Waterford CT P25 on BCD352P2

fireman_bob

Hi, I've been trying to hear Waterford CT on my BCD352P2. I have the system set as "P25 Standard (Digital XT)" on Freescan and the TG's and control channels from the database were copy/pasted. I have yet to be able to hear any Waterford communications. Anything I should do differently? I get full signal strength on the meter.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It is very likely something with your programming. I don't use Freescan but posting the file may allow someone to take a look. I would suggest you try ID SEARCH rather than ID SCAN until you can figure out the programming issue. You can also try creating a new system with just the Control channel programmed in and use ID SEARCH. It should allow you to hear traffic.

chris

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Where are you trying to monitor the system from?

I have never had an issue monitoring Wtfd's system with the 996XT/396XT or 996P2, either in my home or in my truck. I have had severe problems monitoring CLMRN with the 996P2, but Wtfd is Phase I and has very few monitoring deadspots in Waterford, New London, East Lyme, Montville, Groton, up past Norwich and well into Middlesex County.

Can you share how you're programming it?

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
All channels listed for Waterford are control channels as they can change. There should be no problem with simulcast as it’s a phase 1 system. All the TGIDs are very accurate , it is pro a problem with your programming. I too have a 325p2 and used freescan to program with no problems. If you are still stuck shoot me a PM and I maybe able to help you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There should be no problem with simulcast as it’s a phase 1 system.
Simulcast distortion can affect both Phase 1 and Phase 2 systems, but Phase 2 is usually more critical. The Baltimore and Harford County MD systems in my area are both Phase 1 and neither can be received at my location using any scanner other than a SDS100 or SDS200 or by using a Unication G4 or G5 pager. I have tried just about every one. My BCD325P2 is useless on both systems. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. The BCD325P2 may work fine at fireman bob's location. That is why I wanted to see the file to eliminate a programming problem.

Reactions: wtp

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Simulcast distortion can affect both Phase 1 and Phase 2 systems, but Phase 2 is usually more critical. The Baltimore and Harford County MD systems in my area are both Phase 1 and neither can be received at my location using any scanner other than a SDS100 or SDS200 or by using a Unication G4 or G5 pager. I have tried just about every one. My BCD325P2 is useless on both systems. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. The BCD325P2 may work fine at fireman bob's location. That is why I wanted to see the file to eliminate a programming problem.
I know of no one up here who has had any issue with Simulcast Distortion with the Waterford / New London system, from the Uniden BC-780XLT through the 996XT/396XT, 536/436 and 996P2, along with the Home Patrols. Obviously the SDS100/200 have no issues.

CLMRN's Phase II however is known to have distortion issues with the 996P2, 536/436 and Home Patrols. Some people have had success with the 996P2, I went through half-a-dozen, none works for me on the state system.

The Unication G4/G5 work flawless with the Wtfd/NL and CLMRN.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I know of no one up here who has had any issue with Simulcast Distortion with the Waterford / New London system, from the Uniden BC-780XLT through the 996XT/396XT, 536/436 and 996P2, along with the Home Patrols. Obviously the SDS100/200 have no issues.
I sincerely hope that is the case here too. I wish fireman_bob would attach his FreeSCAN programming file so we can check it for errors. I hope it is a programming issue.

fireman_bob

Thanks all that responded. I thought I had posted my solution, but apparently not. I was able to start hearing everything OK when I deleted the system, then recreated the system using Phase I as the starting point. I guess I originally created it using Phase II then switched it to phase I in Freescan, but apparently that doesn't work very well. All is good now.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is no problem using FreeSCAN to program a P25 system. The system and site types should both be P25 Standard (Digital XT). There is no such thing as programming it as Phase 1 or Phase 2. P25 Standard covers both. Motorola Type I and Type II systems are not P25.

Last edited:

seagravebuff60

Office Assistant
Feed Provider
Thanks all that responded. I thought I had posted my solution, but apparently not. I was able to start hearing everything OK when I deleted the system, then recreated the system using Phase I as the starting point. I guess I originally created it using Phase II then switched it to phase I in Freescan, but apparently that doesn't work very well. All is good now.
If you want an alternative to Freescan, try Proscan. It is, in my opinion, better software with many features. ProScan