Wayne County NY P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolMan13

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any information if wayne county will upgrade to digital? Some of the towns and The sheriffs office have new APX 4000XEs and new APX mobiles in the newer cars same with Wayne County ALS getting newer APX mobiles don’t think they have new portables still using the XTS2500s

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Why do you think they are going to P25 ? I assume as they replace radios they go to APX as the XTS/XTL series is NLA. Just because its an APX does not mean its even P25.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
APX options are all flash code based. All depends on what they purchase. Just because folks use P25 in the area does not mean everyone needs P25. Lots of agencies on analog and new analog simulcast stuff is installed every day.

Joshuascanner2021

Premium Subscriber
I have always wondered if Wayne County would ever go digital. It does make them (Wayne County) and Yates County the odd ball ones staying on analog. Maybe someday Wayne will but I don't see Yates doing it but you never know.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
I have always wondered if Wayne County would ever go digital. It does make them (Wayne County) and Yates County the odd ball ones staying on analog. Maybe someday Wayne will but I don't see Yates doing it but you never know.
i was just in wayne county the other day for national guard related work. i programmed up the sheriffs dispatch channel and the dispatcher sounded like someone whos been in that seat for decades

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
TYFS (thank you for your support).. also on the topic of P25… all radios designed for law enforcement/first responder use manufacturered in the United States since several years ago must be P25 capable… it’s up to depts/agencies what they want to do after that

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
also on the topic of P25… all radios designed for law enforcement/first responder use manufacturered in the United States since several years ago must be P25 capable… it’s up to depts/agencies what they want to do after that
That sounds like some rubbish a salesman would say, because it's not accurate.

Any radios purchased with federal grant funds must be P25 capable* and meet P25 CAP (Compliance Assessment Program) standards. That's the rule you're probably thinking of, however it most certainly does not apply to every public safety radio.

There is no law that prohibits a public safety agency from purchasing a MOTOTRBO system and subscribers, for example, which are not capable of P25 (i.e. the XPR line, which is analog and DMR/TRBO only). They can't purchase that equipment using federal funds, but they are perfectly within their rights to buy and use whatever the like with non-federal funding.

* The radios merely have to be capable of P25 either out-of-the-box or by way of future upgrade; they do not have to have P25 enabled/provisioned at the time of purchase.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
That sounds like some rubbish a salesman would say, because it's not accurate.

Any radios purchased with federal grant funds must be P25 capable* and meet P25 CAP (Compliance Assessment Program) standards. That's the rule you're probably thinking of, however it most certainly does not apply to every public safety radio.

There is no law that prohibits a public safety agency from purchasing a MOTOTRBO system and subscribers, for example, which are not capable of P25 (i.e. the XPR line, which is analog and DMR/TRBO only). They can't purchase that equipment using federal funds, but they are perfectly within their rights to buy and use whatever the like with non-federal funding.

* The radios merely have to be capable of P25 either out-of-the-box or by way of future upgrade; they do not have to have P25 enabled/provisioned at the time of purchase.
True didn’t word it right… hey didn’t wappingers falls PD go DMR? I mean overall it is cheaper then P25 infrastructure

LolMan13

Premium Subscriber
Why would wayne county waste money on apx 4000 and new apx mobiles if they aren’t gonna use then to there full capability’s.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why would wayne county waste money on apx 4000 and new apx mobiles if they aren’t gonna use then to there full capability’s.
It's not a waste of money. There are very few options out there today for new public safety radios that aren't capable of P25 or trunking. Doesn't mean you have to order them with all of the features enabled, they can instead be purchased as analog radios if that is what is needed. In the grand scheme of things, the APX 4x00 series is relatively affordable...all radios these days cost an arm and a leg. This was already explained a few months ago.

LolMan13

Premium Subscriber
They need to spend more money into there radio system last time i knew there dispatcher were using junk chinese radios

Status
Not open for further replies.