Water Rescue In Progress - Rappahannock River

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
Stafford and Spotsylvania units have been working to find and rescue an unconscious patient on the Rappahannock River. The patient has been located and is currently in a semi-conscious state, possibly due to heat exhaustion. Attempts are being made to remove the victim from a remote section of the river. A Park Police helicopter is in the area, but the terrain is not friendly to dropping a basket down. Fire units on scene have been asked by the pilot to move the victim to a new location at least twice so far. Communications up till now between the pilot and units on the river have been through dispatchers.

UPDATE - Park Police unable to lift the patient. Maryland State Police helicopter is now being called in. Communications on Stafford feeds and Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania feed.

fredva

Feed Provider
Very difficult rescue. MSP unable to assist with a helicopter pick-up. At least one of the rescuers has reportedly exhibited signs of heat exhaustion after traveling through brush to reach the river. ALS providers attempting to get down to the patient to start an IV. ATVs have been brought in to assist. A companion of the patient is being walked out on the Spotsylvania side.

fredva

Feed Provider
Now hearing that Maryland State Police Trooper 7 helicopter is enroute with a 15 minute ETA. Preferred option is have the helicopter lift the patient out, with the backup plan to paddle downstream with the patient (around rocks) as the helicopter lights up the river.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have been listening to MSP Operations/Syscom on 7 Air 60 here in Maryland. Seems that MSP Trooper 7 doesn't have Stafford in their radio and they are going to use 8Call90 Direct to communicate.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Okay, I was just getting ready to ask you.. I had dozed off.. quite a day for him. Thanks..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

QDP2012

From Charlottesville, on a handheld scanner, I heard Trooper 7 call to "any station" in Stafford on 8Call90, and then change to 8Tac92. I wondered what assignment they were on. Thanks for the details.

fredva

Feed Provider
There were definitely some communication challenges. A deputy on scene had a radio which allowed him or her to communicate directly with the Maryland chopper, but I don't think Fire-Rescue had a direct link.

Status
Not open for further replies.