1/4 wave and wire whip. Also known as "coat hanger" antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.