Water Spout off Orange Beach 7/30

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Always an awesome sight AS LONG as they stay over the Gulf and do not affect boat traffic. Marine Police had a bunch of calls about it, but it dissipated as it moved generally eastward toward Florida waters. Roughly 1200 feet high to the cloud deck and impressive. There was a smaller one roughly a week ago in the same location - off Perdido Pass. Sure don't need any F-0 tornadoes making landfall, so glad that it stayed out over the Gulf !

Anyone monitoring OBPD at that time earlier this morning?

trace1

Just went through a Storm Spotters class here in Calhoun county last weekend, it was given by Brian Peters of ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, being a member in both the ARES and RACES I thoroughly enjoyed it. We briefly covered Water Spouts, not to many around here, and I have seen them on the news and such and you’re right glad it didn’t make landfall.

Funny thing about the day of our class though, it came up some significant weather alerts only hours after the class...

Now talk about a live demonstration. ;)

red8

Hey Trace 1
I have heard Brian Peters, HBO did a documentary a good while
back about numerous tornados striking the Birmingham area. Brian
did an outstanding job being calm and relaying the info to the people
in that area. Infact whenever I am in the Birmingham, Talladega
area, I tune in to him on ABC 33/40. Another person that I happen
like watching before heading up that way is Jim Cantorie on the Weather Channel. We do not get Brian down In South Louisiana
but I do make it apoint watch his weather forecasts whenever I am
up in that part of Alabama
red8

trace1

James Spann, the Chief Meteorologist on ABC 33/40, is really outstanding and knowledgeable. When severe weather threatens, that’s who I watch as a matter of fact the whole weather team on ABC 33/40 do a great job. Now I like Jim Cantorie also and you can bet when there is a hurricane he’ll be in the middle of it.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
For our neighbors around here in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores and Foley - the hurricane in the area of Cuba today will most likely get into the Gulf in a couple of days and start north. Just be vigilent even though the track is most likely going to be east of us. We can still see high surf advisories, lowland flooding ( especially around West Beach Blvd near Lagoon Ave) and some sand errosion as it usually does with high surf. There may also be rip current formation sometime during the middle of this coming week. Watch your local TV weather for info.

Orange Beach PD and Gulf Shores PD may also make mention of beach issues this coming week on the repeaters. If y'all are going to the beach - watch for the signs about conditions, keep toddlers away from the surf line and keep your scanner on...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.