Waterloo - OP25 P2 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabate

Premium Subscriber
All,

What's everyone using to listen to Waterloo's new system? I'm a long time scanner listener and currently own BCT15s, BCD996, BCD396 as well as use SDR (Unitrunker) when needed. I have OP25 running on a Raspberry Pi but I find the interface cumbersome and not ideal. Maybe I need to spend more time with it.
Regardless, was thinking I want a new portable solution. I'm leaning towards the BCD436 over the BCD325 but was curious what other people use. SDS100 is probably overkill for what I need. I figure I'll have to bite the bullet at some point as I believe the FleetNet system will be moving to OP25 in the next couple of years.

Also, whenever I listen to the control channel, it always seems a lot weaker to me than their prior system - does anyone have issues picking up the signal throughout the region? I could pick up the prior system in my basement on a portable but now I need to use my antennas on the upper floors of my house.

Thanks,
J

Muxlow

Super Secret
I liked my 325P2 over the 436. I sold off my 436 after a few months.. didnt like it much but loved the 325. Super small,BNC connector for the antenna rather then SMA the 436 uses, had a good audio, simple to use and the speaker was quite loud for what that little thing is.

Both will decode the same stuff so more or less comes down to price.

gary123

I have used a BCD536 for the system. Even thought LE is encrypted, the unit worked very well on Fire and other users. Using Discovery Mode it captured new TG as they showed up. The unit even worked well on Metrolinx, although it was located very close to the Metorlinx tower so simulcast issues did not occur.

OP25 is a nice program but for simple plug and play monitoring you cannot beat a scanner sitting on the desk.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps someone local has one and can attest to it's performance in the area better, but if you are wanting something dedicated to monitoring the Waterloo P25 system, the Unication G4 might be a good option.

I've been using one for several months now on Toronto's system and love it - performance is fantastic overall. Price is a little up there but battery life, Bluetooth, and overall quality are good winners in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.