Wayne Co, MI Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to make a note. I love the website and use the database all the time. With that said I really don't like the new format for Wayne Co, Mi. It seems a FCC license dump of the county was added. I can't tell you how many of those frequencies are not in use, if ever. Further, several cities were added that are not even located in Wayne county, seems they may have been added because the license address came back to a address in Wayne Co.

I like the idea of identifying the frequency before adding it to the database, if someone has actually found a frequency active, but can't id it or it's use, it could be talked about in the forums to help try to identify it first, much like we do with talkgroups. With the way things are right now, if someone were to visit Wayne Co. Mi and used the database, they would very likely fill their radio up with a lot of junk! I used to own a Betty Bearcat frequency directory and I hated it, because they used this format.

Like I said I love the website, but I don't think adding a blind FCC dump is a good idea, it was more accurate before the changes. I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Paul

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I have removed all the unidentified frequencies from the Wayne Co. page. It appears that someone pressed a "build new county from FCC data" button in the admin page for the county. It is button that should not be pressed at this stage of development (as a matter of fact, I am not sure why it is still there) and what it does is take every frequency in the FCC DB that is not in the RR DB and put it on the county page.

In any case anything that is still there that should not be will have to handled by "submission" seeking removal. The unidentified ones were easy to spot for someone in Texas, but local stuff I will leave to local folks to point out. ;)

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Loumagg,

Thanks for the quick response to Paul's post. Perhaps I am not understanding something and if I am not, please just set it straight.

Why is Thunderbolt not handling the Michigan Stuff? He has done a fantastic job at keeping things in line and keeping abreast of everything that happens in Michigan. I understand that it looks like a simple mistake occurred.

I would like to see the folks that are in a particular state have the say so in what happens to a states page, and then there should not be many "admins" that update it. I vote for Ron taking back over as the Admin of the Michigan stuff. He is more knowledgeable than most people think he is, and he is always up to date with the current data.

If someone wants to help him but keep in touch with Ron before they make any database changes I think it would be fine.

Please just help me understand why this was changed and now all the sudden we are seeing errors in the database.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I had nothing to do with the changes to that particular page. However, if everyone would send in any corrections, I will take care of them.

Thanks,

Ron

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...Why is Thunderbolt not handling the Michigan Stuff? He has done a fantastic job at keeping things in line and keeping abreast of everything that happens in Michigan. I understand that it looks like a simple mistake occurred.

I would like to see the folks that are in a particular state have the say so in what happens to a states page, and then there should not be many "admins" that update it. I vote for Ron taking back over as the Admin of the Michigan stuff. He is more knowledgeable than most people think he is, and he is always up to date with the current data.

If someone wants to help him but keep in touch with Ron before they make any database changes I think it would be fine.

Please just help me understand why this was changed and now all the sudden we are seeing errors in the database.
Eric,

Ron is able, as am I and the other global admins, and capable of handling the MI submissions as well as submissions anywhere else in the database. Other than the global admins, there is only one other "regional" admin capable of working on MI stuff.

I agree with everything you said in the second paragraph quoted above with the exception that I think most people know that Ron is very knowledgeable about things in MI; indeed, he has his fingers on the pulse of what is happening in most of the US, which is why he has been a global admin for longer than I have been part of the staff here at RR and previously on TRN.

I also agree, in principle, that whenever someone wants to change something that is not their particular area of expertise, they should at least coordinate with those that are; sometimes stuff happens. As for the understanding you seek...I guess I don't have an answer for you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.