Watson WRP-2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintAadon

Premium Subscriber
Ok here's what i want to do and i need to know if its going to work if not ill save myself alot of money. I have a PSR-600 when i try to listen to the trunked system i want to it only gets about from 10% to 20% when i analyze it i was wondering if i added the above amp (Watson WRP-2500) if this is going to give me any kind of noticeable increase in signal strength right now my scanner is not located at my house and i'm still trying to dial it in so you can see my problem my current antenna is the passive Watson nomad as i have no room as of yet for a discone but when i do it will be located in my attic.

any help would be great
Tim NooB

SCPD

QRT
You have to understand that the general construction of most scanners is such that they have a very wide open front end that is prone to intermodulation. From most people that own a PSR500, the scanner doesn't do well when connected to a high gain external antenna.

As such, if you live in an urban area with many strong signals (from pagers etc), that you will probably not do well with the preamp. However if you live in a rural area .. you should be fine.

The GRE PSR500 is not designed to work well with external antennas, even though the owners manual clearly shows that you can use them. I would proceed with caution as your results may not be favorable.

A friend of mine actually returned his PSR500 cause it was just very saturated in the VHF Hi band and didn't perform well on his external antenna.

darrylcn

I stopped using the balcony mounted antenna I have with my PSR-500 about 2 days after I bought the scanner. Thing is (and this may sound like BS) my PSR-500 with a rubber duck performs better than my SC-180 does with the antenna I have on my deck. I can literally hear stuff with my PSR-500/RD sitting on the couch that my SC-180/ext antenna misses. I can't explain it. I'm in a built up residential apartment neighborhood, not the country. It works for me because I can use my 180 to hear fire pages and just keep the PSR on our police channels. Keeps me from missing stuff on either.

Status
Not open for further replies.