Waterloo Regional Police Service-New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
This afternoon (12/03/09) the Waterloo Regional Police Service were starting a new radio system. I am receiving their radio traffic very 10-2 on the old EDACS sytem. I wonder if the "new system" is just new towers and repeaters as opposed to a totally new system. Or is the new system just not up and the 10-2 reception is a coincidence.

Has anyone else heard anything about a new system?

Cheers!

Muxlow

Super Secret
Maybe they upgraded from AEGIS to PROVOICE and just call it a new system?
Do you have a tapped radio and Unitrunker?

SCPD

QRT
Reply To Muxlow

I have a BCD996XT and a USB-1 cable. Also have Trunk88 but I haven't been able to get it working.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Download Unitrunker and get a radio you wouldnt mind putting a discriminator tap into.
Then park it on the data channel and you should get all the LCN's and such
I dont think the city would of kicked the edacs system. Maybe just changed the frequencies around or something

Do you have a hit on any new channels? Try scanning the 800 band and listen for the edacs data channel sound then post it on here.. or what ever you think might be it.

69stiles

The control channels are changing numerous times a day. Ocassionally one of the voice channels gets tested as a control channel but has no voice. That is when you will get dead air. Just hit hold then lockout if you are stuck on a phony control channel & the radio should grab a valid control channel. Check out all the other Waterloo Region posts over the last month or so.

bluwest

Premium Subscriber
Here is a Waterloo Region PDF document outlining some of the upgrade that will be happening. Also there is a new tower near the 401. They are not switching out the edacs systems, but are finding out what freq's work best where.
hXXp://chd.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/Region.nsf/8ef02c0fded0c82a85256e590071a3ce/F4E1F2BBA7DB1ABA8525746E0052DCE3/$file/CR-FM-08-019.pdf

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thats a nice bit of info... Thanks for sharing that. Between London and KW MA-COM/Harris had themselves a few nice little projects this year!

Lexxx

Here is a Waterloo Region PDF document outlining some of the upgrade that will be happening. Also there is a new tower near the 401. They are not switching out the edacs systems, but are finding out what freq's work best where.
http://chd.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/Region.nsf/8ef02c0fded0c82a85256e590071a3ce/F4E1F2BBA7DB1ABA8525746E0052DCE3/$file/CR-FM-08-019.pdf

Excellent

Many thanks for this. Answers a few questions about the odd behavior of the system recently.

Thanks

Muxlow

Super Secret
Guess they had to make up for the loss in sarnia. Well.. didnt really loose THAT much
How many edacs systems are in ontario? Like... 10 or less?

Chatham-Kent - Provoice
London - Aegis/Provoice-ENC
Brantford - Provoice
Kitchner-Waterloo - Aegis (maybe now provoice)
Peterborough - Provice

scanman9

Waterloo Regional police service

i also had a problem with my scanner 996t i had to put all the control channels in unlocked with lcn#s and i got it to work. good luck hope this helps.

bent6969

As I stated in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/eastern-canada-radio-discussion-forum/159379-region-waterloo.html , LCN's 12,13,14, and 16 are NOT currently linked to the control channel that serves up our regions radio transmissions (fire/police/transit/municipal/etc). Those 4 channels have however been linked together with a new control channel as a new system of sorts - which we have yet to obtain any real info for.

If your scanner is getting stuck (or quiet) every now and then (due to being hung up on this other CC), simply lockout those channels so they will not be scanned. The mentioned channels have NO related traffic whatsoever anyways as they are part of a new system.

69stiles - even edacs radios would have this problem if they were configured incorrectly. I'm positive this is something that has not been overlooked...

Edit: Just fired up the scanner to take a look at that second CC(system) again, and as of 11:30pm EST it appears to be gone. Also, the LCN ordering (transmit selection) has been modified, and now includes the channels I previously indicated weren't part of the system. Maybe they were just doing some advanced radio tests afterall? Current CC in use is LCN #9 (or 866.475mhz) - a channel I've not seen used before...

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

Guess they had to make up for the loss in sarnia. Well.. didnt really loose THAT much
How many edacs systems are in ontario? Like... 10 or less?

Chatham-Kent - Provoice
London - Aegis/Provoice-ENC
Brantford - Provoice
Kitchner-Waterloo - Aegis (maybe now provoice)
Peterborough - Provice

Are you sure Peterborough is Provoice? I thought it was AEGIS? You can add Ottawa and Sudbury to the list of Provoice cities.

Muxlow

Super Secret
When i had my MRK it was aegis, and was around that area for a little bit and didnt hear anything. Unless they just didnt use that talk group or are enc with it
Guess i should of looked at my screen on the MRK. If it was PV it would show busy on the screen but now let the audio out.
And opps.. forgot about them 2 cities haha

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed the system has a different sound or tone to it now and I think I can hear the voter click at the end of the transmissions similar to the Toronto 3C08 system sounds like.

All in all it sounds great though and I haven't heard a bad signal yet although I have heard a few transmissions were the voter was slow in choosing the correct site.

As I stated in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/eastern-canada-radio-discussion-forum/159379-region-waterloo.html , LCN's 12,13,14, and 16 are NOT currently linked to the control channel that serves up our regions radio transmissions (fire/police/transit/municipal/etc). Those 4 channels have however been linked together with a new control channel as a new system of sorts - which we have yet to obtain any real info for.

If your scanner is getting stuck (or quiet) every now and then (due to being hung up on this other CC), simply lockout those channels so they will not be scanned. The mentioned channels have NO related traffic whatsoever anyways as they are part of a new system.

69stiles - even edacs radios would have this problem if they were configured incorrectly. I'm positive this is something that has not been overlooked...

Edit: Just fired up the scanner to take a look at that second CC(system) again, and as of 11:30pm EST it appears to be gone. Also, the LCN ordering (transmit selection) has been modified, and now includes the channels I previously indicated weren't part of the system. Maybe they were just doing some advanced radio tests afterall? Current CC in use is LCN #9 (or 866.475mhz) - a channel I've not seen used before...

Status
Not open for further replies.