Washtenaw County 800MHz Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Here is some of what was disscussed at the last meetings:

800MHz Sub-Committee

The proposal moved forward to the Board of Commissioners workgroup session, which approved putting the proposal through to the Board of Commissioners for the November election. Chief Oates advised that he supported this proposal and that we should move forward with it. Without the support of everyone this proposal is likely to fail. The Fire Department Sub-Committee is in the process of creating a multimedia presentation for Chief’s to bring forward to their City/Twp/Village heads, in order to get their support of this proposal.

President Yurkunas reviewed events concerning the 800mhz plan, including the usual timing and political problems that arise when several governmental groups are involved. The plan is to be presented to the Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners at a working session on May 6th, with a request that they act on it at their May 19th meeting. A strong showing of Police and Fire officials, in uniform, is requested.

County Administrator Gunzel has stated that a unity and support must be shown among the Police, Fire, and Ambulance groups in the County. Towards that end President Yurkunas drafted a letter stating unanimous support of the final version of the plan by the WAMAA Chiefs. After several minor word changes Roberts moved and Yates seconded that the letter be accepted as amended, and that each Chief in the Association sign it. The motion passed. Chiefs not present at the meeting will be contacted personally to get their signatures.

This is for the MPSCS 800MHz System, as far as I know everyone in the county is game. Police, Fire, and EMS are planning the switch if approved by the board and is put on THIS NOVEMBER'S Ballot. If you live in Washtenaw County I want to encourage you to vote YES on the proposal. From what I understand it will raise our phone bill by a few dollars(no biggie to me since I know what it is going for) and then finally for the first time in years, Washtenaw County Agencies will be not only be able to communicate with each other but also with anyone in the state, including ones that are not on the MPSCS system. From further understanding, 4 additional towers will be built here in the county, right now we have 1 which is in Scio Township(Ann Arbor tower 207) So I just wanted to encourage anyone in Washtenaw County to vote yes for this system(oh yeah, as you can see all Agencies are really looking forward to this switch over! the only one that is not going to switch is Ann Arbor City Fire Department-they will go to the UofM Public Safety System)

Thanks!

[/b]

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Why is all that money being spent, yet the largest (I assume?) FD in the county is not doing it?

- Rob

ka2tsv

As a resident of Milan, a border area that is in both Monroe and Washtenaw counties, I hope that with the proposed additions to the MPSCS we aren't left out in the cold again the way we were on the Monroe county addition.

As a member of the FD here I sure hope they put one of the towers in this neck of the woods. If they do it sure has my absolute support, otherwise VHF is fine for me.

I think that getting a good system together is an admirable goal, and I say hats off to the guys that do a mostly thankless job of trying to pull this whole thing together.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
"Why is all that money being spent, yet the largest (I assume?) FD in the county is not doing it?"

Because the current Analog 800MHz system has HORRIBLE coverage. Manchester is a prime example. Chelsea Police switched back to their VHF last year because of coverage issues and WCC has switched to their own system.So the the answer is the system cannot be updated anymore it has reached its end. So everyone including Wash Fire has decided to switch to MPSCS

Ann Arbor City Fire is the largest, but they were worried about in building coverage. The UofM system provided them with the in building coverage that they were looking for, and the MPSCS did not, so that is why they are switching. And who know exactly, they may end up switching with the rest of the county.

Towers.....
Thunderbolt can probably answer this one better, but I know they are looking to put on somewhere near Augusta Township, and remember that the Monroe County System soon to come on line will have additional towers near the border too(I believe somewhere in Sumpter Twp??)

ka2tsv

Monroe County will be bringing on towers in Newport (just south of Flat Rock), Monroe City near the county lockup, and Whiteford Twp (down near Ohio.

Unfortunately the closest tower to Milan is still going to be the existing Dundee tower that doesn't cover worth a hoot in the bungling metropolis of Milan.

Augusta Twp. would be great for here, so I've got my fingers crossed! (won't hold my breath yet though LOL!) In spite of what some of the critics say, going to the MPSCS and bringing on additional towers makes the most sense. The big money for system administrtation has already been spent by the state, and they maintain it a heck of alot better than any private vendor ever would. Sure for us talking from Milan to the U.P. is somewhat useless, but, talking to the departments in adjoining counties that we DO work with is important. That is a huge benifit, along with being able to communicate with our own station while we are deployed on mutual aid outside the poor coverage area of our current VHF system.

If it is implemented properly the upsides for us, in my opinion, far outweigh the negatives.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
erchambers said:
"Towers.....
Thunderbolt can probably answer this one better, but I know they are looking to put on somewhere near Augusta Township, and remember that the Monroe County System soon to come on line will have additional towers near the border too(I believe somewhere in Sumpter Twp??)

As I understand it, the plan is to add towers in the following areas in Washtenaw County:

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester

3. Superior Twp. (existing tower)

4. Augusta Twp.

5. Salem/Northfield Twp.

6. Baker Road & Jackson Ave. (existing tower)

As for Monroe County, the plan is to implement three towers and upgrade an existing tower located in Dundee.

1. Newport, probably near Fermi II.

2. Monroe City

3. Whiteford Twp.

4. Dundee (existing tower).

What Monroe County means by "upgrading an existing tower" is a mystery to me. Hopefully, they will either add-on more sections or build a new one that will be much taller; thus, increasing its overall range.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.