Water Landing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
May 15 2005. This aircraft skidded off the end of the runway while landing in Bader Field - Atlantic City, New Jersey USA. All survived. The pilot attempted to land on a wet short runway at an airport which usually does not accept jets with a 10-knot tailwind.

pathalogical

In the first 5 secs, does the guy say "Wait'll you see this." ? How did he know something was gonna happen ? Is he an airport worker or just a plane spotter ?

rdale

No idea - I'm just posting the info from that link that people seem to have missed. It happened 4 years ago, so I'm sure more info is available on NTSB or news sites.

rdale

My guess is they tried to go around partway down the runway, then realized it wasn't going to work.

Jay911

NTSB has a full report on the situation. Only the factual makes any reference to the throttle quadrant which states that the right lever was bent past the idle stop. My first thought was that someone stepped on the throttles trying to escape thru the ****pit windows but there's no indication they were used on the video.

And yeah, the plane needed 3000 feet to land in normal conditions, much more in a tailwind, and the runway was only ~2900 - not to mention the fact that the plane touched down some 1100 feet past the threshold - plus the charts, found in ready view of the pilot after the crash, stated that the airport could not accept jet traffic in any case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.