Wawasee Black Cat JB 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

scancat23

Hello!!
I'm just trying to dig up some info on the JB 75 mobile 10 meter amplifier by Wawasee electronics. If anyone has any knowledge of these amplifiers, I'd be happy to hear what you know. Thanks and 73.

mastr

Ok here goes. It isn't really a "10 meter" amplifier, the maker (based in Indiana) only called it that in a weak attempt to conceal the fact that 99 percent of these were/are used illegally on CB radios. If I recall correctly, it used a single 8417 tube, grid driven. When the amp is tuned improperly or driven too hard the power supply transistors will fail in seconds. This failure is very common, at one time I could change those transistors in about 8 minutes.

I have only a little advice.

(A) If you are thinking about using this on a CB, do your self a favor and throw it away before you get in trouble. Probably not with the FCC, but with some guy on one of the several channels on each side of where you think your signal is.

(B)If you are a ham and want to use it on "10 meters", strongly consider selling it to a CB user or tossing it in the nearest trash can. A good 100w HF radio is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.