Waterloo Region New Control Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

69stiles

Just to keep things going on the changes to the Region's trunk system, have any of you that monitor tower activity noticed any improvements with the testing of different control channels? I live in an area close to a tower but is not used by KFD very much if not at all. Coverage would be up & down depending on the frequencies a voice channel landed on. LCN's 7, 8, & 9 would be crystal clear & 10, 11, & 15 would be very weak. Since they have been using LCN #7 (868.6250) all communications have been great. I hope they keep this one.

Lexxx

69stiles

I have 868.6250 loaded in the EDACS system as number 7. The whole system seems crystal clear to me as heard through my broadcast through RadioReference

I don't know if testing is done with, but I have not had any scanner lock ups that I had before, and I think you mentioned a few months ago too.

Whole system seems fine to me.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Just to keep things going on the changes to the Region's trunk system, have any of you that monitor tower activity noticed any improvements with the testing of different control channels? I live in an area close to a tower but is not used by KFD very much if not at all. Coverage would be up & down depending on the frequencies a voice channel landed on. LCN's 7, 8, & 9 would be crystal clear & 10, 11, & 15 would be very weak. Since they have been using LCN #7 (868.6250) all communications have been great. I hope they keep this one.

Did you happen to notice if KFD is still using LCN 10 -16? Last I knew only LCN 1 - 9 are broadcasted on all 5 towers where LCN 10 -16 are only on 3 of the 5 towers. All the PD and Rural FD talkgroups use LCN 1- 9 (All towers) and all the other users used LCN 10 - 16. Possibly as part of the upgrades they added the additional 6 channels to the remaining towers which I can only assume would be Baden and Cross Hill.

69stiles

Today I've heard KFD using LCN's 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, & 13. 10 & 11 were alway very weak for me in the past but now are very clear. Can a different control channel make the difference?

Kibble

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396T and a BC790. The 396T has been up and down like a yo-yo over the last three weeks yet the other is working fine. Can that be due to control channel changes ??

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Today I've heard KFD using LCN's 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, & 13. 10 & 11 were alway very weak for me in the past but now are very clear. Can a different control channel make the difference?

If you are hearing CFD, KFD and WFD west of say Baden now then they must have added the additional channels to the remaining towers.

What about GRT and Cambridge public works? You hearing them ok out there in the sticks?

Kibble

Premium Subscriber
the"sticks" are in the west end of Kitchener and when everything is working I can get all of Waterloo County very well. Recently I have had serious problems. I did not know the control channels were changing to ones I my not have in my order. I get Wellington and Brant well also, but not very good with Perth and Oxford.

69stiles

Can't say I listen to much other than fire. Before I had a better understanding of how this system works, I could never understand how I could hear Maryhill crystal clear & a KFd truck so much closer to "the sticks" was so weak. It obviously makes sense & wow what an improvement. I hope they keep it this way & see benefits all over. I know coverage for KFd in Pioneer park was always weak & a repeater was installed on Pump 6. Not sure if the new Maple Grove tower & the expansion of using more towers will help a low lying area like that.

Kibble

Premium Subscriber
When you listen to Wilmot, Wellesley,Woolwich and North Dumfies, does their signal vary at all ?? I notice when I am having trouble with the three cites FD's I still get the others really well.Theoretically that should not happen should it ??

69stiles

That's exactly my point. It should happen because those rurals you mentioned are bouncing off all the towers but the inner city FD's are specific to their local few

bluwest

Premium Subscriber
I live in New Hamburg and now can get the Kitchener Fire Dept great on my BCT8 even with out a antenna on it I get it. Before I couldnt get KFD worth a darn. They did for sure make some improvements on the baden tower I think at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.