Washtenaw County Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

i5adam8

I recently read an article in the Ann Arbor News online section that was about police cuts to the Ypsi Township division of the Sheriff's department. In the article,it stated that their were aprox. 13 deputies that currently are assigned to county wide road patrol division. I was under the Impression that Washtenaw county did not have any units assigned to out county patrols,and that each individual township had a contract with the department and that those who did not contract were serviced by the State Police only...Can anyone verify if this is correct?

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
I recently read an article in the Ann Arbor News online section that was about police cuts to the Ypsi Township division of the Sheriff's department. In the article,it stated that their were aprox. 13 deputies that currently are assigned to county wide road patrol division. I was under the Impression that Washtenaw county did not have any units assigned to out county patrols,and that each individual township had a contract with the department and that those who did not contract were serviced by the State Police only...Can anyone verify if this is correct?

There are several Townships within the County that are patrolled by the WCSO. The deputies that the article were referring are the cuts that were just recently made. Ypsilanti Twp goes from 28 to 21 deputies. They were able to make cuts that only involved 7 officers(I might have a couple of the number off-going off the top of my head). Those officers will not lose their jobs as they will be re-assigned to the Jail and other places.

Already Ypsi Twp is feeling the cut. There are so many Home Invasions that it is not funny. In my neighborhood we are feeling the heat big time. Several of my neighbors have been broken into and much stuff stolen. Ypsilanti Township use to be a great place to live, but because of the lack of leadership at the Township level and the County the residents are going to feel the hurt. County and Township officials need to get their heads out of the butts and start looking out for the residents. Unfortunately that is not going to happen for quite some time. It's sad....very sad...

The Township that are patrolled by the WCSO are:

Superior Township
Ypsilanti Township
Salem Township
Ann Arbor Township
Scio Township
Dexter Township

I believe there might be a couple more, but MSP services the other townships to include Augusta Township(because they decided that the WCSO was too expensive.Which it is)

Hope that helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.