WCCCA CAD Incident Map No Longer Available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick heads up on WCCCA's online CAD incident mapping...

"The Public Incident Tracking System (PITS) is no longer available. This has no effect on our public safety operations as PITS is a seperate system. Our center is transitioning to a new Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD system) and the availability of similar feeds will be evaluated after the transition."

WCCCA For Citizens

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
We were so lucky to have it to begin with...just happy I was able to find it (and sometimes utilize the info) after all these years.

I just updated a few wikis to reflect the change.

taborj

Wow, that was sudden. I was just looking at it yesterday...

Agree with PMJ2kx, I'm just glad I was able to use the site when I had it available.

ORE007

Feed Provider
I heard the rumor someone tried to hack the site and they took it down. Their new CAD system is still at least a year out.

JeremyMorgan

It's a little more complicated than that. The PITS feed was on civicapps.org as a public data source, and many people used it for various applications, including myself.

There were two different approaches to accessing this data. My application (FireCom for Android) and another individual's app (FireCom for iPhone) were on demand, so when the person using the app requested the data, it would hit PITS, parse it and return it to the app. This uses the same amount of load as someone going to the website.

Other applications that attached to it used more of a polling model, so they hit the site every few seconds or minutes and grabbed the data, and stored it. If anything new came along, they'd store the new updated calls. This creates an additional load on the site, equivalent so someone visiting it once a minute, or whatever interval was set. (Much higher load)

Recently, the website started to slow down considerably, and ( I assume ) WCCCA wanted to eliminate any outside sources of problems. They put a CAPTCHA on the site to prevent robots from crawling the site and getting the data anymore. At this point all applications stopped working.

Then one of the people developing the polling style application bypassed the CAPTCHA mechanism, and at that point WCCCA decided to remove the web portion altogether. I don't have any official communication with anyone at WCCCA but I believe the two to be related.

The PITS system was running on an old server with old software so it likely wasn't handling the load very well. With a new system upgrade in the works it likely wasn't worth their time to try and figure out how to make it run.

*** Disclaimer *** I am not affiliated with WCCCA in any way and don't speak for them.

I just wanted to put this info here because as far as I know WCCCA was not hacked, and I don't want that information spreading around. Rumors travel fast, and that one could shake the confidence of the public, and/or damage the reputation of the agency and that wouldn't be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.